Yokohama AD08s

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Marf

Re: Yokohama AD08s

Post by Marf »

Racer7 wrote:

On a side, I saw the thread title and I'm suprised Marf was so late to post! :mrgreen:

:oldtongue:
synXero

Post by synXero »

Marf wrote:
synXero wrote:

245/40/17s would cost me £330
215/40/17s would cost me £299

£629

Let's say £15 a corner to get them balanced legitimately.

£689 :silent: :sick: :-# :pale:

You gotta pay to play, looking at the thick end of 800 for a set for my RX.

For sure. On a daily though... Tough going. I'm all for good tyres and was planning on going Yoko but it really is a wad.

Still of you're going to fit Supra brakes you aren't going to buy Nankangs.
Marf

Post by Marf »

My view is that being a daily driven mid engined sports car and given the AD08s wet weather performance, using them is a no brainer IMO.
vishpish

Post by vishpish »

synXero wrote:
vishpish wrote:I'd say around 5k maybe a bit more but no chance it was near 10. Basically they lasted me about a year at a time which was just insanely expensive considering it was £320 for 15"s for my daily.

No question about it they are top quality tyres - probably the best for daily use in all conditions but you've got to go in with your eyes open and realise these are just not going to last as long as cheaper, harder rubber. Depends what you use your mr2 for after all.

You run a V6 though to be fair.

245/40/17s would cost me £330
215/40/17s would cost me £299

£629

Let's say £15 a corner to get them balanced legitimately.

£689 :silent: :sick: :-# :pale:

Man I wish I could've stuck them on my '2! I ran the AD08's on my lupo gti and most of the miles were daily driving with only occasional backroad use.

It all comes down to money at the end of the day. Nankangs and Wanlis used to be laughed at but I know people who have ran them and not complained. If I was looking for new tyres today I'd probably look at Falken. I really liked the FK452 as a good compromise.
Marf

Post by Marf »

vishpish wrote:Nankangs and Wanlis used to be laughed at but I know people who have ran them and not complained.

It's all about comparison and confirmation bias

I bet you the people who have not complained about budget brands have a) never driven a car on decent tyres and b) will of course say the tyres are good because they have to reinforce their decision to buy cheap tut.
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

vishpish wrote:I'd say around 5k maybe a bit more but no chance it was near 10. Basically they lasted me about a year at a time which was just insanely expensive considering it was £320 for 15"s for my daily.

5k miles... hmm I would have hoped for a bit better than that. But I guess I should be in a better position since I barely clock over 1k miles a year!

So 5 years use :) Works for me! As long as the compound doesn't deteriorate badly over time :-k
vishpish

Post by vishpish »

Marf wrote:
vishpish wrote:Nankangs and Wanlis used to be laughed at but I know people who have ran them and not complained.

It's all about comparison and confirmation bias

I bet you the people who have not complained about budget brands have a) never driven a car on decent tyres and b) will of course say the tyres are good because they have to reinforce their decision to buy cheap tut.

Mate you couldn't be more wrong. The two guys who bought those brands both ran really good rubber - Avon zz3s and Yoko's in addition to both of them driving my car with ad08s. I like how passionate you are for the Yokos but truth be told, for the money, and depending on use, there's better rubber out there! Jealous you haven't had to consider that if you can afford the good stuff all the time!
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

Trying to get on the AD08 train and I can't find them anywhere in 205/45/16...

Anyone know if these have been discontinued?

Part of the reason I moved away from the Falken 452s was because they only had 205/50/16 up front.

I've ordered the rears (225/45/16) so want a fully matched set but with the 45 profile. :pray:
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

Actually got through to Yokohama.

Apparently the AD08Rs are coming in now. So currently no stock on the AD08s.

Grr, so I have to wait now because I say on my ass too long. Let that be a lesson to you all. :lol:
Marf

Post by Marf »

Is the AD08R replacing the AD08 totally? i thought it was just another product in the range rather than a replacement.
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

Marf wrote:Is the AD08R replacing the AD08 totally? i thought it was just another product in the range rather than a replacement.

I'm fairly sure that's what the guy was saying. But there is apparently some product crossover when the new one drops.

One things for sure, no one has got 205/45/16s!
Marf

Post by Marf »

Oh well either way. So long as they don't jack up the pricing, I was already looking at 700+ for a set for the RX7 :pale:
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

Marf wrote:Oh well either way. So long as they don't jack up the pricing, I was already looking at 700+ for a set for the RX7 :pale:

Just to update...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... XBux6psPac

I don't think there is going to be any crossover with the AD08 and AD08Rs. The latter is a straight upgrade. I think pricing might be the same. Well, it better be as I've order AD08s and have essentially been told that when Yoko get stock in (which will almost definitely be the AD08Rs only) that's what I'll get.

Bit nervous now as I think that I got too much tyre for my daily driving... especially for the winter months!

Had the rears fitted today. Two down, two to go.

Stock is due in around end of July so still a while to wait. ](*,)
Marf

Post by Marf »

I've mailed Yokohama UK Sales to find out what the skinny is.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Yoko Sales wrote:Morning,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding Yokohama tyres.

The AD08R will be replacing the AD08 in this country, there will be a crossover period where both are for sale but once the AD08 stock levels have run down that will be it as production in Japan will all be AD08R.

Regards

Russell Barratt
Yokohama HPT Ltd
tel: +44 (0) 1908 625603
fax: +44 (0) 1908 625635
e. [email protected]
Draven

Post by Draven »

I've got AD08's on they are very good so far..
synXero

Post by synXero »

What's the price differential?

As far as I can tell, the only difference is we'll be getting a better tyre...? Unless the R is less highly rated for wet/cold use.
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

synXero wrote:What's the price differential?

As far as I can tell, the only difference is we'll be getting a better tyre...? Unless the R is less highly rated for wet/cold use.

Theoretically it'll be better. But not sure in what aspect. Yoko UK don't have the official product spec yet!

They said the same thing to me about the crossover period but when I called back they literally only have 1 AD08 in stock. So I suspec the crossover period won't happen as stockists have sold through their stock of the AD08s (hence I can't find some at all).

Only three more weeks to find out if I have some coming my way and if they AD08Rs.

They'll be on the fronts which is probably a good thing as it means the tried and tested AD08s are on the back/the place where it matters most!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”