[Mk2] [Turbo] lightweight flywheels yes or no

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

blogsy

[Mk2] [Turbo] lightweight flywheels yes or no

Post by blogsy »

Hi, i was thinking about putting a lightweight flywheel in my rev 3 turbo and was hoping to get a bit of a heads up from anyone that has already done it. Is it all good or are there some down sides. Thanks.
planted1

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] lightweight flywheels yes or no

Post by planted1 »

If you do a search on here you will see page after page about this.
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

I have used the search feature. It revs up faster and you need more rpm to pull off. I wanted to hear from someone that had one, what is it like as a daily drive would you recomend it, is it more for track use. i cant find any of that in a search.
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

ive one, tbh you wont need to alter your driving style at all. Ive not really noticed any negatives. It does rev a little easier, im not sure id goto the bother of fitting one if I didnt have to take the box off though, ie: clutch change.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

rev3turbo wrote:tbh you wont need to alter your driving style at all.

Willenium

Post by Willenium »

We had one fitted with an uprated clutch last year when our old clutch seemingly exploded. Revs up a little more responsively.

I've been reading a couple of threads on here that got me thinking. Some of the members have discussed premature engine failure, apparently due to lightweight crank pulleys. I started thinking about whether a lightened flywheel would have much the same effect :-k
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Willenium wrote:We had one fitted with an uprated clutch last year when our old clutch seemingly exploded. Revs up a little more responsively.

I've been reading a couple of threads on here that got me thinking. Some of the members have discussed premature engine failure, apparently due to lightweight crank pulleys. I started thinking about whether a lightened flywheel would have much the same effect :-k

Yes it will
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

See I've always been of the opinion that the flywheel is ok, but was certainly interested by Bobs post about the counterweights.

however, the reason one wouldn't go for a lightened crank pully is the lack of harmonic dampning.

thooughts?
ashley

Post by ashley »

I agree that losing the harmonic balancer in the crank pulley could be a bad thing, but I'm not sold on a light weight flywheel being an issue- as long as it is properly balanced of course.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

ashman wrote:I agree that losing the harmonic balancer in the crank pulley could be a bad thing, but I'm not sold on a light weight flywheel being an issue- as long as it is properly balanced of course.

The flywheel does the same as the harmonic balancer, it stops the flex in the crankshaft. If Toyota could have got away with a lighter one they would have, think how much money they would save using less metal, but they did not because the flywheel as well as the harmonic balancer is all part of the crankshaft design and they all need to work together.
There is nothing to be gained with a lighter flywheel, the car will not go any faster.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
synXero

Post by synXero »

Surely the free reving idea is rubbish.

I would've thought the primary resistance to the engines ability to rev is overwhelmingly the resistance of the tyres on the Tarmac. The speed of engine revs with the clutch disengaged doesn't interest me even slightly nor you I expect.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

synXero wrote:Surely the free reving idea is rubbish.

I would've thought the primary resistance to the engines ability to rev is overwhelmingly the resistance of the tyres on the Tarmac. The speed of engine revs with the clutch disengaged doesn't interest me even slightly nor you I expect.

Take weight out of the car and or driver, that is the only way to make a car free reving
synXero

Post by synXero »

bobhatton wrote:
synXero wrote:Surely the free reving idea is rubbish.

Take weight out of the car and or driver, that is the only way to make a car free reving

A lot of people claim that quad throttle bodies make cars rev much more quickly/freely. Is this true?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

The engine pick up will be faster if you rev the engine out of gear but when the engine has to push the weight of the car then that is not going to change.

I am fitting throttle bodies to my turbo engine build to give better control over the flow to the cylinders, the last thing I will need is faster response.
greeny

Post by greeny »

ashman wrote:I agree that losing the harmonic balancer in the crank pulley could be a bad thing, but I'm not sold on a light weight flywheel being an issue- as long as it is properly balanced of course.

X2. I can see losing the harmonic dampener being a problem at certain revs.

Where is most of the weight lost on the common lightweight flywheels? Is it close to centre or towards the outta edge?
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
greeny

Post by greeny »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
rev3turbo wrote:tbh you wont need to alter your driving style at all.

Fit him a tilton flywheel and tell him to drive the same...

Then proceed to chuckle as he stalls trying to pull off :mrgreen:
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
calum4492

flywheel

Post by calum4492 »

no hijacking the thread here but are u planning fly by wire system for the 4 throttle bodys? if so will be very interesting to see
bobhatton

Re: flywheel

Post by bobhatton »

calum4492 wrote:no hijacking the thread here but are u planning fly by wire system for the 4 throttle bodys? if so will be very interesting to see

No, that would be very hard to set up and not much room so just a cable
BrianUK
Premium Member

:)

Post by BrianUK »

I have a Fidenza flyhwheel fitted to my car. It does make a difference - the engine does pick up quicker, and it does accelerate quicker, but I would not have gone to the time and effort of fitting it if had I not had the engine out anyway.

The Fidenza flywheel weighs 4kgs, - I believe the original is closer to 14...
the only downside I can find is that the car has to have a higher than normal tickover.

Havng a heavier than required flyhweel allows idle speed to be lower, and thats one trick that motor vehicle manufacturers use to get new vehicles through the stringent US emisssion laws...

The Fidenza flywheel is an aluminium unit with a steel faceplate for the clutch, and a steel toothed ring for the starter motor and is a popular upgrade in the states....

Return to “Modifications”