exhaust wrap

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

sherwin1983

exhaust wrap

Post by sherwin1983 »

its it worth exhaust wrapping my system to the back box?

If so what will i gain other than being poorer?
Red Wedge

Re: exhaust wrap

Post by Red Wedge »

Exhaust wrap is generally used in race applications to minimise temperature bleed into the cooling system/engine. This helps keep running temps low thus avoiding any overheating issues that may reduce the efficiency of the engine.

I've never had a road car with a wrapped exhaust but I've heard that on road set ups they can lead to premature corrosion of your system due to them retaining moisture on wet days.

I imagine someone can give you a better answer on their pros and cons but that's what I know at least.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

You will just be poorer. I've even heard of wrapping causing damage to aftermarket manifolds as they retain to much heat.
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

Depending on the grade of exhaust material, if it retains too much heat, the tube can crack. It will make the exhaust system louder, and if on a turbo car with will decrease lag time and give a little more power.(slightly). I would expect a teenie weenie gain on an N/A.
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Not on a cast iron manifold.

I wrapped the steel 4-1 manifold on my AE86 only to stop it melting the distributor cap and various other things.

But if you're not burning anything, then not much point really.

There is some blurb about keeping the exhaust gases hot, but I'd be amazed if there was any appreciable difference. Really it's about keeping underbonnet temperatures down.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

IIRC keeping the exhaust gases hot helps maintain gas column speed

Better gas exit helps draw fuel/air mix into the cyls

Thus improving volumetric efficiency

This only really applies to unforced induction
kherseth

Post by kherseth »

In it would help to keep the exhaust gasses hot if you are running a stock engine with larger exhaust pipes. Higher temperature would lead to higher exhaust velocities which gives more aerodynamic drag in the pipes. On the other hand, too low temperature yields allot of weight that needs to be moved in the exhaust system. Both too high and too low temperature leads to excessive back pressure in cylinder, again leading to excessive amounts of exhaust still in the cylinder when drawing fresh fuel/air mix and less efficient combustion.

As already mentioned, wrapping do cause a lower engine compartment temperature with the risk of the manifold cracking.

On a daily driver or for road use, i cant see any real use for exhaust wrapping at all. Money will be better spent on cold air intake and possibly insulation of the air intake tubes, again a theoretical gain to be found there.
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

Do not use exhaust wrap on a daily drive, you would be very disappointed, and if you do it right its not cheap. I seem to remember it costing us well over£200 to wrap the system on the rally car (manifold to tip). After three years it is now seriously perished and in need of attention.

There are numerous downsides to wrap:-
- it's a pain in the ar$e to do right.
- the wrap ties and tool cost a bomb
- decent wrap is expensive
- it needs a coat of protective lacquer / paint over the top.
- wrap seems to attract moisture, even on a dry day when stopped at the first junction you get to you (and the car behind) will think your engine is on fire.
- after a few heat cycles the wrap becomes very brittle, this makes every job under / around the exhaust a PITA as your hands and eyes will be full of horrible fibreglass like splinters (not nice).
- after a few thousand miles and/or a lot of work around the engine the whole lot will begin to perish and fall off, even when you spent hundreds on posh wrap, posh ties and posh lacquer. Oh and hours / days applying it all.

Obviously there are benefits, since wrapping we haven't had and heatsoak or exhaust heat related issues such as melted wires or fried starter motors etc (we did wrap the starter too though). Oh and the flames out of the exhaust were of a much better quality after wrapping.

Ceramic coating is getting much cheaper these days. I think a manifold can be done for less than £300. This will keep in heat, protect from corrosion and look cool.

If I were to do it again I'd definitely go ceramic.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”