[Mk2] [Turbo] Thermostat.....

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BlackpoolMR2

[Mk2] [Turbo] Thermostat.....

Post by BlackpoolMR2 »

It never rains with an MR2! My thermostat has gone over the weekend.
I've been looking at the TRD one and standard my question is; are there any real benefit over the standard thermostat that should make me part with a 4x more expensive part??
bobhatton

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Thermostat.....

Post by bobhatton »

andrew30044047 wrote:It never rains with an MR2! My thermostat has gone over the weekend.
I've been looking at the TRD one and standard my question is; are there any real benefit over the standard thermostat that should make me part with a 4x more expensive part??

No

Heat is power so run the engine as hot as you can
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
AManInDandism

Post by AManInDandism »

bobhatton wrote:

No

Heat is power so run the engine as hot as you can

:-k
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

unless your running a mappable ecu, big boost/power and only track the car, i would run a stock thermostat.
shinny

Post by shinny »

jimGTS wrote:unless your running a mappable ecu, big boost/power and only track the car, i would run a stock thermostat.

+1

bobhatton wrote:Heat is power so run the engine as hot as you can

That's not my understanding

Generally, higher engine temperature will offer improved fuel efficiency and lower engine temperature more power

Taken from: http://www.daviescraig.com.au/Controlle ... ntent.aspx
(Description of electric water pump controller, referring to why it has different target temperatures in the range 75-95*C)
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

shinny wrote:
bobhatton wrote:Heat is power so run the engine as hot as you can

Generally, higher engine temperature will offer improved fuel efficiency and lower engine temperature more power

That is wrong.
The higher the temperature of the engine block the higher the pressure in the cylinders and that gives more power, so simple to understand
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
shinny

Post by shinny »

bobhatton wrote:The higher the temperature of the engine block the higher the pressure in the cylinders and that gives more power, so simple to understand

Well given that heat is generally the enemy of power and power comes from getting as much oxygen into the block as possible (which is easier if the intake air is cooler as it's therefore more dense for the same pressure) no it's not simple to understand. Got any links that explain your statement further?
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Get yourself a proper Toyota thermostat, I've just had to replace the QH one I fitted to my ST202 12 months ago because the damn thing stuck open.

Should have known better as I had the same issue with one I fitted to the Mk1 many moons ago. #-o
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

shinny wrote:
bobhatton wrote:The higher the temperature of the engine block the higher the pressure in the cylinders and that gives more power, so simple to understand

Well given that heat is generally the enemy of power and power comes from getting as much oxygen into the block as possible (which is easier if the intake air is cooler as it's therefore more dense for the same pressure) no it's not simple to understand. Got any links that explain your statement further?

Now you are not talking about the engine block temperature, you are talking about the inlet air temperature. That does need to be as cold as you can get it.
The reason we burn the fuel in the engine is to get the volume of air and fuel in the cylinder hot, that will raise the cylinder pressure and push the piston down. The hotter the charge temp the high the pressure so more of a push to the piston.

Some parts of the engine need to be hot and others cold, its not easy designing engines
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Limeymk1 wrote:Get yourself a proper Toyota thermostat.

:thumleft:

Return to “Mechanical”