[Mk2] [Turbo] K36 UNL V12

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Super_red

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] K36 UNL V12

Post by Super_red »

Awesome. I saw one of these in a Diablo kit car with 4 turbo's mounted abouve the gear box. T25 or T28's I think, it wasnt made clear but they were from a doner Nissan that the car builder bought for the headlights.

I have seen lots of people talk about fitting a turbo in the rear of a front engined car, lots of benefits apparently, this way makes even more sence to me, this is the correct way round.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I've yet to find any photos of a FMIC on a '2 and nothing of turbos being mounted there. This is all I've seen previously but it's pretty extreme. :shock:

Post by 37831999 »

Yeah see that one in a previous post, I'm gonna run all the pipe work through the tunnel where the fuel tanks usually goes, and run a boot mounted fuel tank
synXero

Post by synXero »

37831999 wrote:Yeah see that one in a previous post, I'm gonna run all the pipe work through the tunnel where the fuel tanks usually goes, and run a boot mounted fuel tank

Shame, the car was going to be so practical before :lol:

Can hardly imagine the noise this thing will make.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

I'm struggling here, how is running metres of boost piping going to be effective?
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
synXero

Post by synXero »

100% insulated from engine heat I guess?
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

It'll be better than the one in the pictures since the run from the turbo to the IC will be as short as a front engined car. Granted from the IC to the engine is a fair run but not that bad if you keep the TB at the front of the engine as the engine itself is quite far forward. Some BMIC's have stupidly long runs if they dont have a reversed manifold.

Side exit exhaust by the front wheels will have a few people confused!
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Massive lag though surely? Still struggling.
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
ashley

Post by ashley »

charged wrote:Massive lag though surely? Still struggling.

V12 capacity should help over come the lag :wink:
rs007

Post by rs007 »

Its a crap load of induction pipe to inflate to pressure - but with the V12 and a big dirty turbo it will be very interesting!!
ashley

Post by ashley »

One of the funny things about that install with the 3SGTE in is that they welded the hot and cold pipes together- should allow the hot pipe to warm the cool pipe up nicely after taking all that effort to run the air to a FMIC :lol:

Post by 37831999 »

I'm not expecting rapid spool up at all! But the 5.0litre should be able to power the turbo with enough to compensate for the extra piping. The throttle body will literally be between the seats so about 2metres in total for the charged air to travel. The turbo being mounted in the front also keeps engine bay temperatures down, as well as the engine temperature not heating the turbo intake side up. The other thing is I'm kinda greatful for any lag I get as the engine before the turbo comes in should be running around 300+ bhp, plenty of power to get me going! I'm hoping I'd have gained traction before the turbo comes in.
synXero

Post by synXero »

37831999 wrote:The other thing is I'm kinda greatful for any lag I get as the engine before the turbo comes in should be running around 300+ bhp, plenty of power to get me going! I'm hoping I'd have gained traction before the turbo comes in.

:lol: Such a good problem to have.

Definitely going to buy this car off you in six years time 8)
rs007

Post by rs007 »

37831999 wrote:I'm not expecting rapid spool up at all! But the 5.0litre should be able to power the turbo with enough to compensate for the extra piping. The throttle body will literally be between the seats so about 2metres in total for the charged air to travel. The turbo being mounted in the front also keeps engine bay temperatures down, as well as the engine temperature not heating the turbo intake side up. The other thing is I'm kinda greatful for any lag I get as the engine before the turbo comes in should be running around 300+ bhp, plenty of power to get me going! I'm hoping I'd have gained traction before the turbo comes in.

:lol:

That puts it bang into perspective; you are going to have more horsepower off boost, than my car can even dream about on boost lol

Again, I salute you lol!
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

2 metres total boost pipe is comparable to some BMIC's I've seen. I'd be tempted to run the boost pipe to the throttle straight through the cabin, centrally above the gear selector. Straight out the dash vents!

Tunnel's got to be pretty cramped with the exhaust, water and turbo oil pipes. I'm guessing the exhaust is about 4 inch?

With the boost pipe visible you could weld a mechanical air temperature gauge straight to it!

Post by 37831999 »

Exhaust will probably be a 4" yeah, I've saved some room by removing the water pipes :-) so will have 2 exhaust pipes,1 boost pipe,2 oil pipes. Should be able to fit all that in the tunnel.

As silly as this is I want it have no visible signs of what's been done. Wanna have that sleeper thing going on when next to Porsches etc lol so no boost pipe running through the cabin lol ( for now anyway lol )
Rob

Post by Rob »

Fantastic project - hats off to you!

Putting the fuel tank in the boot will surely cause massive pendulum weight balance issues? Not only that but it is a dynamic load, moving side to side and reducing with fuel use.....
synXero

Post by synXero »

Rob wrote:Fantastic project - hats off to you!

Putting the fuel tank in the boot will surely cause massive pendulum weight balance issues? Not only that but it is a dynamic load, moving side to side and reducing with fuel use.....

Look to the advent of the modern fire truck! You can reduce the free body effect by putting fins in the tank. It will still be a massive rear weight, but then it's already got a huge engine and maybe the gigantic front turbo will match the weight? :lol:

Curious - you'll have the space I guess... Why not twin turbo?

Post by 37831999 »

I'm not overly keen on the fuel tank going in the boot but there's nowhere else to put it :-( it's gonna be foam filled to stop the sloshing. Maybe if it becomes an out and out track car the tank can replace the passenger seat lol

On the other hand more weight on the back wheels can give more grip on the pull of, it's a case of just much weight to get how much grip at what cost of handling.
Jayridium

Post by Jayridium »

with reference to the picture posted earlier:

would that "Integrated Custom Roll Cage", that seems to be made out of similar profile alloy tubing to that which Cusco make our strut braces from, actually offer any protection in the event of a crash?

Return to “Modifications”