Failed fuel pump? Melted in tank wiring

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Fozzy

Failed fuel pump? Melted in tank wiring

Post by Fozzy »

It would appear my fuel pump has failed. I have been having problems with the car cutting out. Having pulled my centre console apart and checked the wiring, I'm getting voltage from the car loom but the pump seems to be lifeless, even when I supply it with a direct 12v feed. I did notice the other day before it failed completely, when it ran it kind of pulsed a bit.

I know its difficult to really tell without dropping the tank, but has anyone had a pump fail, or coud it be a wiring fault. I should probably mention I dropped the tank and fitted a rogue Motorsport pump. This is only a few months old, and the cars done maybe 500 miles. I'm a bit gutted, as I hoped by replacing the pump I'd never have to touch the tank again :shock:
Last edited by Fozzy on Sat May 11, 2013 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobhatton

Re: Failed fuel pump? Melted in tank wiring

Post by bobhatton »

I understand their pumps are made in China
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

bobhatton wrote:I understand their pumps are made in China

So are iPhones...

Fozzy, give us a shout tomorrow and we'll see what we can do for you.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Rogue wrote:
bobhatton wrote:I understand their pumps are made in China

So are iPhones...

Fozzy, give us a shout tomorrow and we'll see what we can do for you.

And I would never have one of those.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

bobhatton wrote:And I would never have one of those.

In fairness, neither would I but I couldn't find a South Korean supplier for fuel pumps... :lol:
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Rogue wrote:
bobhatton wrote:And I would never have one of those.

In fairness, neither would I but I couldn't find a South Korean supplier for fuel pumps... :lol:

I will send you over the info on the Samsung Hyflow pumps :thumleft: :thumleft:
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Did the Chinese do something bad to you Mr Bob? :-k

All your posts revolve around not touching anything from China. Your house must be very bare if nothing in there comes from there.

Sorry for thread highjack
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Odin_S wrote:Did the Chinese do something bad to you Mr Bob? :-k

All your posts revolve around not touching anything from China. Your house must be very bare if nothing in there comes from there.

Sorry for thread highjack

Yes.

I am just very fed up buying things that fail after a short time and are very poor quality. Chines companies buy up all our scrap metal, copy our designs and sell us back inferior products.

They also put too much salt in their take ways, trying to kill us all.
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Finally got the tank out to find a quite worrying sight

Anyone care to explain why my in tank wiring has melted and burned into this mess :shock:
mr2mk2dotcom

Post by mr2mk2dotcom »

Has it shorted out where you have tie wrapped it to the fuel pipe? It's burnt out at one side of the wire but not at the other.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Check to see if the pump will run just giving it 12v on the bench. If it does do not run it for more that a second or two.
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

How was that wire joined? A little hard to tell from the pic whether it was soldered or some sort of disintegrated crimp.
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

The pump is fine, it was crimped with the ones supplied with the pump. My guess is that it was cheap crap that couldn't handle the amps. The joints are now soldered properly and heatshrunk, so no more problems.

If that pump fails now im not taking the tank out again, I'd rather break it
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

It definitely looks to me like the connection joining the two wires was the issue. Did you use a proper crimping tool to make it or a pair of pliers? It wasn't a short circuit because it's the ground wire that's failed, and that can touch anything but a live wire without issue. If the red wire had chafed on anything metal then that would have caused a short circuit.

Assuming that the EFI fuse is the correct rating then an overcurrent - caused by something such as the pump seizing - should have blown the fuse. This looks more like electricity was arcing between the two joined ground wires.

You need to be very clear that the heatshrink you've used is safe for petrol. If not it will simply dissolve, exposing your wires and putting you at risk of short circuit (as well as contaminating your fuel). I always use crimped connections within the fuel tank for just this reason.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Fozzy wrote:The pump is fine, it was crimped with the ones supplied with the pump. My guess is that it was cheap crap that couldn't handle the amps. The joints are now soldered properly and heatshrunk, so no more problems.

If that pump fails now im not taking the tank out again, I'd rather break it

Did you test the pump before you put it back in? (I'm sure you did, just checking!)
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Rogue wrote:

You need to be very clear that the heatshrink you've used is safe for petrol. If not it will simply dissolve, exposing your wires and putting you at risk of short circuit (as well as contaminating your fuel). I always use crimped connections within the fuel tank for just this reason.

bu88er, I didn't consider that. I used proper crimp pliers on it, not cheap ones either. The way the 2 ends of the wire look I'd say that the crimp connector had split, causing high resistance and arcing.

I thought I'd be better off with soldered connectors. Is that likely to be more dangerous now? I really don't want to have to take the tank out again
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

Fozzy wrote:
Rogue wrote:
I thought I'd be better off with soldered connectors. Is that likely to be more dangerous now? I really don't want to have to take the tank out again

Definitely better off with soldered connections, it's just as Patrick says not all heat shrink is compatible with petrol. If you don't want to dismantle everything again just take some of your heatshrink and drop it into a jar of petrol and see how it gets on.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”