Where to go with MR2 ownership... odd post.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

snotrag

Where to go with MR2 ownership... odd post.

Post by snotrag »

Last summer I bought this

(Edit - did have a photo linked but forum rules wont let me! '99 Rev 5 sonic shadow, FYI, bleonged to 'jonny c' iirc )

From a known forum member on here. A proper solid, well kept car. I'm currently in two minds whether to keep it or not, let me explain -

Previously I had MX-5s for years before hand, did all sorts to them, so this was quite a change. Active member on all the forums, lots of meets, lots of events and drives, lots of modding, tinkering, playing etc, good old fashioned car fun.

I've not done any of that since the Toyota though, with a new more pressured job, my first house, etc etc. All I've really done with the Toyota is drive it to work, down busy, shockingly rough, dark muddy roads, which is no fun. Its nearly always filthy, it rarely gets its legs stretched etc, and as such - I hadn't originally gelled with it. I even don't really like the colour, I much prefer a nice bright red car or whatever, especially for a sports car, but you simply can't be picky with 2nd hand cars.

I've since flirted a bit with selling it for another MX-5, or maybe a MR-S Roadster. I'm also likely to go to two cars again soon, with a snotter old shed for driving to work. This is to stop me spoiling my 'fun' car, and also having two cars makes projects and tinkering a lot easier.

Recently there's a few things that are swinging back in the Toyotas favour though, I've managed a couple of little trips out in it, theres been a handful of mild dry days.

As I start to think about spring and summer I also reckon it must make an excellent road-trip car, round the highlands or the Alps with the tent in the boot.

It would be a massive shame to sell it as its fundamentally such a good car - solid body, solid mechanics, sorted suspension and brakes. I've put a new clutch and alternator in, there's just only niggles that stop it being perfect. And I like that its a Rev 5, just than teeny bit rarer and unusual.

I've not even had it a year yet either, I feel like 80% of the driving I've done in it has been to work and back, and/or in the dark and p1$$ing rain, and that's a shame!

If I keep it (and your going to tell me I should!), what should I do? Should I mod it? Its a slippery slope...! There's a few bits I don't like - I don't think the OEM dampers are very well matched to the springs, and I don't think Toyo T1's are a good tyre for it, way to soft and squirmy and I hope that a stiffer tyre and/or 16" wheels would bring back a bit of sharpness to the handling.

Should I, in fact, turbo it? Part of me thinks, its such a nicely kept one, its the ideal base. I couldn't find a Turbo in anywhere near as good nick when I bought it, hence ending up with the N/A. I know its a whole other argument in itself, but I wonder whether a punch in the back of boost is the little extra that gives these cars their character. Also, every car I've had has been handling first, power second (Peugeot GTis, MX-5s etc). I've never had a car where the engine and the shove dominates the drive.

Is it going to come alive and get its own character? Hopefully when not having to use it daily it should immediately feel a bit more special anyway!

Bear in mind, the reason I drive stupid old Jap sports cars and not a financed 3yr old Golf TDi, is I like the whole ownership experience - Cars are a project, I like to work on them myself, experiment, go places, meet fellow owners.

Sorry this is a bit of a rambled nonsense post, but I wonder if anyone here has any thoughts or wisdom!
Torero

Re: Where to go with MR2 ownership... odd post.

Post by Torero »

snotrag wrote:I like the whole ownership experience - Cars are a project, I like to work on them myself, experiment, go places, meet fellow owners.

You just said it, buddy.

I went out for a drink with Kayjay0_7 and Racer7 on Friday and it turns out that our cars don't move for weeks on end but the enthusiasm about what we would like to do or change on them and the general chat on the forums is what keeps us going. The friends you make when you go to meets and the driving experiences during the summer are worth more than money That is why we own these cars.

An engine upgrade or change will help you keep your eye on the ball and bond with the motor, Johnny certainly kept the car in top nick and it is well known around here and if it doesn't flot your boat it shuld sell easily.

Nice to have you on board and if you decide you want to keep it then it'll be good to have you around.

I hope that helps.

John.

ps ....and welcome :thumleft:
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
Loque

Post by Loque »

Torero wrote:
I went out for a drink with Kayjay0_7 and Racer7 on Friday and it turns out that our cars don't move for weeks on end but the enthusiasm about what we would like to do or change on them and the general chat on the forums is what keeps us going. The friends you make when you go to meets and the driving experiences during the summer are worth more than money That is why we own these cars.

