[Mk2] [NA] removing fule pump

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

racingrepairs

Re: [Mk2] [NA] removing fule pump

Post by racingrepairs »

That's not so bad for piece of mind.

My tubby one is on god knows how many miles. Do we hear of pumps packing up or is that a rare?
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Whilst I haven't personally heard of one packing up, the cars are getting to that sort of age and mileage that I can imagine they have seen better days and must be on their way out soon. I'm sure someone will be along soon with a horror story of a dead fuel pump.

I've had mine replaced just for peace of mind... Not the sort of thing you want packing up on you when your either in the middle of no-where, on a long journey, or on a track. Its cheap for peace of mind in my books :thumleft:
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
racingrepairs

Post by racingrepairs »

I agree, new it is :thumleft:
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Whatever you do, don't attempt to drop the tank with the engine in place, what a pain in the ar$e! Still not out after 2.5 hours faffing around
ashley

Post by ashley »

What are you struggling with? I've done it a few times now- might be able to help out with a few tips if you're interested?
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Just access around the pipe work. I've got the heatshields off, there is a metal fuel pipe with a union nut on, this is seized, but I think I can get round this by unbolting the hard pipe from the fuel filter and removing the lot.

It's proving difficult as I have an xspower downpipe with cat, so it's quite chunky, not leaving much room. The cuts and grazes all over my hands tell the story
ashley

Post by ashley »

Yeah- I can relate to that, you should see the state of my arms having swapped out my cambelt and pulleys 2 or 3 times last week trying to work out what the noise is on my engine...I look like I've been attacked by a cat with pmt!

Have fun with the breather pipes- they are the ones I always struggle with with the engine still in, then it's getting the main filler pipe back on when you put the tank back in :whistle:

Good luck!

:thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Thinking about it- taking the line off the fuel filter probably won't help you- it would be proper difficult trying to thread that hard line down through the bulkhead when you actually start dropping the tank :-k
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

I'm sure thats how I did it when I fitted the Walbro last September. It bends a little but not too bad. If only I fitted it properly the first time, I wouldn't be pulling it apart now
ashley

Post by ashley »

Sweet- I wasn't sure, good luck getting it done buddy :thumleft:
racingrepairs

Post by racingrepairs »

Fozzy wrote:Just access around the pipe work. I've got the heatshields off, there is a metal fuel pipe with a union nut on, this is seized, but I think I can get round this by unbolting the hard pipe from the fuel filter and removing the lot.

It's proving difficult as I have an xspower downpipe with cat, so it's quite chunky, not leaving much room. The cuts and grazes all over my hands tell the story

Get a blow torch on it :lol:

Only messing, mine was stuck badly but mole grips worked... You could cut it and replace with braided...

Return to “Mechanical”