Best way to fit Recaro STD/Speed in a MR2

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GT4Ever

Best way to fit Recaro STD/Speed in a MR2

Post by GT4Ever »

Recently I bought a set of Recaro STD seats (came out of a Integra I guess). Now I'm looking to fit them into my MR2 with sliders, but I want to fit them as low as possible and safe of course.

I got some original sliders already and they fit the seats. They are like this:
http://173.74.246.28/ktmtalk/photogalle ... size_1.jpg

Now I need to fix the seats with sliders to the bottom of my MR2 SW20. There are a few brackets avoidable (mostly from some American brand calld Planted), but most of them out of the USA and the shipping costs for them to the Netherlands are massive. Besides I'm not really sure what this will do with the mounting height.

So anyone has experience with mounting Recaro seats in MR2's? What is the best option? What are the best mounts I can use? Where can I get them (preferable in Europe)?
thomp1983

Re: Best way to fit Recaro STD/Speed in a MR2

Post by thomp1983 »

do the rails you've linked to above bolt to the floor in your mr2? what are the attachments on the bottom of the teg seats like?
GT4Ever

Post by GT4Ever »

Nope, the rails don't link directly to the floor. The link to the seats and than the bottom part of the rail should be attached to some kind of bracket that connects to the floor of the MR2. Something like this:

http://www.andysautosport.com/toyota/19 ... t/planted/
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

DC2 Recaro seats have six base mounting holes, which are M6 threads - 3 on each side of the seat. I bolted a 350x110mm 3mm galv plate to each side of the base using countersunk screws - this then provided me with a larger area to work with so that I could find a suitable place on the seat mount to fix to the plate, rather than fixing the mount directly to the seat. Sorry very difficult to explain verbally! :(
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

that is a stock mr2 seat frame, if you cut off all the vertical stuff you can see and the bar towards the front you will be left with the metal tabs that bolt to the floor and the runners that slide backwards and forwards. depending on your seats mounting points you can either weld two pieces of flat bar(5mm) across the rails and drill the relevant holes for the seats (ill be doing this with my cobra's as they base mount and did similar on my brother in laws skyline) or if there side mounts you can get some 90 degree pieces of steel (2.5mm minimum id say, id probably use 5mm) bolt them to the side mounts and weld the other leg to the top of the sliders in the relevant position

chris
GT4Ever

Post by GT4Ever »

thomp1983 wrote:Image

that is a stock mr2 seat frame, if you cut off all the vertical stuff you can see and the bar towards the front you will be left with the metal tabs that bolt to the floor and the runners that slide backwards and forwards. depending on your seats mounting points you can either weld two pieces of flat bar(5mm) across the rails and drill the relevant holes for the seats (ill be doing this with my cobra's as they base mount and did similar on my brother in laws skyline) or if there side mounts you can get some 90 degree pieces of steel (2.5mm minimum id say, id probably use 5mm) bolt them to the side mounts and weld the other leg to the top of the sliders in the relevant position

chris

I have been looking at this option. But i noticed that when you take the frame off the seat the entire seat will fall apart. Because of this I don't want to take the frame of my current seats since they are leather seats in perfect state, so still nice to be sold and that goes a bit better in one piece.

So looking for someone now that has some destroyed seats but still with a good subframe which he would otherwise throw away.
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

As you have the recaro rails you just need the metal tags off the stock seats (riveted on) and then bolted or welded to your rails like http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 2042,d.ZWU I know this is for a mk1 but it is the same principle or try to source a set of runners off the optional fishnet recaros http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JDM-Authentic ... 51a9c8333c which is what I have on mine
GT4Ever

Post by GT4Ever »

madbasshunter wrote:As you have the recaro rails you just need the metal tags off the stock seats (riveted on) and then bolted or welded to your rails like http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 2042,d.ZWU

I tought aswell that this would do the trick. But the mounting holes underneath the Recaro's are close to each other (40,5 cm) than on the standard MR2 seats (43 cm). So if you just weld the Recaro rails on the metal tags of a MR2 seat the holes in the rails would not match up with the holes under the seat. Al tough this could be fixed by adding an extra metal plate.

madbasshunter wrote:I know this is for a mk1 but it is the same principle or try to source a set of runners off the optional fishnet recaros http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JDM-Authentic ... 51a9c8333c which is what I have on mine

Wow! Very nice, but I first have to win the lotto then! And even than I would have my doubts, damn expensive piece of metal! :o
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”