Simple SC questions.

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tony jinxy froude

Simple SC questions.

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Hiya guys, the Alternator on an SC is different to an N/A one & I understand the SC one has no voltage regulator built into it, my questions is, where is the voltage regulator then ? is it on the SC loom somewhere or on the body ? secondly, the injector coil pack ( small finned silver box ) that is fitted to the late Mk1's, will this work on the SC injectors too or is it a different pack ?, any help as always appreciated, cheers, Jinxy
coanda

Re: Simple SC questions.

Post by coanda »

I think the voltage regulator is in the boot - drivers side.

The finned box - don't think anything changed on the ignition circuit so you should be ok I think. The injectors have a greater output but are fundamentally the same type as the NA I believe.
Tony jinxy froude

Aha, thanks for that, soo...we may have another problem then, with the engine we got the SC alternator & engine wiring harness, im now wondering if the regulator is included in that part of the harness or on a separate part of the loom left on the parts car, in which case we need to find that harness & matching regulator...dammit !!
coanda

Post by coanda »

If you got the full loom including the bit with all the connectors from the trunk then you should have the regulator if you have the ecu and a couple of relays that also sit in the boot.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

The regulator looks like this:

http://twosrus.com/catalog/product_info ... cts_id=661

And should be in the boot on the section of loom that the ecu is connected to
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Wow, that regulator is seriously expensive & getting scarce too apparently :shock:

Is there some reason why an N/A alternator can't be used on the S/C ?
MartG

Post by MartG »

elbon50 wrote:Wow, that regulator is seriously expensive & getting scarce too apparently :shock:

I've read that the regulator for some more recent models e.g. Corollas are compatible
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

elbon50 wrote:Wow, that regulator is seriously expensive & getting scarce too apparently :shock:

Is there some reason why an N/A alternator can't be used on the S/C ?

The SC alternator is on the other side of the engine so the location of the mounting points on the casting is a mirror image.

Theoretically I guess you could transfer the parts from an n/a alternator to an SC alternator housing then do a small amount of rewiring to account for the regulator being integral although I've not tried it.
Tony jinxy froude

That's fantastic guys thank you so much :+: yes we have both ECU & the loom so it should be there somewhere, will take a look tomorrow when work carries on with this 3 yearn project of Nigels, cheers, Jinx

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”