Project MRX350

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

aw11rally

Re: Project MRX350

Post by aw11rally »

XLarge wrote:Nice item, but it will not have the lovely effect of the original one: Projecting the "TOYOTA" writing to the back window.

I love this feature ! :mrgreen:

I agree, I love that effect.

I wonder did Toyota design it so that every time you looked in the rear view mirror you see TOYOTA in 4in high letters perfectly reflected on the window.

Top marks if it was intentional.
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

PW@Woodsport wrote:
That's an interesting idea on the original Mk1a wheels turned into split rims, i like that, made with a dish built into them split rim style could really work, for me the Borbets are the closest thing to that.

I had a look around, there is a company that makes mini parts who will convert a single piece alloy into a two piece split rim of various widths. They have only done mini wheels so far, and only ask for £66 per wheel which I though was rather cheap. There are options out there, but I agree, those Borbets are gorgeous.

http://www.force-racing.co.uk/wheels-10/
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

That is really cheap actually, i'm surprised it doesn't cost a lot more to have that done, there are lots of wheels i would love to have with a deep dish so this opens up a lot of possibilities, very cool.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Very interesting company :thumleft:

A few things to note though :

£66 is for 10" two-part mini wheels. Larger & more complex wheels significantly more expensive

Their "normal" weight limit is only 800 KG although they can now cater up to 1200 KG cars & 15" Rims (heavier rim material)

Wonder if GT4 twinpots could go under one of their converted Mk1 wheels :-k

Oh & it may be neccessary to use inner tubes with some types of conversion
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Today saw the completion of the WS crystal sidelight mod, if you remember i had these units custom made for me 1" smaller width than stock but still with the divider for sidelight/indicator built in, these are proper glass lamps not plastic. The light apertures were modified to accept these, made 1" narrower, but you can't tell so i'm very pleased with the outcome.

Ignore the oversprayed radiator, it's getting a new one so we just left the old one in there during painting.

With the sidelights on my camera just makes it look like the whole units are lit up with the brightness of a small nuclear reactor powering them, but although they are brighter than stock they certainly don't look like this in real life....

I also got the carbon bonnet and headlight covers fully aligned, a pig of a job.

I've given up trying to polish my Borbet dishes, they aren't turning out as good as i'd hoped, so on Tuesday i am taking them to a firm in Newcastle for diamond cutting. Also looking forward to cutting my paint back and polishing it back up, but it's still a little soft and i'd rather wait.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Sadly the video i shot makes me look even more of a liar about the lights brightness, it looks like the whole units are lit up, damn iphone!

Also ignore the gangsta background music, the workshop radio was on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1qgXlHxZEQ
coanda

Post by coanda »

Bo! Selecta......etc etc....

Yeah, its just the camera exposing for the dark room I think....

It's looking good.

I've run out of time for carbon goodies but I'll be looking at doing something like the visor you have along with some other pieces. I saw it on mr2oc.com. From the state of the thread when I looked I'm surprised you got it to be honest! hadn't been updated in months due to a death in the family (fair enough...). I'm not keen on the raised text but can appreciate the work that went in to doing it. How's the weave around the letters?
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

I definitely want a job at your place with that radio station Paul!
This is fantastic, this should be put in a museum, but then the only problem then is it wont be driven properly!
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

coanda wrote:Bo! Selecta......etc etc....

It's looking good.

I've run out of time for carbon goodies but I'll be looking at doing something like the visor you have along with some other pieces. I saw it on mr2oc.com. From the state of the thread when I looked I'm surprised you got it to be honest! hadn't been updated in months due to a death in the family (fair enough...). I'm not keen on the raised text but can appreciate the work that went in to doing it. How's the weave around the letters?

The visor quality is very good, perfect weave around the letters, there is a join right in the middle of it but not really noticeable. I didn't source it from the seller, it looked like it might be a bit of a mission actually getting one so i went through a forum member in Oz "Knightrous" whom i did a trade with for a bunch of 6 speed parts/LSD etc, top man.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

pk_090 wrote:I definitely want a job at your place with that radio station Paul!
This is fantastic, this should be put in a museum, but then the only problem then is it wont be driven properly!

Thanks mate, it won't have its full impact until totally finished, well at least i hope so!
coanda

Post by coanda »

PW@Woodsport wrote:
coanda wrote:Bo! Selecta......etc etc....

It's looking good.

The visor quality is very good, perfect weave around the letters, there is a join right in the middle of it but not really noticeable. I didn't source it from the seller, it looked like it might be a bit of a mission actually getting one so i went through a forum member in Oz "Knightrous" whom i did a trade with for a bunch of 6 speed parts/LSD etc, top man.

Yeah, the user name rings a bell. I'll get along to JAE to have a good look.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

A little advice required, i can't quite make my mind up. I was looking for a set of the holy grail motorised fog lights for years, and last year managed to find a set of these for sale in Japan, a genuine set of Koito front fogs with motorised lids, these are just about as JDM as it gets and perfect for my project.

They even come with a Toyota switch and all plugs/connectors are 100% Toyota, i paid a lot for these so i'm definitely going to fit them, the problem i have is where to fit them!

As i see it i have two options, directly under the sidelights, which then obscures the BC lip slightly, or more inboard and recessed back in the grill, but do they look right closer together?

What do you think works better?

XLarge

Post by XLarge »

Option No. 2 !
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

To complicate matters i need to fit my plate somewhere...

Luckily it's only 5 digits.... but i just don't know where to put everything.
XLarge

Post by XLarge »

Laying the plate flat onto the center section of the BC lip is not an option ?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I don't think it would be readable, it's very tilted back in that area.
a16vwn1

Post by a16vwn1 »

how about jap style on the left?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I did think about that but it covers the BC lip, i'm also not a fan of the offset Jap plate thing.... damn this really wasn't a problem i thought i'd be having! :D
synXero

Post by synXero »

Has to be the latest image for me. I like the rigour of the one up one down one up one down one up, and the symmetry of course.

PS Paul - where did you buy the old style number plate from?
coanda

Post by coanda »

Foglights - definitely option two - can the fog light brackets pick up on the lip bracket fasteners?

Numberplate - coppers are getting picky about these things now that ANPR is everywhere up and down the motorway. How about jap import sized plate in the middle of the bumper fixed in the normal way?

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”