heads up

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Slarty

Re: heads up

Post by Slarty »

rev3gtturbo wrote:
I have seen nearly new vehicles dazzle with me their hids. It is not just SUVs either. Seems to be mostly audis, beemers, mercs that ought to have decent quality factory fit hids. (Apparently if you get done for marginally speeding due to being distracted while dazzled by hids, that is no excuse! No, it has not happened to me)

Not sure what the levelling system takes as a level reference but it does not seem right. The drivers dont notice if they are lighting up the inside of my car roof... :roll:

e.g. some are worse when accelerating and the front end lifts. Others dazzle while driving at a constant speed so I wonder if there is some driver operated level adjuster like there used to be in very old cars to adjust the beam when towing or heavy load in the back etc.

Couldn't agree more. I do occasionally see aftermarket HIDs and they've never been an issue but OEM HIDs can be, and for the most part are, FAR worse. Porches seem to be really bad for it too. I must admit though, it was always more of an issue in the '2 than it is in my Focus so I can only assume the lower seating position is partly to blame.

And as 4ndee said, they self check on start up (well, when you turn your lights on lol) and self level, there is no manual over-ride.
RST

Post by RST »

What are people's opinions on decent hid kits from the likes of hids4u?

...Never really had a problem with them to be honest. I've fitted aftermarket HID's before and they've passed MoT inspection. IT's the OEM "self leveling" I have the biggest problem with. Boing boing boing boing flash flas flash flash like Audi, peugot and BMW seem to do.

I find the odd aftermrket kit doesn't bother me much, it's no brighter than say new Land Rover Lights are. As long as your headlamps are within the prescribed I don't think it makes that much difference. It's much worse when you see that car with one headlight out and sods law that remaining lamp always seems to be pointing right in your face LoL!
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Harold wrote:What are people's opinions on decent hid kits from the likes of hids4u?

They're no different from cheap Chinese kits. Except more expensive. Just as illegal.

The whole point is that HID bulbs emit so much light they were designed to be used behind a projector lens to properly control the light, and behind a cut off shield to produce a sharp cut off.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”