[Mk2] [NA] Grinding noise from front wheel

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tezmc

[Mk2] [NA] Grinding noise from front wheel

Post by tezmc »

Just a quick question (hopefully!). I raised my front coilovers a bit last night but now have a grinding noise coming from the front N/S wheel. It's regular with every revolution of the wheel and increases in regularity as the speed does.

I have a feeling it might be the backing plate fouling somewhere as I tried to push it away from the disc and the whole lot seemed to crumble. Can you still get these from Toyota?

Any other suggestions on what it could be please? Cheers
Nic

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Grinding noise from front wheel

Post by Nic »

Sounds like it could be the dust guard rubbing on the disc or a caliper is seized. You can still buy the guards from Toyota, alternatively you could just cut it away and run without.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Donato

Post by Donato »

If you've not touched anything else, then i'd suggest it might be the backing plate touching the disc. It's happened to me before :thumleft:
tezmc

Post by tezmc »

Cheers, I'll have a closer look when I go to my workshop tomorrow evening. I assume there's no real disadvantage to cutting them off other than the slight risk of getting stones caught?

I did notice that wheel was quite warm after just a 2 mile journey, but the previous owner said all 4 calipers had been refurbished recently.
tezmc

Post by tezmc »

An update, I pulled the dust guard off but the noise was still there.

When I took the wheel off, I noticed some light grinding marks on the inside edge that might be from the coilover adjuster rings. I spaced the wheels out a further 3mm (making 8mm in total) and went for a quick drive. The wheels seem to spin freely when the car is on axle stands, but I'm getting a clicking noise from the front N/S wheel when driving. It's once per revolution, increasing in speed as the car does.

Any other ideas? The wheels are Enkei RP-01, the fronts are 17x8 ET35. Should I be having issues with these fitting correctly? I'm at a bit of a loss now, as the O/S wheel seems to be fine.

Thanks
Baker

Post by Baker »

probably now have a stone/nail in the tyre tread now.

Return to “Mechanical”