[Mk2] [NA] Engine Rebuild

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JesterTiger

[Mk2] [NA] Engine Rebuild

Post by JesterTiger »

so its begun...
Started the other day on rebuilding the 3S-GE engine i got from clive. everything is cleaned, most of its painted. New bearings main and Big end from Hurley. New Piston rings also from Hurley. Complete Gasket kit, both top and conversion.
So far the pistons are back in the bores, Crank is in, Head is on and 1st stage torquing is done (need my breaker bar back for 90deg 2nd stage). started to put the timing gear back in. ran across a few small issues. 1st, the timing covers don't match the back plate.. think the back-plate is a 3S-GTE one. (seems to match the pictures on the clear one on ebay).
(im not being stupid am i?? this is the wrong cover.. so with that backplate, can i run the clear one??)

2nd is the Tensioner. its not standard for that engine.. someone has drilled the head and fitted it. the holes in the head are only M8, and are not up to the job. Bent bolts also don't help.. its going out to the proper size of M10 in the morning.

trying to work out this whole thing with the timing pin on the cams. i read somewhere about it being +-2.5 to 5.0 deg by moving the pins to either side of the standard hole on the camshaft. has anyone else played with this yet? and if so. whats the best position to stick them in?

Im glad i have spare parts on the other engine.. i put the knock sensor in, forgot it was there and dropped a ratchet onto it snapping the top..
Most of the bolts where not structural are being changed for stainless. i hate having to go back to rusted old ones on a new build..

btw, those odd rings in the bore's proved most useful when getting the pistons and rings back in.. made the job so much easier, even with a ring compressor.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Engine Rebuild

Post by Peter Gidden »

JesterTiger wrote:2nd is the Tensioner. its not standard for that engine.. someone has drilled the head and fitted it. the holes in the head are only M8, and are not up to the job. Bent bolts also don't help.. its going out to the proper size of M10 in the morning.

OEM tensioner bolts are M8.
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

The history that came with the engine shows that it had a
Nipparts J1142023 Timing belt tensioner>93
Dayco 94131 Timing belt
Blueprint ADT37626 Idler bearing
fitted late 2009.
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
JesterTiger wrote:2nd is the Tensioner. its not standard for that engine.. someone has drilled the head and fitted it. the holes in the head are only M8, and are not up to the job. Bent bolts also don't help.. its going out to the proper size of M10 in the morning.

OEM tensioner bolts are M8.

Think Jeff found that out Peter
"however i made a total custard cream up with the bolts. drilled and tapped to M10, went to fit the tensioner. and (next time DOUBLE CHECK THE THING) has 10mm holes one side, and slotted 8mm holes the other."
taken from http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/41/156080 ... 3#p1641318
JesterTiger

Post by JesterTiger »

yup i found that out... however they are now M10. the thread had totaly gone in one, it had been helicoiled and the helicoiled had pulled out, so resulted in being drilled out and re-threaded.. now with nice big chunky stainless bolts in.. (i need to check the back of the tensioner next time.. didnt notice it was 8mm on the other side.. ).Timing belt is now on. all timed up. inlet is on. injectors were cleaned and fitted with new seals. timing cover is the only issue. im not sure what one is supposed to be on that back plate.
engine turns over really smoothly.. i cant wait to get it into the car..
im onto Gearbox's now.. is there a difference on ratios between the JDM gearbox and the UK one? and would fitting a UK one mess the speedo drive up?

Clive.... the thermostat doesn't work.. did the suspended in water and then heated up thing, the stat is 82c, even when boiling it wouldn't open.. did you notice anything when you had it? (i have a new one on order, but was curious as it was running when i got it off you.)
Last edited by JesterTiger on Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JesterTiger

Post by JesterTiger »

here's some update pictures...
all Timed up :Image
Injectors fitted:
Inlet system on:
Sump on:
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

JesterTiger wrote: the thermostat doesn't work.. did the suspended in water and then heated up thing, the stat is 82c, even when boiling it wouldn't open.. did you notice anything when you had it? (i have a new one on order, but was curious as it was running when i got it off you.)

:? the car always got up to temp, just over halfway up on the gauge and stayed there, heater got hot, so always seemed ok to me :?

Return to “Mechanical”