4-AGZE STARTER MOTOR.

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tony jinxy froude

4-AGZE STARTER MOTOR.

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Hi Guys, need some advice please, we have a 4-AGZE engine, C52 double hump gearbox with 4-AGZE engine back plate, but no starter motor, the standard starter motor doesn't fit due to the distance in the bolt holes being different distances apart to the holes in the gearbox on the right hand side & the back plate, can someone either tell me where I can pick up a 2nd hand SC starter motor, or if the SC starter motor was used in another more readily available car in this country ?. we realise we can just swap the back plate for the 4AGE one & mount the starter in the normal place using the original starter, but as its all put together at the moment it would be a real faf to do, cheers, Jinxy
MartG

Re: 4-AGZE STARTER MOTOR.

Post by MartG »

I think the later AE92 Corolla may have had the starter on the other side - after about mid-H reg - when they went to the smallport :-k
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

cheers Mart, Paul woods contacted me today & I think I did my best at confusing him & me when I explained the situation LOL !! sorry paul :mrgreen: . we have Toni G's old SC engine & its being mated to a late N/A gearbox with the starter motor hump on both sides, now we could use the N/A engine back plate, which would mean we could mount the N/A starter motor on the correct side I.E under the exhaust manifold & all this would be solved, but as the SC back plate is already fitted & gearbox is in place its a bit of a faf to undo all the bolts, remove the box/clutch, flywheel/ back plate etc, so we are choosing to leave the SC back plate in place, this means we cant use the N/A starter motor in the position under the intake manifold due to the bolt holes on the starter motor being too short plus mounting holes in the starter being the wrong orientation if you turn it upside down, this is the only way to get it positioned in the back plate hole, hence the reason for a starter motor of the correct type for mounting on that side of the engine needs to be found & fitted. Paul if your reading this I hope it now makes sense ?? :clown: cheers, Jinxy
XLarge

Post by XLarge »

I've used a back plate from a 4A-FE on my 4A-GE to relocate the starter motor to the backsite of the engine to earn more space for the custom build four branch exaust manifold. As starter motor I use one from a 7A-FE ,took out of an AT200 Celica.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Hi Tony, i still don't fully understand why you can't use the rear hump location, i guess it would need a pic to explain, but if it were me i'd be quickly dropping the gearbox off and changing the backplate, then just use the normal front mount location.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Tony jinxy froude wrote:cheers Mart, Paul woods contacted me today & I think I did my best at confusing him & me when I explained the situation LOL !! sorry paul :mrgreen: . we have Toni G's old SC engine & its being mated to a late N/A gearbox with the starter motor hump on both sides, now we could use the N/A engine back plate, which would mean we could mount the N/A starter motor on the correct side I.E under the exhaust manifold & all this would be solved, but as the SC back plate is already fitted & gearbox is in place its a bit of a faf to undo all the bolts, remove the box/clutch, flywheel/ back plate etc, so we are choosing to leave the SC back plate in place, this means we cant use the N/A starter motor in the position under the intake manifold due to the bolt holes on the starter motor being too short plus mounting holes in the starter being the wrong orientation if you turn it upside down, this is the only way to get it positioned in the back plate hole, hence the reason for a starter motor of the correct type for mounting on that side of the engine needs to be found & fitted. Paul if your reading this I hope it now makes sense ?? :clown: cheers, Jinxy

That out of her old track car? The one I bought?
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:
That out of her old track car? The one I bought?

Don't think so, I think that's one of the ones I ended up with (You bought a car from Toni with a rattly bottom end and broke it, a friend of mine Matt bought the engine, didn't use it and passed it on to me)
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Zirax picked up that engine :D

That was made of rust that car!
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

No Tony has the original SC engine out of my twincharger. :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”