Mk1b radiators?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Finn

Mk1b radiators?

Post by Finn »

Right.

I have what looks to be probably original radiator in my car. It is rusty but it does not leak yet and I would like to replace it before I have to.

I see new radiators listed by companies like Fensport and TCB, some are quite expensive and some are reasonable priced. My car is enginewise stock and probably will always be so. I just want a good radiator which will last a long time.

Is there a preferred brand/source? I have been offered a Nissens radiator locally for about the same price what TCB would cost with freight.

Any opinions about Nissens? Original radiator seems to have metal tanks so I believe new ones would too - or at least should.

Opinions, please?
XLarge

Re: Mk1b radiators?

Post by XLarge »

A bit off topic, but just to let You know: Look out for the size of the radiator You will buy. The Mk1a had a smaller one standing upright in the front. The Mk1b needs a bigger radiator which is mounted laying backwards and the brackets differs too.
Finn

Post by Finn »

Thanks for the heads up. :salut:

Supplier confirmed that the only Nissens radiator in the country is all metal so I bought it. Which is nice. 8)
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I bought a Nissens radiator last year for mine - £101 delivered with a 2 year warranty. Good value.
XLarge

Post by XLarge »

I wanted a upgrade for the cooling system of my Mk1a so I bought a aluminium radiator made for the Mk1b and a set of Spal fans.

www_toyotacarina.de/mr2_rebirth_12.jpg
Finn

Post by Finn »

XL, that's a handsome radiator. Is that custom built for you?

My Nissens arrived today. Woot! :D

XLarge

Post by XLarge »

No, wasn´t made specialy for me. Bought it via ebay.com for around 250 € delivered to Germany.
Finn

Post by Finn »

That's very reasonable price for alu rad. My Nissens was 195,-e from local spare parts dealer.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”