[Mk2] [Turbo] Overheating Under Load

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mike

[Mk2] [Turbo] Overheating Under Load

Post by Mike »

After a rather "spirited" drive last weekend, the coolant temperature has started to increase immediately after moderate to heavy acceleration. I've topped up the coolant and bled a fair bit of air out of the system. I cant find any leaks and no signs of mayo in the usual places.

So symptoms are;

Temperature raises on the guage, anything from 3/4s to near enough the top under load.

When the temperature rises, no heat comes through the blowers.

Temperature returns to normal when cruising or maintaining a steady speed, including motorway speeds.

Temperature remains normal when stationery or in slow moving traffic.

The HG failed in early 2009 and was replaced with a steel gasket by 3S. At the time I fitted a new radiator and thermostat (it was a pattern part).

One thing I did notice when bleeding the system is that the radiator took a very long time to heat up, after 30mins of running the rad pipe on the passenger side was only warm whilst on the drivers side it was barely warm at all. That said it does eventually get up to temp.

So folks, any thoughts or theories?
bobhatton

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Overheating Under Load

Post by bobhatton »

First thing to do would be change the stat, but use a Toyota one not after market
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s

Return to “Mechanical”