Three issues - related?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

hmltnangel

Three issues - related?

Post by hmltnangel »

Hey folks, a few issues on the tubby now and for the life of me ..... im stumped!

1. Power Steering - Comes on when i start the car, goes off when I drive more than 100 yards, then comes on at completely random points of its own deciding! Relay was clicking yesterday randomly in the frunk but seemed to stop when I gave it a rev, which leads me onto problem 2....

2. Alternator - fine, charging around 14 volts and battery seems fine too. Go outside, stick the key in and everything works ok, lights, CC pump etc etc but as soon as I turn the key - I get nothing, not even a cough. Hook up some jump leads and starts instantly within 1-2 seconds. When it starts, it almost like theres no power from teh battery until I rev it a little and then it seems fine. Add to this that occassionaly I can pull up at a set of lights and it seems like the car wants to cut out, almost like theres no power, then the next set of lights its fine again.

3. Heater blower unit, seems to struggle occasionally and sometimes only comes on if I or my passenger give a hefty kick under the glovebox.

What do you all think?

:thumleft:
badgerbob

Re: Three issues - related?

Post by badgerbob »

dead battery or bad earths playing havoc
hmltnangel

Re: Three issues - related?

Post by hmltnangel »

Well I thought about the battery but why would everything else work fine? Evrything works perfectly except the starting of the car. My thinking was maybe the battery CCA was too low and therefore it has enough power for the accessories etc but not to turn the engine?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”