[Mk2] [Turbo] 235/40 R17 Proxes on 7 inch rim?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kingsley

[Mk2] [Turbo] 235/40 R17 Proxes on 7 inch rim?

Post by kingsley »

Hi,

Has anyone here tried 235/40 R17 Toyo Proxes T1-R on a 7 inch wide rim?

Unfortunately my car has 7" wide rims all round, I can't afford to change them just yet but I do need new rear tyres and would prefer to put a 235 on the back instead of the daft 215/40 ones it has on there at the moment.

I think 7.5" would be OK but I'm not sure about 7". I think the offset is OK, they're just a bit narrow.

I tried searching but couldn't find an answer.

Cheers,
Kingsley.
alan_uk

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] 235/40 R17 Proxes on 7 inch rim?

Post by alan_uk »

i have just upgraded to 9j on the rear but had 7" previous with 235/40/17

:thumleft:
kingsley

Post by kingsley »

Aha, encouraging :)

Were they OK or did they seem a bit pinched in?

Cheers,
Kingsley.
alan_uk

Post by alan_uk »

never had any problems mate for 2 year :)
kingsley

Post by kingsley »

Excellent, thanks :)

Cheers,
Kingsley.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

even a 7.5 inch rim is a bit narrow, Toyo approve 8inch rim minimum but it's your car your risk :)

235/40ZR17 8.00-8.5-9.50
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

235/45/17 would fit better on that rim width, but as above, not ideal.

Plenty 225/45/17's available...
shinny

Post by shinny »

Rosssco wrote:235/45/17 would fit better on that rim width, but as above, not ideal.

Why are you suggesting using oversize tyres? (ie. by increasing the profile those tyres are now 37mm too large and introduce a 6% speedo underread)) Besides, increasing the profile won't change the fact that the 235 will bulge a little on a 7J rim - it'll just reduce the visual appearance of the budge a little.

By comparison, I run 245/35/17s (perfect fit on 8J wheels) and their rolling radius is almost exactly the same as the stock wheels :thumleft:

Why I was running 7J wheels all round, I had UniRroyal Rainsport 2 205/40/17 front and 215/40/17 combined with 15mm spacers on the rear, and it was a pretty good setup - I certainly didn't notice a loss of handling compared to the stock setup I'd been driving for a couple of years previous.
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

shinny wrote:
Rosssco wrote:235/45/17 would fit better on that rim width, but as above, not ideal.

Why are you suggesting using oversize tyres? (ie. by increasing the profile those tyres are now 37mm too large and introduce a 6% speedo underread)) Besides, increasing the profile won't change the fact that the 235 will bulge a little on a 7J rim - it'll just reduce the visual appearance of the budge a little.

I'm not, the OP did... I was just offering an option that may fit the rim better, as the higher the profile, generally the narrower the rim it will fit. Dropping down to a 225 tyre still offers limited choice - 225/40/17 aren't really available, and 225/35/17 may not even got on that rim size.
shinny

Post by shinny »

Rosssco wrote:I'm not, the OP did...

Oops, sorry :oops:

Rosssco wrote:Dropping down to a 225 tyre still offers limited choice - 225/40/17 aren't really available

225/40/17s do exist, but they're rare.

kingsley wrote:would prefer to put a 235 on the back instead of the daft 215/40 ones it has on there at the moment.

Why? What's daft about a tyre that fits the physical wheel well (better than a 235 tyre, for sure!) while still matching the rolling radius pretty closely. I'd suggest a 215/40/17 is a better tyre to fit than going for a visible bulge AND an oversized profile. BTW, width does not automatically equal grip...

This is what 205/40/17 + 215/40/17 looks like when fitting to 17x7J wheels:

kingsley

Post by kingsley »

Hi everyone, thakns for your answers so far.

The reason I want to put wider ones on the rear is because the car is too tail happy as it is. I don't think the car suits the same all round and I don't want to put really skinny ones on the front just because the rears aren't big enough.

What is daft IMHO is that 215s are too narrow as rears for the car, regardless of whether they're right for the rims. If they're wrong for the car but right for the rims, then the rims are wrong too.

The obvious thing would be to get new rims with wider rears but I can't afford that at the moment, but I need new tyres now and would rather not waste money on another set the wrong size for the car if I have an option to put a wider set onto the rims I have.