Genuinely, and I don't mean to pick holes here - but I don't find the Toyota community as welcoming as some others. Your views may vary and all that, but it's good to know there is a social/meet side to these forums as I haven't seen that yet.

snotrag wrote:Previously I had MX-5s for years before hand, did all sorts to them, so this was quite a change. Active member on all the forums, lots of meets, lots of events and drives, lots of modding, tinkering, playing etc, good old fashioned car fun.

From what I've seen (I've driven a few, but never owned) this is a pretty standard MX-5 experience, the community behind them is great, and they're easy to drive, accessible cars, if that's your bag. Sadly you won't get that with owning a MK2. Can't speak for any of the other shapes though as I've never so much as driven such.

snotrag wrote:...I hadn't originally gelled with it.

Completely understand that. After a few months of ownership I was very close to selling mine, as like you said I just didn't gel with the car. Eventually I took it for a drive up zig-zag hill and the surrounding areas before I did decide to bosh it up for sale. Fortunately enough I saw something in the car and it's still here, despite its reliability foibles. To be completely honest I still wouldn't say I've gelled with it after a year of driving it. But every time I get out the car I feel that I'm a little wiser, a little better driver, and feel that I've got to know the car a little bit more.

In terms of where you go with it if you decide to keep it, you've got a few things there already - 16" wheels, good tyres, and a decent suspension set up. The modification suspension wise for these cars is much more than 'bosh some coilys on and be done with it', as there is a lot of additional bracing and work with other parts that you might not first consider. All in all you can mod for improved control of the car - rather than just roadholding or handling ability.

Turbo the car? Up to you. I have no plans to F/I mine. I wouldn't mind a V6 swap though, should I win the lottery. I certainly find the car plenty characterful with the regular N/A lump.

HTH
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

snotrag wrote:Previously I had MX-5s for years before hand, did all sorts to them, so this was quite a change. Active member on all the forums, lots of meets, lots of events and drives, lots of modding, tinkering, playing etc, good old fashioned car fun.

I've not done any of that since the Toyota though, with a new more pressured job, my first house, etc etc. All I've really done with the Toyota is drive it to work, down busy, shockingly rough, dark muddy roads, which is no fun. Its nearly always filthy, it rarely gets its legs stretched etc, and as such - I hadn't originally gelled with it. I even don't really like the colour, I much prefer a nice bright red car or whatever, especially for a sports car, but you simply can't be picky with 2nd hand cars.

I've since flirted a bit with selling it for another MX-5, or maybe a MR-S Roadster. I'm also likely to go to two cars again soon, with a snotter old shed for driving to work. This is to stop me spoiling my 'fun' car, and also having two cars makes projects and tinkering a lot easier.......

Looking at your profile you are somewhere in Yorkshire. If you are looking to get more involved in the MR2 scene maybe you can go visit SBITS in Barnsley (S. Yorkshire) some time. Peter does organise mini meets there periodically. It's also a good place to get your MR2 work done :thumleft:

I'm surprised that you prefer the MX5 over the MR2 though. I have been running a BBR MX5 turbo for a year and a half and I have to say I can't see why so many people seem to rate it over the MR2 for handling.

I honestly can't see my MX5 being able to outperform my MR2 in any road situation really. But I like it for being able to drop the roof when it's sunny, being fairly quiet and easier on the wallet petrol wise :lol:

Having an N/A you are mostly limited to cosmetic mods unless you go turbo so would agree with the above suggestion that you maybe just get the suspension sorted for now. I personally love Koni adjustables with stock springs - very comfortable!
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

I'm in a similar situation for what it's worth - new pressurised job which is only 3 miles from home (as opposed to the 15 through countryside and city that I bought the GTI to cover), exasperated by the fact that due to the MR2 being a weekend car in the year I've owned it I've probably got 2-3 weekends at a time before I've had to take it back to Peter at SBITS (who I heartily recommend to all) for another major component to be replaced due to old age.

What keeps me going is the fact that I'm lucky enough to have a friend on here who is also a Rev 2 owner, a group of other friends who are interested in 20 year old Jap cars, and a shared enthusiasm for taking them abroad (generally to the ring) for driving holidays. If, in your heart of hearts, you want to keep the car. Start attending meets and meeting like-minded people. The Jap Car meets at Squires Cafe are a good one to start - if you see somewhat stock looking red rev2 and a chavved to the nines silver rev 2 parked up together, look for me and Dave and we'll happily chat and have a drink with you. :)
Rev 2 Turbo (Testing my patience)

Golf GTI MK5 (Competent but dull)
snotrag

Post by snotrag »

Cheers lads, lots to think about.

