aaaargh, i popped the needles off the rev counter and speedo!!!!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

aaaargh, i popped the needles off the rev counter and speedo!!!!

Post by Ryan S »

as title, was being really careful while doing the LED/Blue film mod (which looks 8) 8) 8) by the way) but now my needles are all to pot, is the only way to sort them with GPS and fit while driving?? obviously the rev counter is easy enough....

thoughts please folks :thumleft:
mrfil13

Re: aaaargh, i popped the needles off the rev counter and speedo!!!!

Post by mrfil13 »

I did this once, managed to find a long sstraight, sit at slow speed and fit. Not a fun experience and took a few attempts but I managed it.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Just dont crash with that £3k BOV on while doing it.... :mrgreen:
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

Lol, I done this myself.

I sat behind a lorry at 3am and replaced the needle to 56mph :)
dazzz wrote:I'm no expert but
craig

Post by craig »

gps
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

T.F.S. wrote:Lol, I done this myself.

how did you know the lorry was doing 56 :lol: :lol: :thumleft:
shinny

Post by shinny »

OK, I did exactly the same when I first did that mod.

In the past I have used long, empty straights and a GPS speedo to setup the speedo, although the opening sweep of Stef's delimiter is also handy for setting up a 180mph speedo correctly. Either method will probably result in a more accurate speedo than before - but I've got to stress the importance of having a very safe stretch of road if you're going to do the GPS method, as it's pretty fiddly and distracting. NOWHERE near side-roads, corners, housing or children for sure. Doesn't have to be 30mph tho - a quiet, straight 40mph or 50mph dual-carriageway is perfect

I do have a method for the tachometer - it involves applying constant 12V to the tacho signal port on the dial and then nudging the needle round anti-clockwise to see that it settles at about 1050rpm IIRC. I'd need to post a video to describe it properly. However you don't need such an accurate rev counter, so if you know what RPM your car normally idles at when warm (noting that sidelights and aircon both affect idle speed) then you can probably just set it up like that. My rev3 turbo (with ST205 ECU) is at 850-900rpm when warm and AC/lights off :thumleft:

BTW, would love to see photos when you've finished the mod \:D/
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:

They are limited to 56, a long line of lorrys all doing the same speed on the motorway at 3am is a bit of a giveaway.

Looking at a GPS and placing the needle onto the spindle I found almost impossible TBH.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

feck it, replaced the speedo and rev counter with the old ones, :thumleft:

still blue so still looks cool :)
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

T.F.S. wrote:
Steve-O 2007 wrote:

They are limited to 56, a long line of lorrys all doing the same speed on the motorway at 3am is a bit of a giveaway.

Looking at a GPS and placing the needle onto the spindle I found almost impossible TBH.

I dont think I would trust that as most I have seen go faster than 56... most people bypass the limiter with a simple mod.. but you havent been stopped / fined yet so it must have been fine lol :thumleft:

another way is AVCR / SAFC they display RPM and Speed
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

oh, i meant to ask, where do i get the delimiter?? does it go in the clocks?? i have no room due to the boost gauge :( or does it go on the back of them??
shinny

Post by shinny »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:another way is AVCR / SAFC they display RPM and Speed

RSM does this too - in fact it's almost all is does! Which reminds me, I really must sell mine! :whistle:

I've got one of these HUDs installed and configured it easily against GPS: http://www.speedview.co/ - I don't look at the stock speedo much anymore so don't care it's currently overreading by about 2mph :oops:

Edit: Darn, their website appears to be offline atm, so here's a camera phone photo from my car #-o

T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:
I dont think I would trust that as most I have seen go faster than 56... most people bypass the limiter with a simple mod.. but you havent been stopped / fined yet so it must have been fine lol :thumleft:

If you think that most lorrys exceed 56mph then you seriously need to get your speedo checked.
shinny

Post by shinny »

T.F.S. wrote:
Steve-O 2007 wrote:

If you think that most lorrys exceed 56mph then you seriously need to get your speedo checked.

Typical MR2 10% overread? :wink:
Nick

Post by Nick »

sheppy wrote:oh, i meant to ask, where do i get the delimiter?? does it go in the clocks?? i have no room due to the boost gauge :( or does it go on the back of them??

I just got one of theses http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0884687270 Dunno if its any good or even if it works yet .
heres the instructions http://www.svaspeedos.co.uk/pdfs/toyota/MR2.pdf
aj.extreme

Post by aj.extreme »

Did mine with the electrical delimiter/converter, it has a test setting that sweeps the needle to 60 and then 120 (I think) before settling to 0 on the rest peg.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Nick wrote:
sheppy wrote:oh, i meant to ask, where do i get the delimiter?? does it go in the clocks?? i have no room due to the boost gauge :( or does it go on the back of them??

I just got one of theses http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0884687270 Dunno if its any good or even if it works yet .
heres the instructions http://www.svaspeedos.co.uk/pdfs/toyota/MR2.pdf

cool, thanks for that mate, my clocks are in MPH though, i assume i can use this solely as a delimiter??
shinny

Post by shinny »

sheppy wrote:cool, thanks for that mate, my clocks are in MPH though, i assume i can use this solely as a delimiter??

Exactly what car do you have? And what does your speedo read up to? (110, 160 or 180mph?)

We've been discussing this on MR2OC this week - there isn't a great option now that Stef has stopped making his delimiter (which is the one with the sweep two or us have described above)
Last edited by shinny on Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Post by Nick »

sheppy wrote:

cool, thanks for that mate, my clocks are in MPH though, i assume i can use this solely as a delimiter??

I havn`t got a clue fella ? I was told the de limiter works as it turns you into mph then the limit goes from 180 kph to 180 mph . Other than that I`m clueless . I`m going to ask the person who fits my alarm to wire it up cos I hate wiring stuff up in case I balls it up .
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

shinny wrote:
sheppy wrote:cool, thanks for that mate, my clocks are in MPH though, i assume i can use this solely as a delimiter??

Exactly what car do you have? And what does your speedo read up to? (110, 160 or 180mph?)

We've been discussing this on MR2OC this week - there isn't a great option now that Stef has stopped making his delimiter (which is the one with the sweep two or us have described above)

a rev3 tubby, 160MPH clocks, :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”