I'm fairly sure that 235/40 R17 could be physically fitted onto a 7" rim but I wasn't sure whether it would put unacceptable stress onto the structure of the tyre.

I agree about 245/35 R17. That is a size I had considered, if I manage to change the rims for 8" or 8.5" at the rear at some point.

It's all a bit of a pain really - I've spent hours looking on various sites for options but so far there hasn't been a happy ending :(

Cheers,
Kingsley.
alan_uk

Post by alan_uk »

My car before the wheel swap mate for the last 5 year had run 7j x 17" all round with

215/40/17 toto t1r front
235/40/17 Avon zz3 rear

With no problems at all no damage to tyres great grip look ok handled well and apart from a screw in 1 rear tyre once been absolutely fine

And that's experience not here say :)
alan_uk

Post by alan_uk »

Oh and the car traveled to and from Teesside to London every 2 weeks in that time for work with no issues
shinny

Post by shinny »

kingsley wrote:The reason I want to put wider ones on the rear is because the car is too tail happy as it is.

As I said, tyre width is not the same as grip!

First I would:

1) Check tyre pressures all round and maybe drop a couple of psi from the rears
2) Get a full 4-wheel alignment done. Parallel or toe-out at the rear will certainly make the car more tail happy, and new tyres will not sort that!

Those two things will have a larger affect on you car's handling and will cost you less than just swapping a pair of tyres (checking and reducing pressure is free!).

Also, the make and model of tyre you fit will be more important to grip that the exact size.
kingsley

Post by kingsley »

shinny wrote:
kingsley wrote:The reason I want to put wider ones on the rear is because the car is too tail happy as it is.

As I said, tyre width is not the same as grip!

Sorry I missed that the first time.

I have to admit, I've never really understood the width=grip thing because the greater contact patch would have less pressure against the tarmac by the same proportion which would reduce grip per unit area and I would have thought cancelled out the extra contact area, but getting more rubber onto the ground does seem to be a commonly strived for thing (eg slick tyres in racing) so I'd just accepted it.

Besides that, the car has had a 4 wheel alignment done already. I admit I haven't tried dropping the pressures in the rears - how will that help?

The tyres are the same type all round. I'd never buy these again (Yokohama Paradas). They're OK in the dry but I think they're lethal in the wet.

Aside from the arguments for and against, I had assumed that Toyota changed the tyre widths to a staggered setup for a good reason and this is why I was striving to do the same.

Do a lot of MR2 owners not bother with the staggered setup?

Cheers,
Kingsley.
shinny

Post by shinny »

kingsley wrote:I have to admit, I've never really understood the width=grip thing because the greater contact patch would have less pressure against the tarmac by the same proportion which would reduce grip per unit area and I would have thought cancelled out the extra contact area, but getting more rubber onto the ground does seem to be a commonly strived for thing (eg slick tyres in racing) so I'd just accepted it.

In a vastly simplified world, a wider tyre at the same pressure gives NO extra rubber on the road. It may not be that simple in real life, but simply widening the tyre and keeping the same pressure will give you very little.

Slick tyres etc. are as much to do about tyre compound than anything else. Also the bigger the tread blocks (as you'll see on your Paradas) are good for dry grip.

Tyres are alot more than just a size.

kingsley wrote:Besides that, the car has had a 4 wheel alignment done already. I admit I haven't tried dropping the pressures in the rears - how will that help?

That actually WILL put more rubber on the road. Lower pressure allows the tyre to deform more, allowing a greater contact patch on the road.

kingsley wrote:The tyres are the same type all round. I'd never buy these again (Yokohama Paradas). They're OK in the dry but I think they're lethal in the wet.

That's exactly what I say about Paradas - they are truly awful tyres! One of the biggest moments I've had was on Paradas in the wet when the car suddenly broke away around a corner and I had to catch a tank slapper before oncoming traffic hit me. The Nissan Micra I was following drove round the same corner at the same speed in the same manner and was absolutely fine! :lol:

kingsley wrote:Aside from the arguments for and against, I had assumed that Toyota changed the tyre widths to a staggered setup for a good reason and this is why I was striving to do the same.

Do a lot of MR2 owners not bother with the staggered setup?

