[All] [Generic] Exhaust manifold fabrication

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Wingers

[All] [Generic] Exhaust manifold fabrication

Post by Wingers »

Does anyone have any good contacts that could help out with exhaust manifold production?

I'm looking to end up with a twin scroll, equal-length manifold without any external wastegate ports, so I need to either buy one (but I can't find anythng so far) or make it from scratch.
Assuming I end up making it from scratch then I could do ideas for all of the following:
Flanges - material and/or laser/water cutting (3SGTE - rev1 to divided T4)
Tubes - material and mandrill bending

Welding I should be ok to arrange myself but if there's a good company that does the whole lot in one then it might be easiest to let them do it all.

I'd appreciate any helpful pointers at this stage so please let me know if you've been here before and have useful experience

Regards,

Wingers
bobhatton

Re: [All] [Generic] Exhaust manifold fabrication

Post by bobhatton »

There is only one place to go for manifolds

http://www.racerxfabrication.com/page38 ... page5.html

This is a photo of my manifold made with 321 stainless, Burns collector and slip joints together with 60mm waste gate flange

Last edited by bobhatton on Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

first off what power are you looking to make, the stock cast item is good for well over 400BHP and doesn't crack
i made my own as i wanted a top mount turbo setup, i used 316L stainless Schedule 10 tube although 321 stainless is the best but very expensive.
i had the flanges laser cut from 10mm 316L as well ( i have the CAD file in DXF format as well for a Rev 3 head) all TIG'd together with 316 rods and gas purged the inside.
so far (and its been on over a year and had some abuse)ive only had 2 cracks form and both of these were caused by an oversight on my part, i hadn't reinforced and supported the wastegate. heres what i ended up with, its not perfectly eaqual by any means but it does the job.

Wingers

Post by Wingers »

Thanks for the response guys.

Bob - RacerX looks pricey but I'll give them a call to see what they can do for me. It's a pain that they're in the US but your manifold looks great so it's a good advert!

dawsey - I'm not convinced I need it from a power perspective as I was making 460+ previously on a (hand ported) stock item. I'm hoping for 500 this time around so I think a stock manifold would work, but it doesn't have the right flange as I need a T4 pattern.
One thing I should look into though is whether I can get an adaptor to fit. It might do and I could retain the twin-scroll effect of the stock manifold so the only compromise I would have to make is the lack of equal length primaries.
I've not yet mocked up the new turbo so I don't know if it's likely to work in (approximately the) stock location though. That could be the end of any chance to use an adaptor...

Thinking about it I've got a funny feeling the divide is the wrong way round on the stock CT26 as well so that might scupper it too. I'll have to have a look.

Wingers
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Wingers wrote:Thanks for the response guys.

Bob - RacerX looks pricey but I'll give them a call to see what they can do for me. It's a pain that they're in the US but your manifold looks great so it's a good advert
Wingers

The best is always going to cost lots, its just the way it goes
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
ashley

Post by ashley »

Full Race do twin scroll equal length manifolds, and there's no question of the quality :thumleft:
greeny

Post by greeny »

No question about the quality of the full-race manifolds.

I've hung a T4 turbo, 2x external gates, with screamer pipes and a 4" side exit exhaust with no support's and upto now hasn't cracked. (I reaaly should support it).

Only trouble is it's not a top mount manifold, although im sure they'd make you one, but be prepared to have your pants down!

I originally had the manifold made for me as a one-off (putting alot of time and effort/money into it), but then they decided to go back on their word and supply others with it!

The worlds fastest Mr2 used my manifold :mrgreen:

Jeff @ racerx certainly seems to make some nice goods and there's also KO racing who seem to be good quality. (all in the US though).

I take it you've managed to get a hold of an EFR with not wanting any gate flanges on the manifold?

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... ht=gt4094r

TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

Yes. Finally got my EFR through \:D/

I might be wrong but I don't know of anyone running one in an mr2 yet so it should be interesting.

I wasn't planning to run a top mount but I might be forced to if I can't fit it in below.

Am I right in assuming that stainless is the only way to go?

Wingers
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

nope you can use mild steel but obviously it will rust. stainless also has the benefit of not conducting heat all that well as well though
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Here you go - http://peteellis.wix.com/ptr-exhausts

The guy makes all exhausts for the british F3 and more.

He is only a stones throw away from you too.
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

Thanks Nathan.
Will give him a call too.

Wingers

Return to “Modifications”