ID My Exhaust?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Loque

ID My Exhaust?

Post by Loque »

Before christmas I, rather stupidly went on a drunken eBay spree. Many things were bought, some useful, others much less so. One of the things that has turned up to my (mild) excitement is an exhaust for my NA.

I had a little look at it today and offered it up to the car; lo and behold, it doesn't even vaguely look like it will fit. Although, it does bare some resembalance to the MR-2 Exhaust it would be replacing. It has Powerflow marks on the silencer and back-box, so I'd presume it's a custom set-up of some variety. The main problem with it is that the 'pipe' doesn't extend far enough along the back box, there is about a 10-20cm gap between the downpipe and where this system would join.

I'm looking at sacking it off and probably re-listing it, but I'd like some more accurate information about what revs/engines it will fit, so the next owner could use it a bit more effectively than I can. Maybe it's off an earlier rev? A 5s?

Compare this to a standard system and you'll note that the flange is usually about halfway along the backbox. That's not the case here.

O/S Mount... Looks familiar...

N/S Mount... Less so...
madbasshunter

Re: ID My Exhaust?

Post by madbasshunter »

I think it is for a 3sfe engined mr2 as the downpipe goes further across. I have seen a few powerflows where they use one mount and make the other :roll:
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

If you decide to sell and go after another I've got a custom N/A back box for sale mate, PM me if interested :) I have pics and I'm not looking for a fortune :lol:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

here's a powerflow i sold a few years back, this was a direct fit, looks to me like yours has been cut with another silencer added in, these are INSANELY loud with a decat!!!!
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

I've got one on mine and I love it. It was a tad loud with the small na engine in there ... God knows what it is going to sound like when married up to my beast of a V6 engine :twisted:

Hopefully I will find out at the end of this month \:D/

Good exhausts - if you like the looks I'd say its worth a bit of fiddling to make it fit as they do sound and look very nice IMO.
Last edited by KarlBristol on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

KarlBristol wrote:I've got one on mine and I love it. It was a tad loud with the small na engine in there ... God knows what it ps going to sound like when married up to my beast of a V6 engine :twisted:

Hopefully I will find out at the end of this month \:D/

Good exhausts - if you like the looks I'd say its worth a bit of fiddling to make it fit as they do sound and look very nice IMO.

have to agree, best sounding exhaust i've ever heard, when the car got to 4k rpm it sounded berserk!!!!
Rory

Post by Rory »

Powerflow have a pretty poor reputation.... I think it looks terrible/home made. (Just my opinion) What does it look like from the rear of the car?
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

I've heard that power flow have a very very good reputation, so I'm not quite sure where you've heard that from? They even give a yearly free health check and lengthy guarantee on their stainless exhaust systems as they are that confident in their products.

It's the only photos that I've got to hand so it's not the best but it looks like this;

Before my lights were done:

Looks good IMO and I'm yet to hear an exhaust that sounds better :thumleft:

Rory

Post by Rory »

Just google "powerfolow rubish" - Youll find plenty of people talking about crap welds, rusting stainless etc. Maybe you got a good one. Was it engineered to the car? They look home made to me and the workmanship looks terrible. Glad you like yours though
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Rory wrote:Just google "powerfolow rubish" - Youll find plenty of people talking about crap welds, rusting stainless etc. Maybe you got a good one. Was it engineered to the car? They look home made to me and the workmanship looks terrible. Glad you like yours though

to be fair, you can google ANY product with the word rubbish behind it and you'll find crappy reviews :lol:

iphone 5 rubbish :D

http://forums.reghardware.com/forum/1/2 ... on_review/
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

I looked at an xr2i that had had a full powerflow stainless system fitted and found it was actually a mild steel timax system with a stainless back box!
Loque

Post by Loque »

sheppy wrote:
...iphone 5 rubbish :D

Coz it... Is...

Thanks for the pictures Karl. I'm still umming and erring on it if I'm honest, suits your car a lot better than it would mine I feel; I'm running standard wheels, spoiler etc.

Originally I wanted something with slash cut and burnt tips, along with probably slightly smaller exits. But xorsts for N/As seem to be a lot harder to find. When this snow clears I'm going to attack it with some metal polish, stick it back on the bay with a start price of somewhere near what I bought it for and be done with it.
cosmos

exhaust

Post by cosmos »

Rory has the measure i had a Powerflow system from Stratford Motorsport on 90s Astra GTE the hanger brackets were a mess, welded in the wrong place, started to tear the back box like a heinz can, went to complain and they had done a moonlight flit with equipment. I had an inspection from another franchise who condemned it and Powerflow OKd a complete new system, sounded tinny compared to my Jettex.
Ethan21

Post by Ethan21 »

Yh i had a full powerflow system on a saxo vts i had

Sounded like a 2 stroke not that i minded i thought it was funny, snapped a weld, and dont ask how but the exhaust tips were welding on upside down - i wish id kept a photo. So in my experience not so great
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Back box snapped off on my primera gt replaced with a power flow and I was happy with mine!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Ethan21 wrote:Yh i had a full powerflow system on a saxo vts i had

Sounded like a 2 stroke not that i minded i thought it was funny, snapped a weld, and dont ask how but the exhaust tips were welding on upside down - i wish id kept a photo. So in my experience not so great

a 1.6 is always gonna sound sh1te though, regardless of exhaust, BWWAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH. horrible!
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Lol +1

Ethan21

Post by Ethan21 »

sheppy wrote:a 1.6 is always gonna sound sh1te though, regardless of exhaust, BWWAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH. horrible!

I cant argue with that
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

powerflow =; no thanks!

general rule of thumb, very poor. There maybe the odd franchise here and there that are good but ive not seen them.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”