[Mk2] [Turbo] Softer than Teins?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Marlowe

[Mk2] [Turbo] Softer than Teins?

Post by Marlowe »

My Rev 2 turbo came with a set of Tein coilovers. I don't mind a stiff ride, and they are excellent on a track, but even the slightest divot on a b road threatens to snap the wheel out of my hand.

I'm looking for a suitable alternative that's softer but without compromising the handling. Are yellow bilsteins the way forward? Would raising the tein ride height in the mean time soften the ride at all, or just make it bounce?

Chere. :)
Rev 2 Turbo (Testing my patience)

Golf GTI MK5 (Competent but dull)
Rory

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Softer than Teins?

Post by Rory »

What version Teins are they? I had superstreets and they were fine. I'm running BC coilovers and the ride is perfect now. Not much harder than stock really.
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

how about......yellow billies i hear there amazing
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

4ndee wrote:how about......yellow billies i hear there amazing

So why you selling yours? :lol:
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

:O am i??? what a coincidence. I brought all new shocks as i needed springs worked out cheaper
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

Haha. Unsure what they are. Found a mouldy tein catalogue in the frunk when i first got the car; look like super streets and have the adjustable damper and height, but dampness doesn't seem to make a difference. Possibly just me; Peter's got it atm for a coolant problem and has driven it so hoping to ask for his opinion on the ride.

Seem pretty crashy on roads anywhere other than Germany to me. I find i rarely drive it hard on empty country roads for that reason, which partly rounds the owning experience of such a potent car.

Are yellows a significant drop down in stiffness? I don't mind the suspension being hard but at present it seems to have no compliance at all; I know raising height can help sometimes but that it depends on the coilovrr design.

Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

Also apologies; typing on a galaxy note so I'm getting some odd words...

Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

Sounds like the springs that come with the Teins are far too stiff for the road (common issue with Teins and other coilovers). TBH I've never been in an MR2 that rode "acceptably" on coilovers on a variety of different roads, although I haven't tried KW's, which are supposed to offer one of the best compromises (but more expensive).

You could try a set a lower rate springs, but then you don't know what you currently have without getting them tested, and lower rate springs might be outwith the dampers current spec / valving, so you may end up with suspension that doesn't perform well on either the road or track.. :-k
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

Thanks for this input. My friend on here on here, Dave, has a Rev 2 turbo with the standard black bilsteins which are maybe a little too soft for my liking (although they are originals so maybe a little tired), so I was trying to find some middle ground between the two.

synXero

Post by synXero »

I gather HSD Dual Techs are a pretty good midpoint. I kind of fancy a set myself.
Loque

Post by Loque »

... What's softer than Teins?

Just about anything.
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

The yellow bilstein struts are 20% firmer than the standard black turbo struts. Matched with Apex Springs is quite good apparantly. Firm but not crashy. Havent tried it myself though.
Ive got yellow billies with tein springs. Very hard ride so im changing to softer springs eventually.
Jayridium

Post by Jayridium »

Konis are a magic set up for fast road....
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

Try contacting Tein UK, they may be able to re-valve your current Teins for a softer setup.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Just change the springs for softer ones, that is all you need to do
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Adam86
Premium Member

Post by Adam86 »

I use 30mm apex springs with standard black bilsteins. I would say the ride is perfect for fast road with bumps etc. On track it by no means rolls about but im sure stiffer would be better in that environment. But overall l can't complain.

I noticed the harsher ride going from 15" to 16" wheels on the above setup.
hmltnangel

Post by hmltnangel »

simba90 wrote:The yellow bilstein struts are 20% firmer than the standard black turbo struts. Matched with Apex Springs is quite good apparantly. Firm but not crashy. Havent tried it myself though.
Ive got yellow billies with tein springs. Very hard ride so im changing to softer springs eventually.

Same here - bought yellow billies with tein springs, trd top mounts,17" wheels ...... and damn the ride is hard! Softer springs methinks :)
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

bobhatton wrote:Just change the springs for softer ones, that is all you need to do

Think allot of the US guys go for swift springs on their coilovers for a better ride, probably have a bit of a softer springrate compared to std teins.
Mike N

Post by Mike N »

I have tein's on mine, I now run 170lb fronts and 280lb rears.

Return to “Modifications”