[Mk2] [Turbo] 3sgte oil pump questions

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

h20490

[Mk2] [Turbo] 3sgte oil pump questions

Post by h20490 »

After sorting out the headgasket (cometic/ARP headstuds/top end) and rebuilding the top end and replacing all the belts after 1500 miles ive just found a leak and its coming from the oil pump :evil:

bought a proper lemon.

can a rev3 oil pump fit a rev2 without any/much modification?

and where's the best place to get an oem one?

wish I hadnt diagnosed the leak today I can see it just dripping out when I start the car. so looks like im without a car again
badgerbob

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] 3sgte oil pump questions

Post by badgerbob »

http://www.tcbparts.co.uk/

cheapest place I found :thumleft:
h20490

Post by h20490 »

Awesome cheers for that link :D

How much do you think a garage would charge to get this fitted as I really CBA taking the belts off to do this?
h20490

Post by h20490 »

Found out some information on this thread which has cleared up most of my questions.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 9ebed8e4c3
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

h20490 wrote:After sorting out the headgasket (cometic/ARP headstuds/top end) and rebuilding the top end and replacing all the belts after 1500 miles ive just found a leak and its coming from the oil pump :evil:

bought a proper lemon.

can a rev3 oil pump fit a rev2 without any/much modification?

and where's the best place to get an oem one?

wish I hadnt diagnosed the leak today I can see it just dripping out when I start the car. so looks like im without a car again

Where is the oil leaking from? I have never known one to leak before.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
ashley

Post by ashley »

More likely to be the crank oil seal, which do have a reputation for leaking after lots of miles/ years :thumleft:
h20490

Post by h20490 »

I would be replacing the oil pump , crank oil seal and waterpump if Im doing this job.

I dont think it is the crank oil seal as the area has been cleaned and checked a few times and deffo seems like its from the oil pump :(
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

h20490 wrote:I would be replacing the oil pump , crank oil seal and waterpump if Im doing this job.

I dont think it is the crank oil seal as the area has been cleaned and checked a few times and deffo seems like its from the oil pump :(

But where on the oil pump is it leaking from? Are all the bolts tight?
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
gavinda

Post by gavinda »

have you checked its not dripping down back of engine from camcover corner (problem on rev2 head) above alternator or cam seals if youve had cams out. this is more likely than the pump leaking.
h20490

Post by h20490 »

bobhatton wrote:
h20490 wrote:I would be replacing the oil pump , crank oil seal and waterpump if Im doing this job.

But where on the oil pump is it leaking from? Are all the bolts tight?

Its coming from the bottom part of the housing. all the bolts are tight. only leaks when I start the car hope that helps.
h20490

Post by h20490 »

another look and as Bob says its ACTUALLY coming from the crank end seal :(

I think im just going to take the engine out and rebuild it or get another and get all the servicable parts done to it and fitted in.

My mr2 ownership hasnt been too great so far and im only 1.5k miles in :(
ashley

Post by ashley »

h20490 wrote: as Bob says

ashley wrote:More likely to be the crank oil seal, which do have a reputation for leaking after lots of miles/ years :thumleft:

:whistle:

You don't need to strip the engine to change the seal mate, it's a hassle but you can do it with the engine in situ :thumleft:
h20490

Post by h20490 »

I know Ash :oops:

But at least I owned up to it.

I know it can be done it situ but as its already had all the belts recently replaced and my turbo is also looking like it needs to be replaced, the best option is to take it out.

With it out this means I can do the oil pump, crank seal , waterpump , turbo (c20b/GT28) and also do the hoses from hell whilst the engine is out as well as any other bits that might need doing.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

I have the repair kits for the CT26 and CT20B turbos if that needs to be repaired when the engine is out.
Please buy all the parts from Toyota, not from Ebay, you do not want to be doing the job again soon.
h20490

Post by h20490 »

bobhatton wrote:I have the repair kits for the CT26 and CT20B turbos if that needs to be repaired when the engine is out.
Please buy all the parts from Toyota, not from Ebay, you do not want to be doing the job again soon.

Dont worry Bob Ive rebuilt a Honda Crx turbo (b1a1 with a T28 Garret) before and used only Honda Parts and gaskets bar the ARP headbolts and flywheel bolts etc.

Like I say the head has been rebuilt with ARP parts and a Cometic triple layer headgasket.

Im so annyoed that the car has had a headgasket rebuild before me and they simply put the fabric one back on!? madness :?

I will probably grab one of the seal kits although I will deffo be replacing the turbo just weighing up options at the moment.

Thanks again guys

Return to “Mechanical”