I've spent hours daydreaming about what to do recently (I'm actually in the first instance, currently hunting out something to use as a commuting car, I love a good sheddy bargain for £500)!

Ref Toyota / Mazda - I'm not at all interested in which is faster on paper - the idea about maybe doing a Turbo conversion is not actually just for it to be faster, but for it to come alive and be more fun and interesting, its the 'party piece' if you will.

I also really miss not having an open roof - however on reflection, I remember thinking how nice it was when I bought the Toyota, that it felt like both ends of the car didnt have just a big piano hinge holding them together!

(I wonder whether maybe I should sell the Rev 5... and replace with an earlier tidy T-bar Turbo car!? Thats what I actually wanted originally just couldn't find one that wasnt an absolute shed or way overpriced!)

Loque - I agree - I even stuck a post up last Autumn on here trying to organise a little run out (something I used to do a lot) and not a single reply, which was a little disheartening! I'd also be interested to see if there is some sort of social side to the forums as I have also not found it yet!

Marlowe - I live and work within spitting distance of Squires, pass it every single day. I've read, and heard, a lot about these supposed Jap meet nights.

But I've never been able to track down where or how they are organised, seems to be a bit mythical! I'd definitely bob along - if I knew when.

I'll be sticking a post up in the events section about another drive out soon (spring big breakfast meet) I'll be dissapointed if theres no interest again! :D
synXero

Post by synXero »

Remember also there's more than one MR2 owners club in the UK :thumleft:
Loque

Post by Loque »

snotrag wrote:
(I wonder whether maybe I should sell the Rev 5... and replace with an earlier tidy T-bar Turbo car!? Thats what I actually wanted originally just couldn't find one that wasnt an absolute shed or way overpriced!)

Not a bad shout, but I still think finding a good MR-2 is much like a needle in a haystack. Mine's a dog.

snotrag wrote:
Loque - I agree - I even stuck a post up last Autumn on here trying to organise a little run out (something I used to do a lot) and not a single reply, which was a little disheartening! I'd also be interested to see if there is some sort of social side to the forums as I have also not found it yet!

From what I've seen there does seem to be more events up north, which may be of use to you.

Also: How come this thread isn't on PH yet? :3
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

Maybe he didn't want a bunch of bmw owners laughing at our 'gutless' jap cars... :?

Loque

Post by Loque »

535d or nothing eh?

Yeah, I jest. :)
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

Remember: never try to keep up with a remapped 535d. They're faster than a GT-R.... :lol:

Loque

Post by Loque »

Marlowe wrote:Remember: never try to keep up with a remapped 535d. They're faster than a GT-R.... :lol:

Especially if they are driven by 'powerfully built company executives' who have a penchant for red bull from a can...
snotrag

Post by snotrag »

Had the chance at last to get some free time during daylight! Gave the car a thorough was, winter has really taken its toll. Cleaned up lovely and had a wee drive out with the missus for tea.
It definitely is a 'special', feeling car, it's the everyday commuting that's spoiling it in a way. Trip out to the UK coast tomorrow over the moors, and be good to wind it up a little!
dan4

Post by dan4 »

Kongaroo wrote:

I'm surprised that you prefer the MX5 over the MR2 though. I have been running a BBR MX5 turbo for a year and a half and I have to say I can't see why so many people seem to rate it over the MR2 for handling.

I honestly can't see my MX5 being able to outperform my MR2 in any road situation really. But I like it for being able to drop the roof when it's sunny, being fairly quiet and easier on the wallet petrol wise :lol:

I thought the same about my mx5. I tried a mk1 mx5 last summer and like you say it was nice to get the roof off but the handling wasnt all that and i found it caned fuel along with it being gutless. I really didnt see what the fuss was about

But I get where the OP is coming from, im not feeling the same with my rev3 as I did with my rev1. It just doesnt feel like special, perhaps the tinkering il do will change that with time and a jaunt to Italy soon may help. My rev1 had a short shifter, apex springs and AD08's. It felt so much tigher than the rev3 but the recent TRD shifter and Eibach springs has made the world of difference, be nice to drive it properly again when the weather tidies up a little ](*,)
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

im on my third mr2, i had a rev1 n/a tbar and i loved it then had the rediculous idea of selling it and buying a starlet gt turbo.....that turned out to be the shortest ownership ever!!!!. I missed my mr2 so much i brought a rev3 tin top but i never really gelled with it.....i think it was the t bar i missed even with the drips. So i brought my currrent rev1 turbo, i brought it on a whim on ebay without looking lol and it was cheap and needed work after a few weeks i wondered why i brought it but now its a year later almost and everyday i seem to love it more and more. Plus the engine cover will never seize up as im in it everyday messing around.

