[Mk2] [Turbo] timing belt what do i need

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jamesmr21987

[Mk2] [Turbo] timing belt what do i need

Post by jamesmr21987 »

hi i am doing my timing belt what would be best practice to change and do i need to lock off my cams any help would be very welcome
sidewaysmk2tubby

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] timing belt what do i need

Post by sidewaysmk2tubby »

Have you checked the bgb for instructions and guide for it?
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

It's advisable to replace the water pump whilst you have the belt off.
jamesmr21987

Post by jamesmr21987 »

yea got bgb is it the same for 1991 as 1993 do i need to lock off the cams and replace any pullys
sidewaysmk2tubby

No need but best to dab a bit of paint on the tooth and cam cover to mark the positioning and make sure you do this once you have turned the crank to tbc, on thecam cover back shield you will see there are indentations to help align the markings up.

The water pump is definitely advisable and check the hydraulic tensioner is ok if not replace it. This is the hardest bit upon reassembly (need small hands and a bucket load of patience) when you bolt the 2 bolts up for the tensioner make sure they go in correctly so to avoid crossthreading into the head.

Also you will want to have a ratchet or socket bar pulling up on the top tensioner idler pulley to enable you to get the hydraulic tensioner in the correct placement.

You will need a small 1 or 2mm allen key to slide into the tensioner when you slowly compress the pin back into the tensioner using a vice. ( I used a C clamp which worked)
sidewaysmk2tubby

And I'd replace the idler pulleys too. It's not to hard just take time over it and I'm sure you'll be fine. Oh and yes it's the same on rev1 2 and 3
:thumleft:

Return to “Mechanical”