Most owners aim for a staggered setup, and I wasn't suggesting anything different for you. I wasn't aware you also had 215s up front too - I was suggesting a smaller stagger (205 F 215 R) given the lack of stagger on your alloys.

My point is I'd rather have a reduced stagger with tyres that fit the rims well, than get the full 30mm stagger with tyres that bulge off the rim. (I don't exactly know what this will do to the handling and ride, but it clearly must have an affect as you'll be asking the sidewalls to take forces in directions hey're not designed to do)

On my previous rev5 with 7J all round I moved from exactly your setup (215/40/17 Parada 2s all round) to a mildly staggered setup (205/40/17 F 215/40/17 R UniRoyal Rainsports) and found the wet weather handling was vastly improved and otherwise it was a match for the standard 15" setup I had been used to. I admit I've never had 235/40/17s on a 7J, but it looks so wrong, visually, that I didn't want to spend my money on it!

So yes, I'm sure there is a good reason why Toyota fitted wider wheels to the back, but I'm sure there's also a good reason tyre manufacturers say not to but 235 width tyres on 7J wheels.
kingsley

Post by kingsley »

I suppose what a wider tyre does give you is the ability to lower the pressure a bit without as much deformation of the tyre under the car's weight (ie a tractor tyre at 8psi would probably support the car quite well, but a bicycle tyre at 8psi would be squashed flat).

This in turn would be what would give a larger contact patch (therefore potentially more grip). However, as there is less tyre deformation, I presume there would be less scrubbing as the tyre rolls (not sure whether that's the right term here). This would reduce tyre wear and result in less heating of the tyre, which would then allow a softer compound to be used, thus providing more grip.

So, from the above, having wider tyres allows for more grip, but perhaps not for the reasons that most people think. Is that right?

Your story about following the Micra is shocking but I'm glad to hear it in that I know I can blame the tyres (which are easily replaced) and not the car! I'm amazed that tyres that behave in this way are still on sale these days, especially sold as a premium tyre.

Thanks for all of that info, very useful and well presented.

Cheers,
Kingsley.
shinny

Post by shinny »

kingsley wrote:I suppose what a wider tyre does give you is the ability to lower the pressure a bit without as much deformation of the tyre under the car's weight (ie a tractor tyre at 8psi would probably support the car quite well, but a bicycle tyre at 8psi would be squashed flat).

This in turn would be what would give a larger contact patch (therefore potentially more grip). However, as there is less tyre deformation, I presume there would be less scrubbing as the tyre rolls (not sure whether that's the right term here). This would reduce tyre wear and result in less heating of the tyre, which would then allow a softer compound to be used, thus providing more grip.

So, from the above, having wider tyres allows for more grip, but perhaps not for the reasons that most people think. Is that right?

Yes, that's how I look at it, correctly or otherwise. I run below standard pressures on my road tyres, which are all 20mm wider than stock. Although lower pressure means low fuel economy, so it becomes a trade-off. Also, the car will feel sharper with high pressures, but have less grip.

kingsley wrote:Your story about following the Micra is shocking but I'm glad to hear it in that I know I can blame the tyres (which are easily replaced) and not the car! I'm amazed that tyres that behave in this way are still on sale these days, especially sold as a premium tyre.

One could argue that I should have known that I was driving beyond the capabilities of the car in the speed I took that corner (which wat not fast), so to 'blame' the tyres would be incorrect. I get the blame because in that exact circumstance, 5 years ago, as I exceeded the car's performance envelope. The reason why that envelope turned out to be significantly smaller than a Micra's (and much smaller than I had anticipated) is because the car had thoroughly inappropriate tyres on.

Stunningly the Paradas have a 'C' classification in wet braking, however tyre reviews seem full of people warning about their wet performance.

I wanted SO BAD to believe they are not a disaster on wet as i had red about, BUT THEY ARE! I bought them and i regret it! If it rains even a little, fun is over! I have a 250hp Bertone Turbo but even a 130hp car with proper tyres would beat me on wet asphalt! They are dangerous on wet and i regret so much i've bought them, i was foolished by the design.

kingsley wrote:Thanks for all of that info, very useful and well presented.

Not a problem - I hope it helps :thumleft:

Return to “Modifications”