Antenna/aerial location?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Finn

Antenna/aerial location?

Post by Finn »

:salut:

My -89 does not have a visible antenna/aerial anywhere on the car. None of my recent googlings have helped in this so I need to ask:

Is there a "hidden" electronic or such antenna in an -89 and if so where is it located, please?

My car has been repainted few years ago and the possible original external location has been welded shut - if these have had an external one that is.
boondougal

Re: Antenna/aerial location?

Post by boondougal »

should be on the drivers rear quarter panel, right near the rear corner just next too the spoiler. If you remove you boot lining on that side you should be able to see if the wires are still feeding to that point.

I,ve not heard of an OEM "internal" antenna but i guess if its been resprayed maybe someone installed one... might have used the rear window heating element... i heard that some after-markets can use it.
Finn

Post by Finn »

Thanks for the advise. :salut:

Has the original been a motor antenna by any chance?
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

Yep, its a motor. Should electrically rise when you turn the radio / car on.

very very prone to failure though.
XLarge

Post by XLarge »

Only the T-Bar Mk1b had this motor antenna in the quarter panel !

All Mk1a and Mk1b with tin roof and singel glas roof had a non motor teleskop antenna in the a pillar coming out of the front drivers side corner of the roof.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

XLarge wrote:Only the T-Bar Mk1b had this motor antenna in the quarter panel !

All Mk1a and Mk1b with tin roof and singel glas roof had a non motor teleskop antenna in the a pillar coming out of the front drivers side corner of the roof.

My 89 coupe (sunroof) had an aerial on the rear quarter panel. :mrgreen:
XLarge

Post by XLarge »

Than I´m wrong.

But Mk1a singel sunroof definitely had the antenna in the roof and the 89 T-Bar I´ve parted out had the rear quarter one.

The roof antenna looks ridiculous so I´ve welded the hole of it before the respray as well as the holes for the windshield washer nozzles. Took Mercedes Sprinter nozzles that are sitting on the wiper arms and a bumper antenna of a Mercedes CLK as replacements.
andyj

Post by andyj »

XLarge wrote:Than I´m wrong.

But Mk1a singel sunroof definitely had the antenna in the roof and the 89 T-Bar I´ve parted out had the rear quarter one.

The roof antenna looks ridiculous so I´ve welded the hole of it before the respray as well as the holes for the windshield washer nozzles. Took Mercedes Sprinter nozzles that are sitting on the wiper arms and a bumper antenna of a Mercedes CLK as replacements.

Not completely wrong :D My 1987 tin top has pillar roof mounted aerial.
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

andyj wrote:
XLarge wrote:Than I´m wrong.

Not completely wrong :D My 1987 tin top has pillar roof mounted aerial.

because your '87 car is an SC so therefor JDM spec. different markets,different specs
UK spec 1A had a roof aerial UK spec 1B had a rear 1/4 mounted electric aerial, other markets kept the roof aerial right through production
MartG

Post by MartG »

kevin..in wrote:
because your '87 car is an SC so therefor JDM spec. different markets,different specs
UK spec 1A had a roof aerial UK spec 1B had a rear 1/4 mounted electric aerial, other markets kept the roof aerial right through production

Nope - his '87 car has the pillar aerial because it is a tin top, not because it was JDM spec - my '87 JDM T-bar had the electric aerial in the rear quarter.

All 1As had the pillar aerial, but apart from the tin top 1Bs ( which were usually 'poverty spec' models, so didn't get an electric aerial ), all 1B sunroof & T-bar models got the electric aerial.
andyj

Post by andyj »

MartG wrote:
kevin..in wrote:

Nope - his '87 car has the pillar aerial because it is a tin top, not because it was JDM spec - my '87 JDM T-bar had the electric aerial in the rear quarter.

All 1As had the pillar aerial, but apart from the tin top 1Bs ( which were usually 'poverty spec' models, so didn't get an electric aerial ), all 1B sunroof & T-bar models got the electric aerial.

Very true. I know someone with a non JDM tin top SC ...with pillar aerial.

"Poverty spec" ](*,) Thankfully whoever bought it new forked out for the lsd option :lol: ...and I don't get wet when it rains :lol:
Finn

Post by Finn »

Poverty spec my a.. Mine must be an ultra rare factory Superlight or something... :whistle:
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

Finn wrote::salut:

My -89 does not have a visible antenna/aerial anywhere on the car. None of my recent googlings have helped in this so I need to ask:

Is there a "hidden" electronic or such antenna in an -89 and if so where is it located, please?

My car has been repainted few years ago and the possible original external location has been welded shut - if these have had an external one that is.

Well if nothing else this thread certainly gives you all the options of where it could be!
trunks_mk1

Post by trunks_mk1 »

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”