track day tyres

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

sherwin1983

track day tyres

Post by sherwin1983 »

Hi,

I have a full set of track day tyres and a mk1 mr2 i have a boot rack to go on the rear engine pay from a MX5 it fits like magic. I am looking then to tie down the wheels to the boot rack useing rachet straps.

Anyone done this before?

Sherwin1983
kaiowas

Re: track day tyres

Post by kaiowas »

I've carried 3 on a rack before with the 4th in the frunk. Only did it once when I had no other option. Probably wouldn't do it as a matter of course though as it's quite a lot of weight for one of those racks to be carrying and I wouldn't be surprised if it broke loose in an accident.

If you're not carrying a passenger then 1 in the frunk, 1 in the passenger footwell and 2 on the passenger seat is probably a better alternative. (For ultimate wheel carrying ability you can get 6 lined up down the passenger side with the seat and dash removed...)
Ben

Post by Ben »

kaiowas wrote:
If you're not carrying a passenger then 1 in the frunk, 1 in the passenger footwell and 2 on the passenger seat is probably a better alternative.

Yep, I've done that a couple of times. Phil's right, I wouldn't want to make a habit of carrying three wheels on a rack :?
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

I am a little shorter than some owners, so I have carried one behind each seat, one in passenger footwell and one on passenger seat before. It wasn't the most comfortable journey, but it did mean I would have road legal tyres to drive home with (not that I bothered to swap them over)
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
synXero

Post by synXero »

Remove seats and sit in spare tyres :D

pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

Ive taken the passenger seat out and had one in the frunk 4 in passenger area and one behind drivers seat.
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

If you're doing a trackday where the track is all tarmac then I would just run your road tyres and not bother buying dedicated track tyres, you're not going to ruin a set on a tarmac track unless they're nearly gone anyway.

Different story on a concrete surface, obviously.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”