Where have all the Turbos gone?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR2 Rich

Where have all the Turbos gone?

Post by MR2 Rich »

I have been thinking of what to do with my car and although I love it, I feel maybe a turbo Mr2 is what I want. So have been looking and there just isn't any turbos out there. The few that are on here are a bit too modified for my liking (would like a standardish model) and there is only 1 I like the look on eBay. I would be looking at about 2-3k is that the right sort of money for a nice turbo that's not got many mods? :thumleft:
Last edited by MR2 Rich on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No 2 :(
gavinda

Re: Where have all the Turbos gone?

Post by gavinda »

Whats your shell like? It might be possible to swap a turbo engine in and not be much difference in price?
craig

Post by craig »

gavinda wrote:Whats your shell like? It might be possible to swap a turbo engine in and not be much difference in price?

:thumleft:

As above, if you're happy with your shell, then stick a turbo engine in it. Paul Woods has a complete rev3 turbo bundle for sale in the for sale section:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=169105
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

theres a few negative points to the conversion though

the cost will be around the same as buying one, so you dont get to sell your old car

the insurance will be higher for a converted car than one built that way from the factory.

the time it takes to do - might leave you without a car if its your only one of course

personally i wouldnt ever bother converting a car that you can go and buy already, it a different story with the v6's or mk1.5's obviously.

and resale wont be as high as a factory turbo, id never value a converted turbo mk2 as high as a genuine turbo car

just my thoughts, im sure people will have different views
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Shameless self promotion here:

If you're feeling like going a touch cheaper, I'm also selling a low mileage Rev 2 engine with everything needed to convert for £950! ;)

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168917

:D
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

nothing wrong with promotion
gavinda

Post by gavinda »

There are also some advantages to doing a swap :)

engine is out so can very easily perform timing belt change/ tensioner etc
install new water pump or any other servicing or even swap in a fresh clutch plate.

ps. ive got a standard st205 engine in leeds, or forged rev4 engine,
or also building a forged beams turbo but thats something a bit special :-$
Last edited by gavinda on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
craig

Post by craig »

gavinda wrote:There are also some advantages to doing a swap :)

engine is out so can very easily perform timing belt change/ tensioner etc
install new water pump or any other servicing or even swap in a fresh clutch plate.

And get carried away and fit forged rod/pistons :twisted:

My first MR2 was a conversion. Insurance was based on a turbo model (I told them it had an engine swap)
synXero

Post by synXero »

gavinda wrote:also building a forged beams turbo but thats something a bit special :-$

FI? Charger or boost?? Protok's done a turbo'd beams and Mandalay's done a supercharged one if you need inspiration hahaha.
Rory

Post by Rory »

There's be similar threads recently and it's a sad fact that there aren't many good MR2's left. Even turbos that people are asking 3k+ for are shitters! I ended up going down the conversion route after picking up a straight ish NA for cheap and turning it into a turbo. Its still in the bodyshop at the moment but having a full top quality strip down and re-spray. Now I know this project is costing me well over 3k but ill know that ill have a rust free straight/immaculate MR2 at the end of it. My thread if you're interested http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Should have said my shells ok, but the drivers doors had it, rear arch is a bit rusty and at the back of the tbar is some discolouration/rust. It's my second car (got my van for work) so I'm in no rush to buy. I have 2 months left on the insurance and tax on mine so I've got time to find the right one. I know beggars can't be choosers but I would prefer a tintop as I don't use the tbars, so would be less leak prone and more quiet with a tintop and I prefer the looks :thumleft: So all said and done I would like a factory turbo not a conversion but thanks for all the info from you guys.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

they are out there, i just bought a rev3 tintop with a few nice mods for £1900 - off marf from here.

yes it could do with a gearbox as 3rd is a little crunchy, new torque mounts and front discs, but i knew that and wasnt phased as i have a ecent rev3 lsd gearbox, had the discs, so just need the mounts which are pretty cheap.

so they do come up
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

I know what you're saying Jason, I've only just started looking and it's going to be 6-8 weeks until I really want to buy one so time's on my side :thumleft:

There are 2 that have caught my eye so if they are still for sale in 2 months time (unlikely) I will go have a look at them. The first one is a nice looking black rev2 on eBay;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1993-L-Toyota ... 257ac5b0fd

Looks ok from the pictures but doesn't mention any service history which could be problem.

There's also a lovely looking red one on car and classics

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C333595#

Looks good but is probably my least favourite combination as in it's a red tbar
:pale:
craig

Post by craig »

The black one looks nice! I'd personally set your stall out for a rev3 turbo tin top :thumleft:
synXero

Post by synXero »

Something funny going on with that red one. Squint tail pipes and speedo.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Rev3 tintop in anything other than red, yellow or orange would be the perfect combination, as you say Red :mrgreen:

When I was looking last year for mine I didn't do any research on turbos, I've picked a few bits up over the past year from here but could do with more research. Do Rev3+ have more power iirc 240 as opposed to 225 for Rev1 and 2? One of the most important part is the gearbox has to be good as its the worst thing about mine, so is it only Rev1 that have the crap synchromesh?

Rory

Post by Rory »

same with the black one. Looks like rev 2 with rev 3 spoiler on the rear. Plus front spotlights missing.
craig

Post by craig »

Rory wrote:same with the black one. Looks like rev 2 with rev 3 spoiler on the rear. Plus front spotlights missing.

Or rev2 lights on a rev3. Note the aqua marine badge on centre panel.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

I noticed that aqua marine badge as well bit odd :cry:
greeny

Post by greeny »

gavinda wrote:
or also building a forged beams turbo but thats something a bit special :-$

An engine i want to build in the future!

Any details?
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”