[Mk2] [Turbo] Show me your boost controller

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

[Mk2] [Turbo] Show me your boost controller

Post by Ryan S »

ok, so i'm waiting on my EBC arriving, just wanting to see what people have done with them, i seen one a few years ago where the unit was separated and the face (with the screen and controls) was mounted in the ashtray, deffo one of the more creative places i've seen, so, let me see what you have :)

I'd quite like to put mine in the hole where the clock goes.
alanmr2turbo

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Show me your boost controller

Post by alanmr2turbo »

heres mine but im in the process of making another consol so it fits above my turbo timer

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

hmmmm, i've a feeling my controller might be too small for the clockhole :(
shinny

Post by shinny »

Here's my Gizzmo tucked away by my foglight switches:

No need for it to always me on display if you have a decent boost gauge :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

shinny wrote:Here's my Gizzmo tucked away by my foglight switches:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://www.shinny.co.uk/fanswitches.jpg

No need for it to always me on display if you have a decent boost gauge :thumleft:

oooo, i do quite like that, i mounted my turbo timer on my old car in the hole where the vent is under the steering wheel, looked really neat!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

how did you do that mate?? was there a space there? or did you have to cut it?? i meant to have a look when i got in the car but i forgot and i'm in the house now shattered after work :)
shinny

Post by shinny »

sheppy wrote:how did you do that mate?? was there a space there? or did you have to cut it?? i meant to have a look when i got in the car but i forgot and i'm in the house now shattered after work :)

In an import there are 4 spaces for switches there (3 on a UK car IIRC). Mine had been slightly butchered so there was only one switch present and the divider between the two on the right had been hacked out. Thus, once I got two foglight switches in place, I still had this double width gap which was almost perfect for the gizzmo. It needed the slightest of trimming to fit it in :thumleft:

If you have a UK spec dash panel then IIRC you already have two fog light switches and the headlight level adjustment knob in there, which would need to be displaced if you were to fit a Gizzmo there. TBH I don't actually know what should have been in that gap from the factory - I just took advantage of the gap.

MR2Jay on MR2OC fitted his Gizzmo in the sunglasses compartment under those switches (where my Defi controller unit is bolted to). Lots of people place boost controllers in a DIN storage tray too.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

i have an import, i guess i'll have to have a proper look, i've no din spaces :( most obvious place is on the steering cowl but i hate obvious looking stuff, i like it either hidden, or OEM looking :D still not heard back from Omori regarding their blue boost gauge :lol:their 45mm are only $100 without a pod, that's for white or green, hopefully blue is $100 too :)

edit: i keep my singlasses in the sunglasses holder :lol:
steve

Post by steve »

fitted using a b&q sanding sponge, a fully reversible mod
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

steve wrote:Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://www.str355.myby.co.uk/MR2GTS/PIC ... SBCID3.JPG

fitted using a b&q sanding sponge

a man, that is well nice, i guess this could have went in the drivers side vent too yeah?? althoug it would have been on it's side :)
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

HKS EVC4 mounted in the slot the ashtray should sit in, using a custom made piece to hold it in place.

I'm looking at replacing the EVC4 though, as part of a project I'm doing over the winter :)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

steve wrote:Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://www.str355.myby.co.uk/MR2GTS/PIC ... SBCID3.JPG

fitted using a b&q sanding sponge

i can't understand what you've done here mate, i'd like to do the same but in the space where the clock is. can you explain it to me?
steve

Post by steve »

if that vent clips out like the centre vents do, it could go there as well. just cut the sponge down to fit the vent hole and EBC, jobs a goodun.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Magic Beans wrote:HKS EVC4 mounted in the slot the ashtray should sit in, using a custom made piece to hold it in place.

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w37 ... G_0213.jpg

I'm looking at replacing the EVC4 though, as part of a project I'm doing over the winter :)

that's pretty nice, i seen one a few year ago, (can't mind who but it was on here) he had a similar shape boost controller and separated the face from the body, he'd used a PC type (ribbon i think) cable so he could hide the rest of the unit and keep the wee face in the ashtray, was well nice, i looove your centre console mate, i'd love to have all white plastics in the car!!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

steve wrote:if that vent clips out like the centre vents do, it could go there as well. just cut the sponge down to fit the vent hole and EBC, jobs a goodun.

ah i see, so the EBC is actually sitting in the sponge?? looks great man!!! i;d never have thought that was sponge!
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

sheppy wrote:
that's pretty nice, i seen one a few year ago, (can't mind who but it was on here) he had a similar shape boost controller and separated the face from the body, he'd used a PC type (ribbon i think) cable so he could hide the rest of the unit and keep the wee face in the ashtray, was well nice, i looove your centre console mate, i'd love to have all white plastics in the car!!

I looked at doing something similar with the PFC Commander but decided against taking it to bits when I saw how many solder points there were and how close to the delicate bits 8-[ My hands aren't as steady as they were so it wasn't worth the risk :lol:

The trim's painted in a white pearl, to match the bodywork. Not my doing but I do like looking at it. :)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Magic Beans wrote:
sheppy wrote:

I looked at doing something similar with the PFC Commander but decided against taking it to bits when I saw how many solder points there were and how close to the delicate bits 8-[ My hands aren't as steady as they were so it wasn't worth the risk :lol:

The trim's painted in a white pearl, to match the bodywork. Not my doing but I do like looking at it. :)

i'd like the whole lot done, dash etc...anthing that's black and isn't carpet :)
steve

Post by steve »

sheppy wrote:
steve wrote:if that vent clips out like the centre vents do, it could go there as well. just cut the sponge down to fit the vent hole and EBC, jobs a goodun.

ah i see, so the EBC is actually sitting in the sponge?? looks great man!!! i;d never have thought that was sponge!

yep, thats it :thumleft:

a hole through the back of sponge for the lead, the ebc shape dug out of the sponge and then shaped to fit the vent hole (or clock in your case).
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

you;re a genius man, i'll deffo be able to mount it in the clockhole!!!

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... ay&start=0

if anyone's interested, here's what i was going on about with the ashtray mod :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

sheppy wrote:you;re a genius man, i'll deffo be able to mount it in the clockhole!!!

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... ay&start=0

if anyone's interested, here's what i was going on about with the ashtray mod :thumleft:

Ahh yes, I remember reading that. :)

Return to “Modifications”