[Mk2] [Turbo] Need Help identifying a TT Stage One Hybrid CT26 - NOW WITH PICS

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Danbob

[Mk2] [Turbo] Need Help identifying a TT Stage One Hybrid CT26 - NOW WITH PICS

Post by Danbob »

I need to find out for sure if my turbo is a hybrid or not before I potentially replace it with a CT20B

Here is the story:

The previous owner of my engine bought it in a car which was sold to him about 8 years ago by a small tuning company, it was their ‘demo car’ with lairy gold flip paint job etc. He was told that the car had a Turbo Technics Stage 1 hybrid turbo fitted. He then crashed the car and kept the engine.

According to him (I know him, so he isn’t lying intentionally, but may not have all the facts right) he took the car to Turbo technics and they recognized the car and confirmed it had one of their turbo’s (Again about 8 years ago)

When I got the car I asked TT how to identify one of their turbo’s, they told me there should be a plaque glued to the actuator bracket, however the actuator bracket was loose on the engine when I got it, so I cannot be sure it is the one originally fitted.

SO

Before I replace this turbo with a potentially worse second hand CT20B. I want to find out for sure.

I will take some pics of the compressor wheel today and will try to get the elbow and cat off on Friday and take pics of the exhaust side.

Can anybody show me what to look for to confirm if it is a hybrid?

Anyone have a photo of a Stage 1 Compressor housing/Wheel and Turbine that I can compare against??

Cheers

Dan
Last edited by Danbob on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Race Idiot

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Need Help identifying a TT Stage One Hybrid CT26 - NOW WITH PICS

Post by Race Idiot »

I had a TT hybrid a few years back, it did come with the plaque but it wasnt attached to anything.

iirc one major thing compared to a stock CT26 was the wastegate ports had been enlarged.
Danbob

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Need Help identifying a TT Stage One Hybrid CT26 - NOW WITH PICS

Post by Danbob »

Interesting that it wasn't attached to anything, gives me some hope. Were you just given the plaque loose then?

I'll measure up the wastegate ports when I get the elbow off, wastegate could have been ported seperately I suppose though, was their no difference to the compressor side?
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Different companies will have different specs. There is no definition for "stage 1" or "stage 2" etc.

But it is common for stage 1 CT26 turbos to use a Garrett TO4 "B" compressor wheel. I've never seen any wastegate porting done to a stage 1 turbo.
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

OK, well the theory is this is a Turbo Technics Stage 1 specifically.

I'll be popping to the garage at lunch to get photo's of the compressor side, so with a bit of luck might get my answer!

Cheers
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Danbob

Post by Danbob »

Cheers, but my work computer can't see the pics in that thread for some reason.

Will the Supra CT26 hybrid be the same as the MR2 CT26 hybrid? I suppose it might be same on compressor side but different on exhaust side. THink part number for MR2 CT26 is S148
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Danbob wrote:Cheers, but my work computer can't see the pics in that thread for some reason.

Will the Supra CT26 hybrid be the same as the MR2 CT26 hybrid? I suppose it might be same on compressor side but different on exhaust side. THink part number for MR2 CT26 is S148

http://www.turbotechnics.com/docs/catalogue.pdf

MR2 Stage 1 hybrid
2.0L P
1990-95 3SG-TE CT26 Custom T
S148-1
240-380 BHP W

Celica 4WD Stage 1 hybrid
2.0L P
1988-90 3SG-TE CT26 Custom T
S148
240-380 BHP W

I dont have the turbo anyore but I think mine was just labeled S148. I bought mine secondhand from a guy here, he never used it and possibly the porting was done by the previous owner. It worked great, dynoed at around 300bhp with just basic boltons.

Didnt spool as fast as a ct20 tho. Was allright for about 50,000 miles and then one of the exhaust blades snapped off.
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

I have some good news! Took some photo's at lunchtime. My definately standard spare turbo has a compressor wheel with 5 double blades.

The Suspected hybrid has 6 double blades. So there is definately some difference!

Although many of the photo's I've found online of TT hybrid CT26's have 7 blades, so it's not conclusive yet

Any idea's? I will try to get pics to work on my works computer

Cheers
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

Standard Compressor

Compressor from the suspected Hybrid

I am now convinced that it is a hybrid. But the pic of a turbo technics hybrid I've seen had 7 blades not 6, so maybe it is from somewhere else,

Any ideas?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Take the comp covers off and measure the wheels.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

I'm not planning on taking the hybrid off the car now that I know it isn't a standard CT26, think it will be difficult to get to the big snap ring with it in place on the car.

I've sent the pics to turbo technics now, maybe they will respond.

The turbo in this thread - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=817977

Is identified as a Turbo technics S148 hybrid by the plaque it had.

And it has a different compressor wheel again. So perhaps I was told half the truth, it is a hybrid, but maybe from a different source.

Maybe the exhaust side will tell more
rat-runner

Post by rat-runner »

it look likes a fensport stage 1 compressor wheel
maybe i'm wrong, can you show the other side?
greeny

Post by greeny »

The turbo technics hybrid i had years ago had a single port wastegate on it instead of the standard twin port gate.
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....

Return to “Modifications”