BC coil-overs

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR2Kyle

BC coil-overs

Post by MR2Kyle »

Right i know when you see this thread you will probably think "xxxx! Not another person asking about suspension!" :lol: And i am sorry for that. But in the past few threads i have read on BC's they have been all over the place so all i want to know (from BC owners/Users) is.

Are they fairly comfortable?
Are they reliable?
What effect does it have on the handling of the car?

Thanks and sorry once again :silent:
chrismanchr

Re: BC coil-overs

Post by chrismanchr »

I'm intrested in this also as my kyb dampers and original spring setup isnt as good as i hoped ,I'd like to be able to adjust the damping and ride height

it seems to ride high at the front ! weird lol
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

I thought your car is OK since you fitted Apex springs with the KYBs Chris :?
chrismanchr

Post by chrismanchr »

elbon50 wrote:I thought your car is OK since you fitted Apex springs with the KYBs Chris :?

apex springs were too low for the horendous speed humps I have on my road the first trip out in them and I scraped the underneath so theyre now sitting in the garage ,the car has the original springs on and the kyb dampers ,its ok but i feel the rides abit harsh sometimes ,you can feel everylittle stone the roads made off sometimes lol
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

They are hard IMHO. Depends on how much comfort you like!
MR2Kyle

Post by MR2Kyle »

Well i intend to use it as my daily so i dont want to be cursing my back every time i get out of it :roll: But in the same breath i guess you have to make a compromise sometimes :lol:
chrismanchr

Post by chrismanchr »

i think I'd love someone to take my mr2 away set the suspension up properly and bring it back as its a mine field lol
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

I have KYBs on the front of mine now & they seem fine

The springs I'm using have lifted the front by 1.25 inches

Car was too low at the front before but I've never had problems catching on speedbumps

They are Whiteline springs & sadly no longer available new
DNOS808

MR2 Mk1 Suspension

Post by DNOS808 »

I am also trying to find some replacements for the springs and dampers on my Mk1. My car is a daily drive and the roads around our way are full of pot holes and speed bumps so I do not want a lowered/stiffened racing setup.

I have heard that the Eibach springs do not lower the car too much and I may try them with Koni dampers. If anyone has experience with this setup and can give me some feedback on how it performs I would be really interested to hear.

The Koni/Eibach setup is going to cost big money so I hope it does not turn out to be too hard for road use.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

The Konis are obtainable as a kit which comes with Lesjofor springs David

It's called the Koni SSK

If you PM Alex (SuperRedMR2) he has that setup on his car

Can't think of anyone who has Konis with Eibachs
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I've had two sets of Koni's on three MK1's. The first two had Fensport linear/lowered springs. It was excellent I thought.

The second was on a MK1 which had some name I can't remember progressive springs. It was very good, but I think I slightly preferred the Fensport springs.

I did 20K miles a year in the first one I had and I thought it was fine. I used to slacken them off for road use and turn them up to full stiff on the rear when I went on track.

I have driven cars with KYB's and their too stiff IMO.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
gon

Post by gon »

I have the BC on my car and I think they are excellent, but I have a Citroen (sofa on wheels) for a daily drive....
For weekend / track day car I think they are the best compromise price/performance but for daily driver I am not sure I would want them .....
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

I've had Eibach/Konis. Didn't really like the Eibachs so put standard springs back on. They're only really hard over big bumps TBH but the car's better balanced on stock springs with similar grip level IMO.
Big_Martin

Post by Big_Martin »

I have BCs on my car, with the softer 4/6kg springs, and I think they're great. I also use this as my daily driver without any major problems. I do weave around a lot, to avoid bumps and holes though :thumleft:
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

1.5 times as much than the Koni SSK kit as well aren't they?
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

Have considered the BC kit myself before now, is the handling massively improved over stock springs and Koni's or can they just be set stiffer for track use?
Big_Martin

Post by Big_Martin »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:1.5 times as much than the Koni SSK kit as well aren't they?

Dunno... when I got mine, they were cheaper than any spring/damper set up I could find.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”