[Mk2] [Generic] Lift rating for equipment for mk2 engine swap

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

robo

[Mk2] [Generic] Lift rating for equipment for mk2 engine swap

Post by robo »

Hi Guys

Just planning ahead.... For the purposes of lifting rear of car for engine extraction what would be the recommended minimum rating I should be looking at for block and chain or engine crane? With the engine released and on a trolley I'm guessing that just lifting the rear of the car will be comparitively light? I'm guessing a min of 1t rating is safe? Cheers
alanmr2turbo

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Lift rating for equipment for mk2 engine swap

Post by alanmr2turbo »

yes 1ton will do it. The whole car only weight i think 1.3ton
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

You'll need to lift it pretty high though if you want to lift the car up and pull the engine out from underneath. Not sure if you've already considered that or not but it's worth bearing in mind.
I took the inlet manifold off when I did it that way. Also check that the front bumper isn't on the floor as you lift the rear - probably best to get the front as high as you can before you start.

Wingers
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

way over above is to put front wheels on some thick wooden blocks especially of you have a fibreglass aftermarketfront bumper :wink:
robo

Post by robo »

That's all good as currently just stock springs and bumper. Might consider having the fronts on ramps just to provide that extra height. Height over rear to lift no problem. Just trying to tick off various things ahead of transplant :) Cheers
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

I did it last week put the front wheels on scaffold planks and lifted the rear of the car onto axle stands using a trolley jack and blocks of wood. Removed subframe and used a Sealey engine crane to lower the engine box and shafts onto a metal trolley (as used in supermarkets for bread crates). Then push the replacement into place on a trolley and lift into place problem was the crane hasn't got a long enough arm! So had to lift the engine side with the crane and lift the gearbox with the trolley jack and blocks of wood.
Better than last time when I lifted the car off the the engine and subframe
robo

Post by robo »

Thanks Madbass for that scary photo :) and hey thanks for sorting out the replacement Rev2 winglets earlier this year as apparently the damage repair was £15 short of being a write-off and the bodyshop did a great job on the rear quarter. Cheers

Return to “Mechanical”