Sidelight removal?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Slarty

Sidelight removal?

Post by Slarty »

Ok, I've searched and searched, and I can't find a thing even though I'm sure it's out there! How do you remove the OEM front sidelight/indicator/reflector units?

They're clear Rev4+ units so I'd rather not damage them :(

Thanks in advance :thumleft:
Rob66

Re: Sidelight removal?

Post by Rob66 »

Hi Slarty

Need to be really careful as the plastic chips easily. The handbook says use a flathead screwdriver wrapped in insulation tape and then pries the sections forward. I used a strong. fairly wide flat knife that worked well (take your time). If you just want to change a sidelight bulb you do not need to remove them. Pop up the headlights and remove the black plastic cover (small screws each side held on by rubber so you cant lose them) you will then be able to fairly easily get your hand down behind the sidelight lens to remove and replace a bulb. I have done lots like this to avoid the risk of braking the light :roll:

good luck

Rob
moscoworbust

Post by moscoworbust »

Take the under tray off and access from underneath.

or

Take the headlight out as matey said. Easy to do. Take the 2 screws out, then the next two, then the unit comes out after a few philips screws.

The sidelight unit itself is held on with 3 10/12mm nuts. There are three studs that attach to the sidelight unit.
cosmos

light

Post by cosmos »

Best take a fuse? out just so headlamp doesn't retract on your hand perhaps.
cosmos

light

Post by cosmos »

Best take a fuse? out just so headlamp doesn't retract on your hand perhaps.
Rob66

Re: light

Post by Rob66 »

cosmos wrote:Best take a fuse? out just so headlamp doesn't retract on your hand perhaps.

good point, handbook does say that :thumleft:
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Thanks for the advice all :)

I need to remove them completely in order to sell them lol. The headlights have gone and there is no front undertray so I'll have a go tomorrow.

Thanks again :thumleft:
Torero

Post by Torero »

A bit confused here guys :? as to remove the sidelights/indicator/reflector unit takes about 2 minutes and doesn't involve removing the undertrays, headlights or any fuses.

As below, in the gap betweem the indicator and the reflector put a flat blade or screwdriver covered with tape (as mentioned) and prise out the reflector. There is a small post that is slightly bellied with a nylon expansion insert that keeps it in place and will pull out with reasonable force.

When the reflector has popped out there is a single screw in the indicator housing, simply unscrew that and slide the unit out and the lamp looms are at the back. Simples!!!

3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Torero wrote:A bit confused here guys :? as to remove the sidelights/indicator/reflector unit takes about 2 minutes and doesn't involve removing the undertrays, headlights or any fuses.

As below, in the gap betweem the indicator and the reflector put a flat blade or screwdriver covered with tape (as mentioned) and prise out the reflector. There is a small post that is slightly bellied with a nylon expansion insert that keeps it in place and will pull out with reasonable force.

When the reflector has popped out there is a single screw in the indicator housing, simply unscrew that and slide the unit out and the lamp looms are at the back. Simples!!!

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... 301990.jpg

+1 sidelight is a 5 second job (literally) using a butter knife and being careful, no need to even pop up the headlights.
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Torero, that's incredibly helpful, thankyou :thumleft:
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Got them out :)

In the end, they came out as a complete unit purely because the reflector didn't want to part company with the light, but instead the plastic insert that the screw screws into simply pulled out of the bumper lol. I can see exactly how they're meant to come apart now, but the metal post simply wouldn't pull back through the expansion piece you mentioned.
Torero

Post by Torero »

Slarty wrote:Got them out :)

In the end, they came out as a complete unit purely because the reflector didn't want to part company with the light, but instead the plastic insert that the screw screws into simply pulled out of the bumper lol. I can see exactly how they're meant to come apart now, but the metal post simply wouldn't pull back through the expansion piece you mentioned.

Good to hear Slarty and HTH. :thumleft:

You can try greasing the post and levering a screwdriver as you did to remove it. Also, try turning the reflector around several turns whilst pulling slightly on the reflector.

If all else fails you can cut the nylon insert, I'm sure they're only pennies from Mr T.
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”