[Mk2] [NA] Something that has baffled me since ownership

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR2HOT

[Mk2] [NA] Something that has baffled me since ownership

Post by MR2HOT »

Guys

Since owning my Rev 3 NA, something has always baffled me which is whenever i start the car and pull away i hear like a woosh noise which sounds a bit like a dump valve on a turbo car. It does it every time i pull away and the noise only lasts a second but it happens every time i first pull away. I don't ever seem to remember my old Rev 2 MR2 doing this. It almost sounds like trapped air or unused air is released from somewhere when you first drive off. Is this normal? i presume it is as the car has always run great but its just something ive not heard on any other car before and since im lacking a turbo its certainly not a dump valve ha ha. Any ideas?

Liam.
Loque

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Something that has baffled me since ownership

Post by Loque »

Presumably it's not the induction kit? (if you have one fitted?)
Donato

Post by Donato »

As said, possibly the induction kit or aftermarket panel filter that's causing it.
MR2HOT

Post by MR2HOT »

No its not induction kit as im running a standard box and there are no modifications to the car at all. Its very strange as like i say it does it every time i start the car up and pull away and then it does not make the noise at all when driving but if i turn the engine off if popping out then return to the car start up and pull away i get the swoosh noise again, it lasts for literally a split second and as it does it every time i presumed it was a standard thing that happened to the mr2s. Very srange.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Brake servo??
9000rpm

Post by 9000rpm »

I used to have a celica GT4 (st165) and it used to make a stange noise for a few seconds the first time you pulled away after it had sat somewhere for a while, it sounds like an electric pump noise to me more than an air noise.

the car could be ticking ofer for ages and not make the noise but it would as soon as it moved and it saw some wheel speed. I think it was something to so with the ABS system but no idea what it was doing.

has you car got ABS and your ver 2 didnt?
MR2HOT

Post by MR2HOT »

Yes my car has ABS on it and my previous Rev 2 mr2 didn't. Like i say i dont think anything serious can be wrong as the brakes work fine all be it the fronts do squeal a little but i checked the pads and there practically brand new.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Clutch?
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Loque

Post by Loque »

Certainly is the obvious thing if it comes in when you're pulling away...
MR2HOT

Post by MR2HOT »

Yeah but if it was the clutch it would do it every time i pull away which it does not, once i have started driving the noise is then gone and will not make the noise again until the engine has been switched off and started back up again. Its only the initial pull away once the car has been started. Its really hard to explain, i will try and get a video clip of it making the noise if it will pick the sound up and ill post it up for you to have a listen. Like i say its like a dump valve noise.
Loque

Post by Loque »

If it only does it once, sounds like a self test on ABS/PWS or something like that.

I eagerly await your video...
MR2HOT

Post by MR2HOT »

[quote="Loque"]If it only does it once, sounds like a self test on ABS/PWS or something like that.

This is what i thought it might be some sort of self test of the power steering or ABS and was hoping it was a standard thing but i guess none of you guys have this noise unless you all have turbo cars. Anyone out there with a rev 3 na shed any light?
MR2HOT

Post by MR2HOT »

Just been searching around on the net and other people have said about this noise and one guy said "its the ABS Priming itself as the wheels start to move"

Hopefully this is what it is, im just suprised nobody else on here has heard this noise in there car if this is what it is. :?
synXero

Post by synXero »

I can't say for sure but I had a rev3 NA without ABS and I don't remember that noise. Also my rev5 NA with ABS doesn't I'm relatively sure. Ill be sure to check.
Loque

Post by Loque »

I have a rev 3, N/A with ABS. I notice the priming noise that you speak of, but I don't notice it sounding like a dumpvalve... I'm driving home in an hour or so, I'll keep an ear out! :)
Alex O

Post by Alex O »

Mine does this after hard braking to a standstill over bumps.

Pretty sure it's the ABS servo. No problems have arisen as a result in 9yrs of ownership.

Wouldn't worry about it
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

+1, ABS self-test. activates at ~2-3mph.
MR2HOT

Post by MR2HOT »

Cool thanks for clearing that up and yes your right it makes the noise at a couple of mph. Im glad its normal and nothing to worry about so thanks for the reply.

And Alex its funny you say that as for the first time last week i hit some bumps while braking for a roundabout and it made the noise then too.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

if youhave PAS and the steering wheel isn't turned for a couple of minutes and you're sitting at the lights the pump turns down to idle. When you start rolling or turn the steering wheel the pump speeds back up and it's pretty noticable if you dont have a stereo running at the time.

Return to “Mechanical”