[Mk2] [Turbo] Fuel Pressure Regulators and Fuel Cut Defencers

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mike

[Mk2] [Turbo] Fuel Pressure Regulators and Fuel Cut Defencers

Post by Mike »

Just got back from my rolling road session at Interpro, the car is indeed running lean above 5000rpm. AFM, Injectors, fuel pump were all ok, the issue seems to be that as the revs increase boost climbs north of 12psi and starts to nudge fuel cut. Fuel pressure was low but apparently within tolerance (just).

The mechanic advised me to install an FCD and to increase the fuel pressure with an adjustable regulator, so any suggestions?

p.s. Unfortunately due to the lean running, we couldn't do a power run but the mechanic did say it was making 250hp at 4800rpm so could be pretty good once I sort the fueling out.
bobhatton

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Fuel Pressure Regulators and Fuel Cut Defencers

Post by bobhatton »

Is this on a stock ecu and stock pump rail etc?

What was the fuel pressure and what are you calling lean?
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Mike

Post by Mike »

Yep, ecu and fueling componants are standard.

CO figure was 4%, fuel pressure without vacuum at idle was 48psi.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Mike wrote:CO figure was 4%, fuel pressure without vacuum at idle was 48psi.

What was the engine doing when the CO measurement was taken? Idling?

What were the measurements when the engine was reportedly running lean?
Mike

Post by Mike »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
Mike wrote:CO figure was 4%, fuel pressure without vacuum at idle was 48psi.

What was the engine doing when the CO measurement was taken? Idling?

What were the measurements when the engine was reportedly running lean?

The CO figure of 4% was taken at 4500rpm and 12psi boost which is where it's running most lean. At idle the figure was 0.2%.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

What was the air to fuel ratio at max power? That is the important information.
Did they use a wide band sensor?
What is your base ign timing set to?
What fuel did you use?
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Mike

Post by Mike »

bobhatton wrote:What was the air to fuel ratio at max power? That is the important information.
Did they use a wide band sensor?
What is your base ign timing set to?
What fuel did you use?

The car wasn't run above 5000rpm due to detonation. The reading of 4% that was taken at 4500rpm translates to an AFR of 13.

I don't know if they used a wideband sensor.

Ignition timing was set by Rogue about 6 weeks ago so should be spot on

Fuel was (and always is) Shell V-Power.
Mike

Post by Mike »

BUMP
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

You need to check your fuel filter, fuel pump and fuel injectors for blockages, there are filters in the pump and injectors
Mike

Post by Mike »

bobhatton wrote:You need to check your fuel filter, fuel pump and fuel injectors for blockages, there are filters in the pump and injectors

They did check the filter, which whilst old is apparently ok. He also said that the injectors and pump were fine too although the injectors are operating at the higher end of the scale duty wise. I assume he was just checking voltages?? Would that detect a blockage?

The thing thats confusing me is that even though the boost pressure is creeping, its only creeping to 12.5/13psi which should be well within the capabilities of the fuel system if the fuel pressure is indeed within tolerance.... :-k
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

Mike wrote:They did check the filter, which whilst old is apparently ok.

If it's old. Replace it.

Mike wrote:the injectors are operating at the higher end of the scale duty wise. I assume he was just checking voltages?

I assume he was checking duty cycles.

Mike wrote:Would that detect a blockage?

Unlikely.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hmmm, it appears that my MAP sensor (as in the turbo pressure sensor next to the diagnostics port) is disconnected. Would this mean that the ECU doesn't know how much boost is being generated and therefore isn't increasing the fueling to match?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Mike wrote:Hmmm, it appears that my MAP sensor (as in the turbo pressure sensor next to the diagnostics port) is disconnected. Would this mean that the ECU doesn't know how much boost is being generated and therefore isn't increasing the fueling to match?

From what I can see you have a Rev 2 so the "map" sensor only works the boost gauge and does nothing for the ECU.
With it disconnected you will never have fuel cut
Mike

Post by Mike »

bobhatton wrote:
Mike wrote:Hmmm, it appears that my MAP sensor (as in the turbo pressure sensor next to the diagnostics port) is disconnected. Would this mean that the ECU doesn't know how much boost is being generated and therefore isn't increasing the fueling to match?

From what I can see you have a Rev 2 so the "map" sensor only works the boost gauge and does nothing for the ECU.
With it disconnected you will never have fuel cut

Yeah, I guess the ECU looks to the throttle position sensor in order to determine how much fuel is needed rather than the map sensor.

It was worth a try.
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

Mike wrote:Yeah, I guess the ECU looks to the throttle position sensor in order to determine how much fuel is needed rather than the map sensor.

And AFM.
Mike

Post by Mike »

So chaps, how do I check the injectors and fuel pump for blockages?
Turbonoz

Post by Turbonoz »

RPM & load (AFM voltage in this case) dictate fueling firstly, TPS is used for enrichment if it's anything like the Nissan ECUs I work with.

48psi base fuel pressure? That's 10-12psi over what it should be. If the FPR is doing its job, and fuel pressure is rising at a rate of 1:1 with boost pressure, you should be running very rich. But you're not. Dodgy pump or FPR. Try the FPR first, it is cheaper. FYI, mine started to run lean at 1.2 bar (IIRC) and a 255lph pump cured the issue completely.

A dodgy injector may show up if you look at the plugs and if one cylinder has been running lean for some time. They can be flow tested and ultrasonically-cleaned.

It should have been run on the dyno with a wideband if you were having work done there, and not just a power run as you need an AFR plot. What was the fuel pressure on boost? There is no "nudging" of the fuel cut, it is akin to hitting a brick wall as all four injectors are cut instantaneously. Fitting an FCD is not required, as has been pointed out, you don't even have fuel cut enabled. Increasing fuel pressure on an old stock pump to mask an issue is stupid advice. If you must, take it to somewhere that knows what they're doing and will do a proper diagnosis for you :)

Why does everyone think 440cc injectors "max out" at the first sign of boost? 440cc injectors will not be anywhere near full duty on a CT26 at 12/13 psi whilst running at 13:1 AFR. Simply impossible. 1.4-1.5 bar with an uprated fuel pump at stock pressure with stock fuel rail/lines/FPR & stock ECU = Very Good Fueling :lol:

Check fuel pressure on boost, ensure it rises 1:1 with boost pressure
Replace fuel filter
Replace FPR
Replace fuel pump (access panel under the centre console :lol: )
Have the injectors flow tested

P.S. I have a stock FPR in mint working order :lol:
92 MR2 Turbo Rev2 stock engine, Link G3 TURBONOZ mapped, T78: 487bhp & 364lbft; 11.78@120. NOW BREAKING: www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1542658
94 GTiR: 12.08@115 TOTB Sold :(
92 300ZX: 12.6@113 (415bhp) 570bhp, 500lbft
00 Clio 172
05 WRX PPP

Return to “Modifications”