Just Got my First "2"

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

wozbmc

Just Got my First "2"

Post by wozbmc »

I love thi car!!! Its 1990 n/a g ltd import but i love it. I thought that people just boasted when they said these cars were cappable. Its not even a bad ride think ill get rid of my other car and run this full time. Is there anything I should be aware of... hidden extras... :P :D
jimGTS

Re: Just Got my First "2"

Post by jimGTS »

check you got "good" tyres on the car, especially the rear.
these cars are known to put people in hedges.

thats just a "stay alive" tip.
:mrgreen:

careful in the wet also, all that weight at the back, once it goes it takes a skilled driven to keep it under control. get used to the feel and weight of the car.

:wink:
DaMonsta

Post by DaMonsta »

Hi:

Is this your first mid-engined car?

If so then be a tad careful. Preferably, get on a track and learn its handling characteristics. Mid-engined cars have specific characteristics. Notably, they tend to spin rather easily when pushed and the rev1 MKII MR2 will spin rather more easily than most, lol.

The two big no-no's are:

1) Entering into a curve too fast and braking hard and deep into the curve.

The rear will come quickly around on you and typically takes people by surprise. If the rear begins to come around you *must* enter a correction input through the steering immediately. Else, chances are, you will lose it big time.

2) Accelerating too fast out of a curve that suddenly you realise is twisting up on you after the apex, you chicken out and step off the throttle.

The rear will again quickly come around on you, which again typically takes people by surprise. Fail to correct it straight away and you will swap ends no problem.

A slight variation on this is if you are coming quickly around a curve and, for some reason, you have to brake, say, for a road hazard. Now, this possibility is the main reason why you should seek to find the car's limits on a track.

The later revisions had a slightly different setup that dialed in a bit more understeer to make it more suitable, i.e. meet with the typical expectations of the average road driver. But I love the way the rev1 handles, personally.

Regards,
Jim
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

DaMonsta wrote:
A slight variation on this is if you are coming quickly around a curve and, for some reason, you have to brake, say, for a road hazard. Now, this possibility is the main reason why you should seek to find the car's limits on a track.

ive had this, never crapped myself so much in the two.
apart from when i spun 360degrees on a roundabout!
:whistle:
nitric4k

Post by nitric4k »

i spun mine pulling off at a petrol station onto the road first day i had it, whoopsie, ive learned not give it death since when turning
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

Its all good mate.... congrats on getting your 2 :D I'm sure u'll love every minute of it.....

2 things to be wary of....

1. the handling (as mentioned above) but get some decent tyres on and take it easy in the wet and you'll be fine.... My big no no is going to fast into corners (it nearly caught me out)

2. Toyota part prices!!!!! Don't bother with them, ask on the forums before u buy anything as someone may have a quick fix or a second hand part for you....
I paid £115 for a new accelerator cable when i could have just got the inner part for a few quid from the local bike shop..... (GUTTED!)

Enjoy.... and watch out for the hedges :P
ImageImage
Ian Geary

Post by Ian Geary »

Welcome!

if you're after tyres, I can recommend www.blackcircles.com.

I recently had a full set of Toyo Proxes T1-R all round for a smidge over £300. The fitting place was only 1 mile away, and no hidden extras. The wait was 3 working days.

Rev1 will have the 14" wheels though, so maybe cheaper.

My top tip for driving: take the change out of your trouser pocket before sitting down. Put it in the driver's door handle recess instead.

Otherwise you'll be hunting for it forever more. I lost a multi-story parking token that way - I looked such a tit having to get out of the car, and scramble under the seat to recover the chip that could let me out of the car-park, all in front of about 5 other cars :oops:

But I think I just about pulled it off with my eventual full throttle exit :^o

Ian
oddball

Post by oddball »

Good choice of car mate, your gonna love driving it!
But, as it has been metioned, take care in the wet, 270 degree spin and two damaged wheels, all thanks to a mini roundabout! (although i was trying to race a scooby), and my rims were only 2 weeks old! need i say more?
Learn the limits of your car, then go and teach those fwd cars a lesson!
wozbmc

Post by wozbmc »

Thanks everyone for the concern and information... only wish i read this sooner :roll: about that braking and shutting the weight... i sort of happened to do it on a roundabout. Got it back though had experience with drifting before in a single seater.. mr2 was much more work though... Your right i love the experience. Even driving slow is great!

Think i want a Uk version though rev2 gunna get used to this and see what i think first

DaMonsta

Post by DaMonsta »

jimGTS wrote:

ive had this, never crapped myself so much in the two.
apart from when i spun 360degrees on a roundabout!
:whistle:

Ha ha, I know the feeling.

Fortunately, the car tends to spin in it's own length (as I call it) so you can often get away with it if your reactions/steering input is up to speed. But the sense of relief when it's all over is just incredible isn't it?

He he he, people 'aint lived unless they spun a rev1 on the road and survived, lol.

Regards,
Jim

PS
Note: I am not suggesting people try this at home, it's for complete and utter nutters only. :)
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

DaMonsta wrote:He he he, people 'aint lived unless they spun a rev1 on the road and survived, lol.

Cripes - I've got nine lives then... :lol: Spinning and catching a Rev 1 in the wet is not only tricky, it's also a great cure for constipation.
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”