Rev 1 JDM vs Rev 1 UK

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JesterTiger

Rev 1 JDM vs Rev 1 UK

Post by JesterTiger »

OK. now i have been through all the documents online. listened to everyone about these engines. yet im finding differences between the engines. and not just the odd bracket here and there. Timing belt. thats the first one. the JDM has a Sprung tensioner, the UK has the Oil Pressure fed one., the rocker cover is different, well more the oil breather system. the JDM one is a longer drawn out affair. it seems to make the gases condensate before allowing it to reach the inlet manifold. the UK spec one is just a plate with a hole in it. all i can see that JDM one doing is making the emissions slightly better.. Cam shafts dont look the same in design. the UK spec ones are like the 3S-GTE versions. they have notches inside the cam cover area that align with notches on the cam clamps. the JDM doesn't have these. it also has multiple holes on the Cam pulley ends to put the Knock pins in. the JDM ones only have 1 pin hole. Sump on the UK spec has the Oil Level sensor. JDM doesn't have this. Inlet manifold, the UK spec has a 5th Cold start injector. the JDM doesn't. also the JDM has a Lambda sensor, the UK doesn't. what this all means though im not quite sure. which is the more reliable? which would be better power wise? I like my MR2. but its beginning to be a bit of an annoying headache. and i haven't even driven it yet.. still at least i got the locking wheel nuts off..
synXero

Re: Rev 1 JDM vs Rev 1 UK

Post by synXero »

I can't help you out much here, as I thought the engines were the same, unless of course you've had a colossal oversight and one is a 3s-fe :lol: (I doubt it)

I did want to chime in though and ask - could you retrofit an oil level sensor?
foxy-stoat

Post by foxy-stoat »

I would say neither engine is more reliable/powerful, only how its been driven and serviced makes any difference.

None of the slight changes in JDM and UK engines would make any difference in the real world driving, ie, you will still get to work on time and you wont shave tenths of a second off the time if the Stig drove both cars around the TG test track.

You may notice a few HP if you put both engines on a dyno side by side but that would mean nothing unless they were both brand new, or been driven and serviced identically from new.
We ALL make mistakes !!! :)
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

JesterTiger wrote:which is the more reliable?

Can't see why there would be a difference.

JesterTiger wrote:which would be better power wise?

Can't see why there would be a difference.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Japan uses 100 RON fuel. Therefore, the JDM n/a engine will be mapped to this grade of fuel, whereas the UK will be mapped to standard 95 RON. If you run the JDM engine on 95 it will be down a tiny bit on power supposedly.....
JesterTiger

Post by JesterTiger »

OK. pics are a tad grainy. but heres some of the small differences. 1st, cams. the one loose is the JDM cam the UK one is still in the head. Image

heres the rocker covers. bottom is the JDM. top is the UK Image

i did notice one thing and will look closer later when im in not so much pain with my back. but the cam lobes on the JDM one looked longer duration ie they were less sharply rounded. (think thats right. Peter you may have to correct me on that.) the last thing i noticed was all the UK stuff had the Yamaha logo. the JDM one doesnt..
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

JesterTiger wrote:Peter you may have to correct me on that.)

Rev1 UK and JDM N/A cams are identical.
JesterTiger

Post by JesterTiger »

ok so the cams are the same even though physically they look different. even down to the pin hole on the end being a single one on the JDM like the rev 3 rather than the 3 pin hole rev 1 uk ones. makes you wonder if these were made in the same factory around the same time. why they look totally different. must add that question to a list i have for the jap's if i ever get over there.. (got loads like that over stuff done with bikes too). so right, then if its all the same. i dont have to worry. i can use all my injection system and such and there should be no difference. good. just the bearings to sort on the other end. and put the thing back together. (and change every oil seal.. most of the ones on the UK rev1 are solid and leaking.)
JesterTiger

Post by JesterTiger »

OK. last post on all of this. cause i don't think i even started on a level playing field with all this.. what ever has been done to this G-Limited i don't think its how it ever came out the factory. i took pictures of the heads side by side, both are different to each other. so i don't have 2 rev1 engines sitting here. so somewhere along the line something got mixed up.
My original engine is a Rev1 head. however i have been trying to push that something wasn't right with the camshafts. and now i think i know what it is. after taking pictures of it all. it looks like someone has put TWO inlet camshafts in. both of them have the dizzy timing slot on the end of the camshaft.
pic 1 : JDM head Image
you can see the differences quite clearly.
pic 2: Rev 2 head Image
Pic 3 twin dizzy slots? Image
pic 4 cam number on Rev2 cams :Image
I can't seem to find that part number for the camshaft on the lists of camshafts for MR2's
(taken from another site) :3SGE
1989-1991; IN: 13501-79016, EX: 13502-79016 (Rev1)
1991-1993; IN: 13501-74041, EX: 13501-74041 (Rev2)
1993-1997; IN: 13501-88460, EX: 13502-88460 (Rev3&4)
1997-1999; IN: 13501-88560, EX: 13502-88560 (Rev 5)
mine isnt on that list......

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”