Back in another MR2 - Hi everyone

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

aj.extreme

Re: Back in another MR2 - Hi everyone

Post by aj.extreme »

Totally agree transforms the interior completely, thinking about the door cards too but think it may be overkill?? Maybe just the centre panels on the door cards in the same leather and red stitch.

I did carbon wrap the dash panels and it looked good until one very hot sunny day and the cabin baked peeling away the wrap at the edges where it was wrapped tightest in the corners, started looking aweful so ripped it all off. Seen a few pics with interior plastics painted Gloss Black with a clear coat to add shine and think that looks smart so might go down that route.

Re: the gauges i've just ordered 1x52mm Volt 1x52mm Oil pressure 1x52mm Boost 1x 52mm Fuel Level 1x52mm Water Temp 1x90mm Tacho 1x90mm Speedo

I've got a spare instrument cluster which is now in pieces and i've a good idea of how its all wired up, just need to mount in there the tacho, speedo, fuel and water temp whilst retaining the warning lights and indicators Hmmmmmmmmmm :-k

Something like this

But then stick the other 3 in the heater vent space on the stereo surround as i've a rather tasty Sony double din kinda like this........

Will have to get a bit creative with the fibre glass but i've had a bit of practice with all that now :wink:
aj.extreme

Post by aj.extreme »

synXero wrote:Re your new dash - the guys who are making me my exhaust have a car that's been fully rekitted with Defi gauges in the dash. I'll get a pic for you when I go up there to get my car back if you like!

That'll be awesome :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
synXero

Post by synXero »

I wasn't going to do the doorcards myself. Stock leather doorcards set it off nicely enough for me, and sadly my Celica seats aren't red stitch (I've looked into this :( ) - apparently if you remove a seat cover, i.e. to restitch it, your chances of getting it back on and tightly, nicely fitted are miserable? I suppose leather is tough stuff.

IMO overkill with the door cards, and the dash to me is a bit aerospace! But it's all about what you like of course :clap:
aj.extreme

Post by aj.extreme »

Agree think i'll just do the door card centre pieces and leave the rest as is, i like the transition between leather dash and plastic door card, the dash looks great with the centre tunnel and cubby box. Only last week missed out on a set of Recaro SR's i think for sale, black with red stitch would have been AWESOME!!!! someone on here snapped them up pretty quick and under £300 IIRC

Been looking at celica seats too but really want a red stitch on them so will prob keep the stock cloth ones until i can get them retrimmed, bit beyond me making seat covers. Or unless a set of suitable buckets come up for sale in the near future.

Once all materials/gauges arrive i'll get some pics up. When i get an idea in my heaad it usually dosent take too long to get it completed so watch this space :lol:
synXero

Post by synXero »

aj.extreme wrote:the dash looks great with the centre tunnel and cubby box

Can't agree more. The 2 should've come with real leather finish to contrast the plastics... It makes it feel like a totally different class of car. It really doesn't photograph well, but in person... I always loved the beams but now it is a world apart :D
aj.extreme

Post by aj.extreme »

synXero wrote:It really doesn't photograph well

Yeah thats very true, mine looks unassuming in the pics but up close is fantastic, look forward to showing it off this summer, something nice about running ya hand across it :-$
aj.extreme

Post by aj.extreme »

Well finally have an update for my little dash project going on, let me know what you think \:D/

Started off with the postman bringing me this little lot

Decided to mount 3 52mm gauges in the heater vent space so went about removing the trim and getting to work with the dremmel

aj.extreme

Post by aj.extreme »

Masked across the front of the trim and applied fibre glass from the rear pushing onto the tape to get a flat finish

Once set removed the tape and trimmed the rear to tidy it all up, now just fill the gaps and drill the holes, pretty simple really

aj.extreme

Post by aj.extreme »

Whilst i had the materials out i started on the instrument cluster too making a modified shroud to hold the gauges in as near as stock location as possible

Once the fibreglass had set and the holes cut i applied filler to smooth it all off and fill any holes/gaps

aj.extreme

Post by aj.extreme »

Smoothed of with sand paper and a coat of plastic primer

Then gave it a coat of black before leaving overnight ready for the gauges to go in :lol:

All fitted nice and snug, had to trim the rear of the instrument cluster to get them to sit nicely but went in pretty easily

Wiring them in was a bit tricky, thanks Peter for your help!

