[Mk2] [Generic] removing power steering

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

danielmotegi

[Mk2] [Generic] removing power steering

Post by danielmotegi »

hi guys. had a wee search on the forum and appears maybe im the only one that wants to do this. i was looking to disable my power steering. can i simply just pull the plugs out of my pump so the pump doesn't run, or would it be worth removing as many power steering parts as possible to just to reduce the weight. i had a shot of it with just the pump disconnected and hard to park but fealt great to drive.
Loque

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] removing power steering

Post by Loque »

Wouldn't you need to blank off ports and drain fluid etc to do a proper job? I've always thought about losing mine, but it just sounds like a lot of hassle.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Have you ever felt how hard the steering is when the power steering stops working? :lol:
Loque

Post by Loque »

But then you're turning the fluid as well surely. Perfect compromise would be one of those pinions that they're doing the group buy on at the moment, if they ever transpired, that is.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Or fit an N/A rack.
LukeSi

Post by LukeSi »

Sorry for the bump but my Rev 3 is getting the P/S removed on Wednesday, the rack is coming from a Rev 1. More to do with the fact I can't afford to spend hundreds of pounds on tracing a wiring fault than anything. But since it already weighs a ton steering at low speed it can only be an improvement to have a manual rack.

Besides a weight saving of about 19kg is always a good thing.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

pretty sure when i once had both types next to each other that the point the steering knuckle goes through the frunk floor to the rack is slightly different on ps cars and non ps cars, one may of course fit the other but they are different
Loque

Post by Loque »

I've actually just dropped the pressure in my front tyres. It's made the steering heavier and is a pretty simple and easy solution.

Return to “Mechanical”