[Mk2] [Turbo] Engine turns over but won't start

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

chaos19810

[Mk2] [Turbo] Engine turns over but won't start

Post by chaos19810 »

Hi as most of will know I've been doing a n/a to tubby conversion with the added confusion of using a rev1 loom to do a rev3 head and ecu conversion all at the same time.

Today's instalments goes like this, I put a inline fuel filter in and checked the fuel pump was working and it was with fp and b+ bridged, then I used an inline spark plug checker on the king pin and all the leads and they where all fine. So I turned it over and it started. I got over excited turned it off to go get the girl friend so she could bask in my mechanical genus but the engine refused to start again? I checked the ecu codes and it blinking twice a second quite happily away?

I'm now running out of ideas? Would a air leak into the system cause it to not start? And also could I just check that spark plug 1 is indeed the one nearest the cambelt I'm doubting myself now?

The other decision is do I just dig out the old loom and remove all the Rev3 parts and try getting running as a standard as a rev1 and see if that's the problem?
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Engine turns over but won't start

Post by Peter Gidden »

Check again for the usuals:

fuel pump
power to coil, ignitor and resistor pack
sparks

No1 is cambelt end.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Engine turns over but won't start

Post by Ryan S »

might sound daft but it could well be flooded, i had this very problem, my boost gauge does a sweep before it registers, and sometimes it reads wrong, to sort it, yuou have to turn the ignition on and off a couple of times, anyway, i did this, and when it eventually started, it was running well rough, totally flooded, black smoke coming out the back,

are you getting a spark??

Return to “Mechanical”