Neweraparts

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

FrankBelgium

Neweraparts

Post by FrankBelgium »

Hello,
It is time for new rims on my AW11 and I think I made up my mind about the SSR Type-C.
I don’t have to say my decision was maybe influenced by this car:
However mine is also red, I would like to have them in Gunmetal.
I found the rims for a fair price at neweraparts.com. Since they don’t have a pick-up service, I was a little afraid for the import tax in Belgium. Last time I ordered a Megasquirt ECU from the US, the Belgian customs completely ripped me off!
I asked neweraparts about the import taxes and they answered this:
Usually you won’t pay any additional costs or taxes.
Our delivery is to your door.

I can’t imagine they will send a van from Japan to my door with the rims.
Does someone on the forum already ordered rims/parts from neweraparts?
Did you have to pay extra import taxes and VAT?

Thanks,

Frank
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: Neweraparts

Post by Peter Gidden »

Import duty and VAT is always payable on parts over a minimal value if imported from outside the EU.

VAT rate will only be the same as you would have paid should you have bought the goods from within the EU, so you should have been able to calculate upfront any duty and VAT prior to purchasing from overseas.

When you say you were "ripped off" i presume you were charged the correct VAT on the shipping and goods, and actually hoped you would avoid the VAT?
stenky

Post by stenky »

You have to expect it will get held and you will have to pay tax and import duties. No shop can guarantee you otherwise :-)
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

I don't import very often but I always budget for paying duty and consider it a bonus when I do not.

Doesn't help you over the water but from my experience anything which is shipped by a method which involves Parcelforce making the delivery in the UK tends to get hit, other couriers are much less likely.
coanda

Post by coanda »

Yeah, i had plenty of vat and import to pay on the wheels I just got from the US. You just missed a set of these on egay.co.uk. They went for £562! Lil red is a source of inspiration for me too (but he can keep the tartan!!)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Miguel (who runs Newera) has supplied top notch cars to a number of well known members in the past. Particularly so when MR2s had a much higher value.

So you're in good hands I would say. :+:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
FrankBelgium

Post by FrankBelgium »

Thanks for the replies!
I was a little stupid, didn't check the SSR site first but it seems there is a distributor in Germany, 200km from my home.
So I'll try with the Germans first otherwise, like kaiowas said, calculate the taxes in the total price and hope the Belgian customs leave me alone!
I'll keep you posted when I have news from the Germans!

Thanks and have a nice weekend,

Frank

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”