rev3 best mod

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

nath severs

rev3 best mod

Post by nath severs »

hi ,i own a rev3 N/A and although its suppose to have slightly more power than the rev 1 and 2 it doesnt seem that much faster infact about the same as my other mates rev 2,s one other lad also has a rev 3 and he says the same ,someone told us its because of the cat and air box and if the cat is removed we will feel the difference compared to the rev 1 and 2s ,is this true ,as how can a car with 20 bhp feel the same as a car with with l20 bhp less ,or is there something else cheers
gazrev1tubby

Re: rev3 best mod

Post by gazrev1tubby »

20 bhp - that's if both engines are still delivering their claimed output, really isn't that much difference. It's not horse power that makes a car fast, it's torque - so the only way to know for sure, is to put both cars on the rollers, and see what the outputs actually are..

Rev3's are typically heavier than the earlier models, as they had a few more refinements - bear in mind that weight will suck power. Heavy items that may or may not be fitted include:

Power steering
Air con
Abs
Bigger/aftermarket wheels?
Extra bracing
Audio equipment
Etc etc

It's also down to individual driving styles

As long as the car is well maintained, what does it matter if it's no faster than your friends rev2?
nath severs

Post by nath severs »

hi,yea i hear what ya saying there ,it was more to finally find out what the differences were really more than anything as we get told and heard that much different things about them ,ive got no intention of making it quicker as i have a bike for me kicks ,but wish id never spent months looking for a low milage rev 3 when really it wouldnt of mattered lol #-o
Adam86
Premium Member

Post by Adam86 »

Rev 3-5 also have door bars adding weight over the rev 1-2
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Rev 1 and 2 had lower gear ratios so although they have 20 bhp less they get to 60 quicker but were slower the higher speed you get.
The CAT will restrict it aswell :(
No 2 :(
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

MR2 Rich wrote:Rev 1 and 2 had lower gear ratios so although they have 20 bhp less they get to 60 quicker but were slower the higher speed you get.

Total rubbish the ratios are the same on the S54 box.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

How come the 0-60mph is 7.2 for rev1 and 2, and 7.6 for rev3+ with 20 bhp more then?
No 2 :(
dan4

Post by dan4 »

My rev1 felt miles quicker than my current rev3 although im currently having a slight running issue
HurleyRacing

Post by HurleyRacing »

the S54 boxes have the same gear ratios, however the Japanese domestic version of the box has a different final drive.
-Race Car Preperation -Engine Rebuilds
www.hurleyraceengineering.co.uk
[email protected]
Rob

Post by Rob »

MR2 Rich wrote:How come the 0-60mph is 7.2 for rev1 and 2, and 7.6 for rev3+ with 20 bhp more then?

As said, the extra weight and less torque.
Rob

Post by Rob »

MR2 Rich wrote:How come the 0-60mph is 7.2 for rev1 and 2, and 7.6 for rev3+ with 20 bhp more then?

As said, the extra weight and less torque.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Rev 1's supposedly had about 137 lb/ft from the factory but if the rollers are to be believed mine had 142 lb/ft after nearly 170,000 miles some 5 or 6 years ago.
It certainly isn't uncommon for people who've owned both to voice the opinion that the bum dyno makes the earlier cars quicker but I didn't know the official figures did likewise. Unusual for a manufacturer to revise a sports car and make it slower... you sure those 0-60 quotes are accurate?

R
Mike

Post by Mike »

The difference in horsepower isn't as great as you think. A healthy OEM revision 1/2 NA produced 158bhp. A healthy OEM Rev 3 173bhp. The Rev 4 dropped to 168bhp.

All have pretty much identical straight line performance, a 0-60 around the 7.5 sec mark, and a top speed nudging 140mph.

Even if your car was making bang on 173bhp and your friends 158bhp, thats only a difference of 15bhp, a difference you are very unlikely to be able to discern in real world conditions.

The difference in weight between the Rev1/2 and Rev3 plus is marginal when both specced the same. However, a Rev1 with a tintop or sunroof, no aircon, no LSD etc will be significantly lighter than a Rev3 T-Bar with all the options ticked.
nath severs

Post by nath severs »

hi ,yes this is a tbar with all the xtras plus stupid big wheels,however after having time to play with the car abit its now a let better infact feels like a different car ,the acis was near enough siezed and vacuum pipes were not in the best condition ,also the map filter looks like it had collapsed inside ,also the dizzy cap wasnt the best either and the fuel filter was well not really a filter anymore ,its now pulling alot harder and smoother ,but still i wouldnt of said there was a great deal of difference between them ,and 7.6 or there abouts sounds about right now to me i think .

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”