[Mk2] [Turbo] Clutch Problem - Hydraulic circuit.

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JasonB

[Mk2] [Turbo] Clutch Problem - Hydraulic circuit.

Post by JasonB »

Had a problem on my rev.2 turbo last week where the clutch pedal went to the floor and did not spring up.
Got the car home and by the time I got to look at things the pedal came back and all was well........ for about 5 mins then it did it again.
Left it again and with the engine off I pumped the clutch and went through all gears for about 10 mins.
Tried the same things again with the engine running and within 3 minutes the pedal goes down and stays down.
The master cylinder is around 5 years old but never done anything with the slave - the car is also fitted with a RPS heavy duty clutch and has been fine for 5 years.
It's taking air into the system from somewhere with the engine running - anyone come across this before or have any ideas where to start looking??
Thanks,
JB
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Clutch Problem - Hydraulic circuit.

Post by Peter Gidden »

It won't be taking air in.

Plenty of threads on this. Either your master cylinder seal or slave cylinder seal is on its way out. If its the slave, you'll get fluid leakage at slave cylinder.

Most likely master cylinder seal. Overhaul kit is about £25. Remove master cylinder, fit kit, refit and bleed. Job done.
JasonB

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Clutch Problem - Hydraulic circuit.

Post by JasonB »

Thanks for the reply.

The fact that it only seems to be doing it with the engine running had me confused - with no servo or anything it had me wondering what was going on.

I put a new Mr.T master cylinder kit in around 2008 - I would hope it lasts longer than that! Unless the system is taking a pounding from the extra load of the H/D clutch??
At least I have a pressure bleeder now to avoid a repeat of the fun & games the last time I bled it!

Regards,
JB

Return to “Mechanical”