[Mk2] [NA] Lexus Rx300 engined Mk2

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

PW@Woodsport

[Mk2] [NA] Lexus Rx300 engined Mk2

Post by PW@Woodsport »

To the best of my knowledge the first one in the UK, we've done much harder and much more powerful conversions and installed this engine into quite a few Mk3 roadsters, but thought i'd share the first Mk2...

It only went in today following a complete engine bay respray/resto job but should be running by the end of next week...

KarlBristol

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Lexus Rx300 engined Mk2

Post by KarlBristol »

Your just trying to rub it in that Peter hasn't finished mine yet aren't you :lol:

As you know, I think it looks great, you've done a cracking job with it :thumleft:

If you carry on this way I will have to change my sig, slow down with your conversion already :roll: :lol:
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
Big_Martin

Post by Big_Martin »

Nice :clap:

I really really really really want one of those! :thumleft:
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Wow, nice job Paul.

What sort of power do these put out on the dyno in a mk2 or Mk3?

Would be interested in seeing any dyno sheets if you have them :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Thanks, a lot has happened in the last week....1 week ago i pulled the old 3s-ge out, this engine bay was silver (the car is a sonic shadow) and the engine was just out of the Rx300, i removed it with straps on the exhaust manifolds so no risk of any damage, stripped it down, overhauled and fully rebuilt/painted to show standard, stripped the Mk2 S54 gearbox, installed an LSD and gave it our famous 5th gear extension, stripped the Mk2 engine bay, i resprayed it Super red V (3P0) , the whole car is getting a red respray, and yesterday the engine got installed, plumbed up and now just needs an exhaust system and wiring.

So by the end of next week it will be running, 2 weeks from it being 3s-ge powered to 1mz VVti powered, what can i say, it's my kung-fu.

Power will be 210bhp but more importantly 222lbs.ft which is fully there from 4000rpm, to put thise figures into a relative perspective here is an overlay of Toyotas engines comparing the torque curves....

You can see the 1mz VVti engine beats the 3s-gte for torque output right across the rev range (stock rev1/2 turbo presumably, and of course you can easily tune the 3s-gte to produce way more, but comparing stock to stock)

That 2gr-fe curve doesn't look right though, ours produce 290lbs.ft , even more than a stock 2gr-fse, which i put down to headers and intake.
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Thanks for the comparison chart.

2 weeks from start to finish for an engine conversion like this is incredibly quick! Yup, your conversion Kung Fu is strong :mrgreen:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Yes i pulled out all the stops and did some late nights, it also helps knowing the V6 inside out, once you've done a hundred of them it starts to become second nature.

It needs a custom made intake pipe making from scratch which will really set it off.
wilki

Post by wilki »

epic :thumleft: nice work, jealous
synXero

Post by synXero »

She's a looker too :D

Great job Paul, PS I suspect that graph was done by a CBBC watcher??
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Thanks, the graph was done by a very knowledgeable V6 guy in the US who i know very well, i believe ha had to use all of his crayons :D

The cars exhaust system is now complete, that was a very tricky one to sort on this one due to the manifolds on the Rx300 not being very Mr2 friendly at all, so i got around the problem by using a rear bank Camry manifold on the front bank, and a front bank Rx300 manifold on the rear.

It has put me a few days behind, it should have been running by now, so wiring up will happen on Monday/Tuesday. The sexy twin intake pipe has also been made, that just needs painting, there is about a weeks work goes into the intake, here is a pic of the last one i did (current one is primered up)

When it's painted it looks like this...

A normal 1mz without VVti does not need this intake, you also can't run two separate pipes because of the Maf further upstream, and also the original Rx300 intake won't fit in an Mr2.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Cracking job with the twin intake, great results :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

The UKs first Mk2 RX300 engined car is now running, i still have a lot of work to do including finishing the intake, tidying all of the wiring/plumbing and getting it back to the show standard pics you saw before, it's gained a few layers of dust this last week!

This is literally 2 minutes into its first fire up, high idle and a few codes to cancel out as normal, but running, i normally wait until i've completed the engine bay before filming.

Sorry Karl! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE37YSvokKE
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

:clap:
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Damn you!!!!! :twisted: :lol: :lol:

In all seriousness it's looking and sounding very nice
Hopefully Peter won't be far behind
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Thanks Karl, i'm actually surprised this particular conversion has never been done in the UK to a Mk2 before, it's been done to the much harder Mk1 and Mk3 several times by me and others but never heard of a Mk2, bizzare really.
synXero

Post by synXero »

Is the vvti in these essentially a lowdown torque booster? Or an rpm power increase ala vtec?
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

synXero wrote:Is the vvti in these essentially a lowdown torque booster? Or an rpm power increase ala vtec?

Both in reality, but primarily to smooth the torque curve over the rev range in 'F' applications. 'G' cylinder head applications (like the BEAMS 3S-GE) use the VVTi to increase low-mid range torque I believe, as the head design is more focused on high rpm power output..

V-Tec works completely differently (this has 2-stage valve lift as opposed to continuously variable valve timing)
Rob

Post by Rob »

Nice work. Great to have lots of different engine options.

What 3SGTE has been used in your chart? Presumably the Rev3,4 &5 units will be putting out more than the Rev1 & 2's?
Donato

Post by Donato »

Nice work! :thumleft:

Can't beleive it still has the dealership sticker in the window. It came from my work place too! :lol:
Marf

Post by Marf »

Rob wrote:Nice work. Great to have lots of different engine options.

What 3SGTE has been used in your chart? Presumably the Rev3,4 &5 units will be putting out more than the Rev1 & 2's?

I suspect the torque curve labelled 3S-GTE is actually a 3SGE torque curve. :thumleft:

Return to “Modifications”