But once i'd figured out where to get the relative feeds from it was a doodle!

All wired in to the rear of the cluster so 100% plug and play. Remove the 3 connectors on the back of the cluster and it comes out as easily as it did before i started 8)

aj.extreme

Post by aj.extreme »

And Voila, what do you think so far?

I still need to tidy up the trim, wire in the oil pressure gauge to the sensor and calibrate the speedo but otherwise dead impressed and totally transforms the interior of the car. No more smd backlight mods for me :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Outstanding work sir :clap: Kudos for doing something completely different.

I'll be interested to see how calibration goes :thumleft:
aj.extreme

Post by aj.extreme »

Thanks i am chuffed with the outcome and as far as i'm aware the only mr2 like it with these particular dials ATM lol

Calibration should be pretty easy but i need to get the clutch sorted before i can do that. Not a bad days work, tomorrow brings about fitting the senders and a new alternator belt, finishing off the drop links and tidyin-up all the wiring including the EDFC looms running everywhere lol

Then she'll be ready for a clutch, wet sand and polish and off to the shows :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

It's been a long time in the making but the ends results will be fantastic. Gotta love a project car, until you get bored and want to fettle again, on the engine.. :whistle:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Excellent work- looks sweet!

I'm just in process of re-mod'ing my clocks as well, instead of filling the holes like you have (below) I've opted to cut out the whole panel and make up a new one in fibre glass and gel coat...very rewarding work 8)

Good effort :clap:
aj.extreme

Post by aj.extreme »

Yeah i was toying with the idea of cutting some sheet aluminium to make a new shroud and cut out the original completely but thought might as well have a go at this way 1st, if i balls up no bother just hack it up. Turns out to have worked a treat. Prob needs another rub down and paint but now i know it all fits and is wired in correctly thats no troubles to do :thumleft:

Used the same method as the heater vent dials, applied masking tape across the inside to create a flat surface over the stock gauge holes and just cut fibre glass to fit into the rear avoiding the indicators, warning lights and headlight,fog light displays. Found it held pretty well but applied some tiger seal round the edges just to make sure! Then once set got the hole saw and cut the holes cutting straight through the fibre glass and original plastic shroud. Cut the holes too small and sanded back to size to get a snug fit!

Will be keen to see your efforts :D
synXero

Post by synXero »

Good job dude good job!

Big question: is there any real functional advantage? :lol:
aj.extreme

Post by aj.extreme »

synXero wrote:Big question: is there any real functional advantage? :lol:

Ha, i've yet to test them out on the road but would imagine they are alot more accurate and easier to read then the stock dials, i now also have oil pressure and i'm wiring the water temp gauge into the coolant hose. Also the volt meter gives you a true read

The main benefit is the fact that its different, looks outstanding and all done by myself with a little help from fellow members :oops:

I've popped a video up on the MR2 page on Facebook

www.facebook.com/groups/112029135504061/

Check it out as you can see them working and how good they look compared to stock :thumleft:
synXero

Post by synXero »

aj.extreme wrote:Ha, i've yet to test them out on the road but would imagine they are alot more accurate

Dubious I think!
aj.extreme wrote:and easier to read then the stock dials,

Also dubious!
aj.extreme wrote:i now also have oil pressure and i'm wiring the water temp gauge into the coolant hose.

These will undoubtedly be more useful than stock. Will it be as easy to tell the car is overheating, or in fact easier? You'll need to know the proper working average temperature. With time they will become a lot better instruments for sure.
aj.extreme wrote:Also the volt meter gives you a true read

Definitely a good move. That said the voltage rarely actually matters that much :lol: If it starts it starts!
aj.extreme wrote:The main benefit is the fact that its different, looks outstanding and all done by myself with a little help from fellow members :oops:

Totally in favour of this, awesome job dude 8) 8) 8)

aj.extreme wrote:I've popped a video up on the MR2 page on Facebook

www.facebook.com/groups/112029135504061/

Check it out as you can see them working and how good they look compared to stock :thumleft:

It looks amazing. Glare, though, at all? How are they during the day?

I am well impressed by your efforts.
aj.extreme

Post by aj.extreme »

Tiny little update as the snows really rendering any work outside ridiculous. Came across this so spent yesterday stripping, prepping and painting

Thoughts? I think it looks spot on \:D/

To start................

To finish...............

Return to “Member Profiles”