[Mk2] [Turbo] Steering wobble at speed

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

joemacmr2

[Mk2] [Turbo] Steering wobble at speed

Post by joemacmr2 »

Was cruising on motorway today and noticed the steering was very wobbly, dangerously wobbly. What could this be? Warped discs? When I let go of steering wheel it goes veers left and pulling left when braking (calliper stuck?) I know these cars are 20+ yrs old but surely it should handle a bit better
Baker

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Steering wobble at speed

Post by Baker »

There are 99 topics on this already - try the search facility.
joemacmr2

Post by joemacmr2 »

Tried it, can't see anything
Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 »

Has it always been like this? I would get the alignment checked and make sure the wheels are balanced.
joemacmr2

Post by joemacmr2 »

Only bought it a few weeks back and didn't test it on a motorway. The front tyres are a bit worn on the outside too,is this pointing towards an alignment issue, do u think?
Nic

Post by Nic »

There is definitely an issue. Pulling when braking is likely to be a seized caliper(s), get the car on a lift and get the brakes, all the suspension components, tyres, wheels, wheel bearings, etc. thoroughly checked over. Also get the wheels balanced and the geometry checked.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
joemacmr2

Post by joemacmr2 »

Will do, do mr2's handle well even for the age of them these days? Is it a 4 wheel alignment I need?
Nic

Post by Nic »

joemacmr2 wrote:Will do, do mr2's handle well even for the age of them these days? Is it a 4 wheel alignment I need?

They handle very well if in good working order, you definitely have some issues, impossible to diagnose what is wrong over the net, you need to get the car checked over by an experienced mechanic.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Baker

Post by Baker »

Reading the 99 topics will really help.

I wasn't being pedantic, it really will!
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Baker wrote:Reading the 99 topics will really help.

I wasn't being pedantic, it really will!

+1.

Could be: caliper, disc, wheel bearing, hub, lower ball joint, top mount, wheel, tyre, geometry.....
Baker

Post by Baker »

aj.extreme

Post by aj.extreme »

Spiggot rings?
joemacmr2

Post by joemacmr2 »

Spiggot rings for the wobble? Haven't had wheels off yet so I'll check that. Cured the problem for me on a previous golf yrs ago

If the car pulling to left, is it the right or left caliper that may be seized. Lots of conflicting answers, people saying left, others saying right. I did have a look at brake pads and the left seems to have less meat on it, but I thought it should be the right caliper sticking to pull left
aj.extreme

Post by aj.extreme »

I had the same on my car when i first picked it up, awful wobble actually scary! Fitted the correct spiggot rings, wheel alignment done and it cured the problem. Just a thought worth checking if you have aftermarket wheels :thumleft:
joemacmr2

Post by joemacmr2 »

Did u do a 4 wheel alignment?
synXero

Post by synXero »

joemacmr2 wrote:Spiggot rings for the wobble? Haven't had wheels off yet so I'll check that. Cured the problem for me on a previous golf yrs ago

If the car pulling to left, is it the right or left caliper that may be seized. Lots of conflicting answers, people saying left, others saying right. I did have a look at brake pads and the left seems to have less meat on it, but I thought it should be the right caliper sticking to pull left

Could be either. If it's pulling left, the left side is dragging, therefore the left hand side caliper could be stuck partially on. Alternatively, the right hand side caliper could be seized and not properly gripping the disc, meaning braking is stronger on the left causing you to pull left.

Most common cause of steering wheel wobble is wheels being out of alignment or not properly centered. Get some spigot rings if you're on aftermarket wheels, they cost a few quid and do a lot of good if your nuts don't perfectly centre the wheel. You just SHOULD have them, no buts. I'd do that first, since it's cheap. If it doesn't solve it, get your alignment done. To be honest, most cars on the road could probably benefit from good alignment set ups. If you've noticed your tyres are wearing wrongly, then you should DEFINITELY get this done and it will at least fix some issues. It will be pricier than spigots but don't skimp. Needless to say, take it to somewhere that uses a proper Hunter machine rather than your local Kwikfit. IMO.

If that doesn't rectify, consider that your alloys might be buckled, bent, or otherwise not running true. Visually inspect (the inside lips and barrels remember). Like others have said that could in fact be a problem with suspension components being misaligned or broken, rather than just the wheel. Unlikely, but if the car's had a bump, gone off the road, or hit a vicious pot hole...

Hopefully this helps a little. The operative point, is get in and take a look. Inspect your alloys and your tyres and they will give you clues. Fix what's cheap, and just work through it trial-and-error. Or, as Nic says, get a mechanic to take a look.
joemacmr2

Post by joemacmr2 »

Thanks for info, left work last night and put car on full lock to the left and could feel the wheels hopping, as if something was popping out of its socket so I suspect ball joint, track rod end will be the first components to check
vinnyninja

Post by vinnyninja »

joemacmr2 wrote:Thanks for info, left work last night and put car on full lock to the left and could feel the wheels hopping, as if something was popping out of its socket so I suspect ball joint, track rod end will be the first components to check

snaped spring?? can cause that popping on full lock ,, you relly could do with getting it in the air and looked over .... :thumleft:
Nic

Post by Nic »

From what you've said the car sounds dangerous and unroadworthy at the moment - which strictly speaking could void your insurance. There could be many reasons for the vibration, braking and tracking issues you are experiencing, with the car on a lift, a decent mechanic should be able to quickly diagnose what the problems are, it may cost you half an hour in labour but at least then you'll know exactly what needs sorting.

Where are you located? there may be an forum member/trader local to you that could help.
Last edited by Nic on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Nic

Post by Nic »

joemacmr2 wrote:Thanks for info, left work last night and put car on full lock to the left and could feel the wheels hopping, as if something was popping out of its socket so I suspect ball joint, track rod end will be the first components to check

My guess would be a seized upper mount bearing causing the spring to turn when steering, it's a common problem and very easy to check.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo

Return to “Mechanical”