[Mk2] [NA] Coolant Issue - Water Bypass Hose

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kendoskeg

[Mk2] [NA] Coolant Issue - Water Bypass Hose

Post by kendoskeg »

Evening all.

Just signed up for Premium so I'm hoping someone will save me from having nightmares about what's happening to my MR2.

Apparently (after months of it drinking coolant) I've been told by a garage that I have a leak somewhere around the water bypass hose, near the area where it goes into the thermostat housing.

According to the garage it is reasonably common, but I've not been able to find out a great deal on the internet.

I've not got mu tools with me at the minute to get in and have a look but the water bypass pipe has corroded where it enters the thermostat housing, which is also corroded, and I'm struggling to find a seller in the UK that supplies the replacement parts with all the gaskets and fittings.

Had an extremely worrying day today, the car had been stood since 12 yesterday afternoon, I went outside to top up the coolant in preparation for tomorrows drive to work, and it basically started leaking straight away, like pouring water into a glass with no bottom.

Have a look at these, taken from just in front of the rear wheel on the drivers side;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATRWPiYPXeg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9gXWLFJlnI

Some further info (ignore the fact that the pipe pictured is for a turbo).

The garage say that on the end of the bypass hose where it meets the thermostat housing as seen here;

There is a pressed metal gasket/o-ring that fits here;

That is not listed on this diagram of part numbers;

So the garage (and Toyota) are assuming it comes with the pipe assembly, and that it is probably this gasket (as well as corrosion as stated before) that is causing the issue.

Anybody had this problem before?

Any idea where I can source the new part from (calling TCB tomorrow)?

What's worrying me the most is that there isn't a great deal of info on the net about this, not what I can find anyway.

Thanks for any help that you can provide!
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Coolant Issue - Water Bypass Hose

Post by Peter Gidden »

There is a flange gasket and an O ring. Both in the EPC.

A clue to what car and revision might reward you with part numbers.
kendoskeg

Post by kendoskeg »

My humble apologies. After a tiring day with the car and in my desperation for answers I forgot to include the relevant information.

Rev3 N/A import, GLimited L reg.

I've been led to believe the gasket in question has no part number, and is 'included' in the pipe package? Have I been told wrong?
dan4

Post by dan4 »

Ive changed said rotten pipe on an ST185 with the turbo still on, pita, but should be easy on a 3sge and i cant imagine it would be hard to get a 2nd hand part from a trader here?

Return to “Mechanical”