When you look at an mr2 they never look old and dated. I agree that they are not as fast as current bmws etc but the experience is priceless. I have a friend who just brought an m3 for £17k and he loves my car as much as his.

They are strange and i gauruntee if you sell it you will buy another one. They have some sort of attachment that forms in your brain which makes you think you cannot live wihtout one.

Someone else said finding a good turbo is like a needle in a haystack but its worth it and if your willing to get your hands dirty you can make it your own and maybe love it as much as i know love mine lol
LukeSi

Post by LukeSi »

snotrag wrote:Had the chance at last to get some free time during daylight! Gave the car a thorough was, winter has really taken its toll. Cleaned up lovely and had a wee drive out with the missus for tea.
It definitely is a 'special', feeling car, it's the everyday commuting that's spoiling it in a way. Trip out to the UK coast tomorrow over the moors, and be good to wind it up a little!

Fancy meeting you on here :D
I say keep it, still haven't got mine yet though :P.
If it is a good one then mod it.
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

4ndee wrote:im on my third mr2, i had a rev1 n/a tbar and i loved it then had the rediculous idea of selling it and buying a starlet gt turbo.....that turned out to be the shortest ownership ever!!!!. I missed my mr2 so much i brought a rev3 tin top but i never really gelled with it.....i think it was the t bar i missed even with the drips. So i brought my currrent rev1 turbo, i brought it on a whim on ebay without looking lol and it was cheap and needed work after a few weeks i wondered why i brought it but now its a year later almost and everyday i seem to love it more and more. Plus the engine cover will never seize up as im in it everyday messing around.

When you look at an mr2 they never look old and dated. I agree that they are not as fast as current bmws etc but the experience is priceless. I have a friend who just brought an m3 for £17k and he loves my car as much as his.

They are strange and i gauruntee if you sell it you will buy another one. They have some sort of attachment that forms in your brain which makes you think you cannot live wihtout one.

Someone else said finding a good turbo is like a needle in a haystack but its worth it and if your willing to get your hands dirty you can make it your own and maybe love it as much as i know love mine lol

Its "Bought" not Brought!

surely you know the difference?
vishpish

Post by vishpish »

snotrag wrote:Had the chance at last to get some free time during daylight! Gave the car a thorough was, winter has really taken its toll. Cleaned up lovely and had a wee drive out with the missus for tea.

Tough call to make mate. Did you always daily drive your mx-5s? What kind of mod's did you go with?

Ideally you want 2 cars man...one cheap comfy daily and the weekend car to tinker with. But it is so damn expensive :(

I think the best decision I ever made was to 'give in' to the mr2 being a second car. Basically 3.5yrs ago, I had an accident in a 180sx and it led to my insurance company (I was 20) not quoting on renewal of the mr2 (v6'd). I ended up getting a Lupo Gti and have had it since then.

The mr2 is on the road and working after so much work and so many more mishaps but I'm now heavily in debt and in a situation where the priority is always with the Lupo fixing and servicing xxxx and as it happens uprating xxxx because I never just replace things with stock parts! The additional cost of two insurances, two road taxs, two MOT's, two services, two fill-ups at the petrol station is also worth taking into account because it does all add up.

In hindsight I do much prefer dailying a comfy quiet non-race clutched non-race suspension car but it has defo cost so much more to get there.
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

snotrag wrote:
As I start to think about spring and summer I also reckon it must make an excellent road-trip car, round the highlands or the Alps with the tent in the boot.

Exactly what I did with mine. The Highlands, Cornwall, Switzerland, Italy, the south of France. Best bit about the car imo - they really do feel special.
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

Loque wrote:
Marlowe wrote:Remember: never try to keep up with a remapped 535d. They're faster than a GT-R.... :lol:

Especially if they are driven by 'powerfully built company executives' who have a penchant for red bull from a can...

Mapped 535d won't do, nowhere near enough imagine.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”