whos fitted a screen in dash????

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Grant

whos fitted a screen in dash????

Post by Grant »

anyone here fitted a screen in there dash?
I am thinkning of ditching my motorised headunit and fitting a screen in the two din slots but need some help advice... like best screen how easy or is a custom fit job etc.

thanks.
Grant
Stretchermunkey

Re: whos fitted a screen in dash????

Post by Stretchermunkey »

Hi Grant
I bought my N/A import 4 months ago, fitted by ther prev owner is a double din screen, with built in DVD / CD etc, since then my car has been broken into twice (parked by house), although I really like the look of the screen in the dash, it just seems to attract to much of the wrong attention.
On the plus side I do think it looks very cool.
Dont mean to put you off, but these B*****ds do alot of damage to paintwork, dash etc when they attempt to nick it,
Steve :pale:
scann2

Post by scann2 »

I agree, my GT4 came with a similar unit and then some bxxtard smashed the window and tried to remove it. Luckily they didn't get far and it was only the glass which needed replacing, thank god :-)
I would stick with your Kenwood unit, same as mine i think wasn't it? #-o
nutter

Post by nutter »

I was concerned about this so i have a single din flip out screen. It looks like a normal radio, then flips out when switch it on.

HTH
G-Limited

Post by G-Limited »

I agree that visible screens can attract a lot of unwanted attention, however I try not to let the b*stards stop me doing what I want to MY car! ;)

I had a 5.6" screen lying about from a trip to Hong Kong a few years ago so decided to `french` it into the standard centre console.

I own a 93 G-ltd import so already had the double DIN aperture. Therefore I simply cut out twin the air ducts at the top of the console and blended-in the screen surround using fibreglass and filler.

You can then flat it and spray it a gloss colour or, paint it in a `bumper repair paint` which is textured and match it to the gear lever insert plate as I did.

This leaves a slot big enough for my Alpine head unit.

...all I have to do now is wire it up to a PS2 etc....(its been 3 months since I fitted the screen! lol) :oops:

Excellent resource for this type of modification: http://www.caraudiohowtos.com/
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

I had a flip oiut screen and changed to a moulded one - two tips, use plastic bumper filler, normal filler cracks to easy, make sure you get your angles right, unless you have tinted windowsyou will get glare from your rear window and you cant change your screen angle.
heres my attempt

visit www.mp3car.com for good fabrication tips amd how to make good use of your screen!!
Last edited by Neil_turbo on Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Grant

Post by Grant »

what screen did you use? how much it set you back?
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

I used a pixelon screen, not the biggest name in the world i know but exactly the same inside as a lilliput. It is a touchscreen as well so great to use with laptop! set me back 140
Grant

Post by Grant »

what connections does it have on the back?
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

it has 1x vga port (like all monitors use to connect to pc)
1x usb out (touchscreen out to pc)
and 2xRCA style (like xbox uses!)
sorted!
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

Interesting comments. I bought a motorised flip-out screen a few weeks ago, and apart from lack of time to fit it, am concerned about someone putting the window through (there's no removable facia).
Perhaps some sort of removable cover for the double-DIN area is needed to cover things up when the car is left on it's own...
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by Grant »

i agree with that a double din cover would be good. i have had my wondow smashed twice as they tried to steel my motorised screen. the 2nd time the facia was removed!!!

only prob with a double din cover would be stereo would have to sit flush with the dash... the cheaper option is buy a big map book and just lean that against the dash when parking the car so no one can see (1.00 from petrol station) :)
marcnoonan

Dash DVD

Post by marcnoonan »

Hi Grant,

Managed to fit a 7" fixed DVD player screen into my Mk2, fortunately the old radio supports fitted and with the help of 2 small bolts as spacers managed to get flush with the dash and it looks the dogs.

Only had to do a slight trim on the radio surround but the re-wiring is a git.

Have fun

Marc
Rich

Post by Rich »

Something Im thinking about. Got the alpine motorised touchscreen all singing all dancing one but might move it up to the vents (it covers them when open anyway lol) and mount a liliput touch screen in the double din to connect to the laptop and h/u.

Is it hard to maintain that feel the dash has as standard as I dont want it to be smooth or painted differently to standard really, any tips would be good.
G-Limited

Post by G-Limited »

With regard to keeping the dash looking `stock`, I used black `bumper spray`, which leaves a very fine, matt finish.

I`m not sure if this is purely used by professionals (as my friend is a sprayer) but i`m sure you can buy it in Halfrauds. It is much finer than any kind of `underseal` type bumber finish.

This leaves a slightly textured feel to the finished panel, which blends in well with the rest of the `dull` plastic around the gearlever and ashtray.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Might be trimming it in alcantara anyway but if not it will want to look stock. Cheers, I did think that might be what could be used, doesnt hurt to give it a go in the long run anyway, get a new bit of trim if it looks cack lol
Grant

Post by Grant »

i have a 7" motorised screen which is powered by the processor (hidden away) so was just toying with the idea of a screen insall in both din slots but would need to be able to have a input on the scren for the processor to feed into (as its the processor thats that brain)
LuizeGT

Post by LuizeGT »

iv just bought one too with the intention of dash mounting it, thinking of making it so its not flush but set in a bit and some sort of blanking plate that matches the dash and sits flush so its not so obvious for chavs that have a quick glance.
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

LuizeGT wrote:iv just bought one too with the intention of dash mounting it, thinking of making it so its not flush but set in a bit and some sort of blanking plate that matches the dash and sits flush so its not so obvious for chavs that have a quick glance.

Yes, I'm also thinking along similar lines, although there's a limit to how far back you can set the unit in due to the screen extending out when powered up.
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

in dash DVD

Post by Tom Solan »

Just thought it worth mentioning about the units we have made for us.

We have a "7 LCD motorised (with remote) screen which incorporates a PAL system TV. This is fitted on top of our single din DVD, CD, MP3 Head unit (with face off ) and with the screen in the off position and the head unit face removed there is nothing of interest to see. I will post some photos of this set up as fitted in an MR2, on our web site (nvicars.co.uk) tomorrow.

Cheers

Tom

Return to “ICE and Security”