Fuel tank maintenance

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Polypedates

Fuel tank maintenance

Post by Polypedates »

Hi everyone,

I am now getting ready to refit my fuel tank. All the other pipes and lines are in and I can't think of anything else that needs to go in first:

So the question is, what if anything should I do with my fuel tank first? I assume replacing the fuel pump is recommended as a matter of course but is there anything else I need to address?

For the record the fuel tank looks to be in really good condition so only planning to clean it first.

cabbydave1

Re: Fuel tank maintenance

Post by cabbydave1 »

I would wax oil the top of the tank before you put it back in same with your brake pipes, just to stop them rotting in the future
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Have you replaced all the pipes & lines that pass through the tunnel Poly ?

It all looks very neat. New clips & fasteners etc
Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

No there is nothing new in there. All just thoroughly cleaned although I re-painted one of the brake lines as it was losing its original protective coating. I also re-plated the bolts and fittings where appropriate:

Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

Is this fuel pump ok?

http://www.fuelpumpsonline.co.uk/toyota ... 0056-p.asp

Seem to be all sorts out there so not sure what to get . I'll check the price for a Toyota unit but expect it to be £££. I just want a like for like replacement really as not looking for any extra power or anything.

Or should I stick with the original pump since it was working fine when the car came off the road?

Thanks
Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

:tumbleweed:
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

8-[

I've not had any experience with aftermarket pumps, I'd probably leave the original one in but maybe test it first. :-k

The BGB might help on the testing front.

I guess the dilema is do you leave it in and save the pennies only to have it fail and have to drop the damn tank again or replace with an aftermarket one of unknown quality. :-k I assume the Toyota one if reeeeeeediculously expensive?
Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

I guess the dilema is do you leave it in and save the pennies only to have it fail and have to drop the damn tank again or replace with an aftermarket one of unknown quality. [Think] I assume the Toyota one if reeeeeeediculously expensive?

Yeah that is the dilemma. Not much change from £200 for a Toyota pump.

I am beginning to think I might leave the original in and just give it a visual inspection and test and hope it is OK in the long run :pray:
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

I've never dropped a fuel tank (About the only part I've not removed from a mk1) so I've not got first hand familiarity with either the pump or it's location/fitment but I've seen plenty of suggestion in the past that it's theoretically accessible from above if holes are cut in the right place (I'm also pretty sure I've seen PW debunk this idea so take this post with a pinch of salt!).

Whilst you've got the tank out it might be worth investigating making appropriate access panels to allow you to easily replace the pump in future, then you can put the original one back in without worrying about it.
DNOS808

Fuel tank

Post by DNOS808 »

Do shine a torch into the tank through the hole where the fuel pump came out of and check for rust. One tank I opened up had gone rusty on the inside. It had a kind of tide mark where there was rust above the fuel level. The car it came from must have stood for a long time.

Unfortunately the rubber seal that is used to fit the fuel pump to the tank is not available any more. Thankfully the rubber pipe that joins the tank to the filler neck is. They tend to go rock hard and are very hard to reuse.

I tried to bypass Toyota and get a new pump direct from Denso but it was very hard to get any info from Denso and I suspect they must be under pressure from Toyota to not supply direct.
Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

Good call :thumleft:

I'll remove the pump, test it and inspect the inside of the tank. Then rust proof it before re-installation. I have some brush on underseal I can use or, if I'm feeling motivated, I'll give the whole thing a couple of coats of black POR-15.

I'll take a chance on the pump if it looks ok and works :pray:
Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

OK, in the end I removed and inspected the pump and it looked fine (as you would expect given it spends its life immersed in petrol) but more importantly it still worked OK so I re-used it.

Here are all the tank fittings ready to go back in:

Shown are the fuel pump, its cradle with supply pipes, level sensor, filler pipe, the filler inlet valve and the tank drain plug. Thought I'd put a picture up as a: I am a picture slut; and b: they are parts of the MR2 rarely seen.

Fortunately the inside of the tank was as good as new despite being off the car a year or so :thumleft: After inspection I decided that given the surface rust on the outside it would be prudent to repaint it first so stripped of the rubber pads and sanded it down ready for two coats of black POR-15.

Inside is good:

Outside a bit rusty:

And now rust free:

That won't be rusting again in a hurry :D Then it was just a case of putting it all back together. The seals were all OK - supple and crack free - so I just refreshed them with some silicone grease and re-used them. I also re-plated the various hose clamps etc. beforehand.

It is now all ready to go back in.

I just need to refit the rubber pads. The mounting straps have also been painted and the bolts and clips re-plated. I just need to glue the rubber mounting pads on them as well and then I can refit the tank . Anyone got a picture of the mounting straps showing the positions of the pads as I recall that they are fitted a specific way and I can't find the picture I thought I took of them beforehand? Whilst I was plating various bits I had a go with the fuel filler cap but it came out a bit psychedelic so I'll probably have another go at that sometime unless I decide I like it after all - its looking a bit 'groovy' :shock:

Gold with purple and green swirls! :lol:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Impressive attention to detail, Richard and nice work too.

Good that you've gone to so much effort on a part no-one will ever see. :+:

IME the inside of the fuel tank and pump is about the only part of the car that looks as good as new.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

Good that you've gone to so much effort on a part no-one will ever see. [thumbsup]

Thanks Lauren. Most of my family think I am mad but I don't see the point of putting something back knowing it is rusty or just not as nice as it could be. That said it does make for agonizingly slow progress. I'm not sure how many bolts and fasteners there are on a Mk1 but it takes forever to re-plate them all #-o
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Polypedates wrote:OK, in the end I removed and inspected the pump and it looked fine (as you would expect given it spends its life immersed in petrol) but more importantly it still worked OK so I re-used it.

They do fail, here is a picture of one that was also sitting in petrol, but petrol that had been sitting for eight years.

As can be seen from the pictures, the fuel crystalised over time and left the tank and pump covered in this coating also it reeked to high heaven the fuel had well and truly went off.

Deffo worth checking as it is a PIG of a job to do when car is all built up.
I would of mentioned before but have been silly busy at work.

Chris
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

very impressive restoration work with amazing attention to detail.

Its threads like this that make me wisj i had some OCD or something, i'm too prone to the "ahhh, it will do" syndrome

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

Thanks for the messages. I have completed this phase of the restoration the last few days. The tank retaining straps have been de-rusted in the electrolysis tank and repainted whilst the fittings have been re-plated:

The rubber pads were refitted to the freshly painted tank and with that it was ready for installation:

In the end I had to call on my mum to help with this as it requires someone to guide the fuel pump and fuel level sender wires up into the cabin whilst I reminded myself how puny I am by 'bench-pressing' the tank up into place and securing the straps. After a couple of false starts it was in:

Now I just need to decipher where all these pipes go!

:pale:
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

You're making a wonderful job of restoring the car Poly :thumleft:

Everything looks like new

Do you intend to use the car on the road when it's finished ?
Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

Absolutely - cars are for driving as far as I'm concerned and it's not like it has any historical significance!

I'm thinking a European tour once I am happy it is all working properly. No idea when that might be at this rate though.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”