[Mk2] [Turbo] Greddy PRofec B Spec II - recommended settings?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

adaz

[Mk2] [Turbo] Greddy PRofec B Spec II - recommended settings?

Post by adaz »

I'm playing with my boost controller but I don't really have any experience with this. I googled the manual (search for "PRofec_Bspec2.pdf", should appear on the first position) but I'm still not too confident about what values I should set for each option.. I'm also not quite sure what's the difference between "hi" and "lo" modes?

Ideally I'd like to set it to 1.1 - 1.2 bar (which is what I currently have) but as I said, I'm not too sure about the other options.. So, anyone willing to guide me through this? :pray:
Moo

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Greddy PRofec B Spec II - recommended settings?

Post by Moo »

Good setup guide here.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... ofec+setup

There are no differences between hi and lo modes. It's just so you can set 2 different boost levels and switch between them :thumleft:
adaz

Post by adaz »

Moo wrote:Good setup guide here.

There are no differences between hi and lo modes. It's just so you can set 2 different boost levels and switch between them :thumleft:

Great! I'll go through this couple of times until I understand it!

So what's the idea of hi and lo modes? I can set the "lo" boost if I want to drive normally and then I have the "hi" mode if I
decide to get a speeding ticket, right?
Moo

Post by Moo »

adaz wrote:So what's the idea of hi and lo modes? I can set the "lo" boost if I want to drive normally and then I have the "hi" mode if I
decide to get a speeding ticket, right?

Spot on. You could have lo mode set up for stock boost and hi mode for 1.2 bar although you don't have to set it up in both modes. You could just use one mode and leave it there all the time. Depends if you want 1.2 bar every time you plant it ;)

One thing you'll find with this EBC is that the settings will need tweaking when the weather gets hot as you won't make as much boost with the same settings as you will in the winter when the air is colder. Rather than having to keep tweaking your modes a few times a year you could use lo mode to set up for your maximum boost in the winter and hi mode for your maximum boost in the summer. Whatever works best for you.

Definitely make sure you set the limiter values (in both modes if using both for high boost) so it cuts boost at a sensible level. A very handy function of the EBC to stop you overboosting and breaking your car!
adaz

Post by adaz »

Moo wrote:Spot on. You could have lo mode set up for stock boost and hi mode for 1.2 bar although you don't have to set it up in both modes. You could just use one mode and leave it there all the time. Depends if you want 1.2 bar every time you plant it ;)

One thing you'll find with this EBC is that the settings will need tweaking when the weather gets hot as you won't make as much boost with the same settings as you will in the winter when the air is colder. Rather than having to keep tweaking your modes a few times a year you could use lo mode to set up for your maximum boost in the winter and hi mode for your maximum boost in the summer. Whatever works best for you.

Definitely make sure you set the limiter values (in both modes if using both for high boost) so it cuts boost at a sensible level. A very handy function of the EBC to stop you overboosting and breaking your car!

This finally makes sense.. thanks!
Gillies88

Post by Gillies88 »

hey was wondering if you could help me what set up did you eventually go for ive tried setting mine up but just keep making it worse :?:
archangel

Post by archangel »

You will need to tweak it depending on how your turbo, pipework, etc. and everything else behaves together.

By the way you will need to find a long straight road without traffic that you can boost it up and down while checking the readings, or have someone else in the car checking it for you.

Twiddling the knob to set the percentage basically sets the percentage extra boost you want it to let through. While calculating this should work in practice I've found I just have to use trial and error to find what works.
Start low from maybe 10% and see what psi it boost up to. Note: You will notice it will take a while to climb up to the desired boost level and that it may start falling off at higher RPMs. The peak of the curve is what you are looking for so adjust that to get up to 17-18psi or whatever your goal is.

SET GAIN is the point the wastegate starts to open. Try setting this at 14psi the higher the value the punchier it will be as the boost will come in quicker and more aggressively. If you set it too high the time it takes for the wastegate to open will push you over your target boost which you don't want either.

Warning is the absolute max psi you ever want to hit even if it happens to overboost slightly. Set this at maybe 19psi or something.

The next setting is a percentage to drop the max limit if if you hit the warn limit. This value will depend on how the rest is setup but start maybe at 7% or so. If you set it too high it will drop the boost, but then over settings will raise the boost, and vice versa resulting in your boost continually fluctuating up and down.

The Gain setting is purely to prevent drop off at higher RPMs. Say for example you hit 18psi at 4000rpm and then you notice it drops to 17.6 at 5000, 17.2 at 6000 then you need to dial in some gain to keep it at 18.

There's a bit more to it but just be careful and start low on everything and build it up slowly.

Return to “Modifications”