[Mk2] [Turbo] Not a pretty sight...Hose From Hell?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Marlowe

[Mk2] [Turbo] Not a pretty sight...Hose From Hell?

Post by Marlowe »

I've not driven my MR2 much recently due to the bad weather, and decided today, with it being a crisp afternoon, to take it for a quick spin before taking the battery out for the winter...

It wasn't a great plan. Turned the engine on and the rad fan started playing full blast. Peter at SBITS had sorted this for me before, so I thought it was weird but thought maybe the temp switch had failed again, or that the cold had got to the electrics.

Unfortunately things didn't get much better by the time I got back. The car's had a high pitched whine for a while now, and this was back with a vengeance today. So when I got home I popped the engine lid...and there was steam pouring out from the top right side, from close to where the condensor is.

Got underneath and saw the following:

The coolant seems to run down most of the right of the car (rear subframe and along the under panels) to just before the engine bay), making it hard to localise the cause. I figured it was the Hose from Hell so tried to get closer to look.

Tried to get my phone to take a pic of the Hose From Hell, as I figured it might be this but I couldn't get the angle. It didn't seem wet but it is in the right place for the steam that was pouring out when the engine was hot.

I also noticed a small amount of coolant on the battery - took the trim in the front trunk off and found that a small amount of coolant was dripping from the heating unit's bleed valve - loosened the valve's plastic tap a little then tightened up. Unsure if the trace amount present could the be cause of the leak as far back as the rear subframe...

Is anyone with more experience able to say if this is likely to be the HFH?

Cheers. :(
Rev 2 Turbo (Testing my patience)

Golf GTI MK5 (Competent but dull)
Marlowe

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Not a pretty sight...Hose From Hell?

Post by Marlowe »

Any suggestions at all welcome. It's too wet (and dark) to get underneath it now but I'm keen to know what to look for so I can tell how bad it is and whether I need to take it to Peter sharpish or if I can leave it until I was planning to take it to once the weather improves in Spring.

Will it empty coolant constantly (not noticed coolant leaking until I drove it and got underneath), or just when engine is running?

Cheers :neutral:

monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

edit - ignore
SW20 Rev1 Supercharged 2GR-FE Powered Trackday Car.
Daemonslayer

Post by Daemonslayer »

i have no experience regarding coolant leacks down there.
but if you say you think it comes from that area - you are left to 3 things beeing reason for this.
this will be most common the

-hose from hell no5 (sorry i only know the caldina names)
-hose water bypass no4 (no4 on caldina)
-O-Ring for waterbypass hardpipe (Waterpump area)
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

well if the pipe from hell has broken then it would empty on to the to the level which is a far bit of water, and would empty the water out of the system quite quickly. I checked mine by nipping around to a garage and asking to use there bore scope to explore that area as it hard to see otherwise.
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

Thanks guys - have dropped it off with Peter for diagnostic & repairs. Will update when fixed in case anyone else has similar coolant leaks. :)

Return to “Mechanical”